Space for PDU and Autocom?

djheaton321mentioned putting one in one of Mark's number plate boxes which would be a similar solution but I'm concerned about the heat from the (bloody noisy) Akropovic 'silencer' and I'm not sure how I'd get all the wires to it without disrupting the integrity of the box. I should have asked when it was suggested.

The toolbox is a lot closer to where everything needs to fit so the cable run should be less of a problem and exhaust heat not an issue but how did you keep it watertight?

Cymarc does list one for the 1250GSA but it appears to fit where the pannier goes so unless I'm mistaken it won't fit when the panniers are on. Given this one exists I assumed the one for the 1200 that fits inside the pannier rail won't fit the 1250. It's definitely worth an ask though. Thanks for the suggestion.

On our HD Super Glide I was only able to resolve the placement issue by cutting a hole in the bottom of the seat and putting the Autocom in there but there's not a lot of padding in the GSA's seat so I'm a bit loathe to try that.

Kevin

The toolbox is a lot closer to where everything needs to fit so the cable run should be less of a problem and exhaust heat not an issue but how did you keep it watertight?

Cymarc does list one for the 1250GSA but it appears to fit where the pannier goes so unless I'm mistaken it won't fit when the panniers are on. Given this one exists I assumed the one for the 1200 that fits inside the pannier rail won't fit the 1250. It's definitely worth an ask though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Kevin

Water does get in, but only a little, and it drains away through the holes in the bottom. I mounted the Autocom and radio on the vertical surface of the box using velcro, the water didn't get to it there.
It would be worth contacting Mark (he's on this forum as Mark Hooton) and asking him if the fit is the same as on the 1200, i.e. behind the pannier rails. I should think it would do, otherwise it is no use for anyone who uses luggage.

On my twin cam GSA, I fitted a tool tube on the inside of the pannier rack. Inside I kept a 5v commercial
PMR. It fitted a treat, and the whip aerial and the leads passed through a couple of holes that I was able to silicone up.

I can’t recall keeping my Autocom in there, I think it fitted under the seat, but it’s worth a try?

Thanks Fred, I shall have a poke around the bike there to see what I can do. We've also noticed a space behind the rear seat where we could put a box to hold it.

We went up to the Peak District yesterday and have just got back. That gave us the first real opportunity to give the Packtalk a proper try and for what we want it to do it's pretty useless in its current configuration.

How did you get on with the dual radio transmitters on your satnav?

Kevin

To be honest I've not made much progress with fitting the BlueTooth transmitters to the bike along with other farkles like my aux lights, dashcam and BikeTrac. Due to there being no real prospect of any European trips for the time being I'm rather lacking the motivation to get on with it, but the dual transmitters seemed to work very well when I hooked it all up off the bike.

Hi Ian, we're using mesh - DMC. You probably know they have to be connected via Bluetooth to facilitate audio sharing and we did consider trying Bluetooth for comms but that introduces the need to push to talk which we're not keen on.

Kevin

Kevin,

Didn't know about ptt if using Bluetooth on the Packtalk. Don't have the unit, I'm still with F5mc.
I'm trying to decide between the Avant and Packtalk.
For your situation, I've read on a Facebook page discussion, one guy says that due the Avant being a double btooth unit, he can have satnav instructions, and talk / listen to pax without interruption. Not sure about same music etc though, but with 4 btooth connections per unit I would have thought that you could both link individually to the music source.

I wouldn't be concerned about the heat. I haven't had any issues with the number plate box getting hot from the exhaust. There are a number of riders in our group who use this setup (and have done for quite a few years), all on GS's and nobody has had any issues with the exhaust heat.

I wouldn't be concerned about the heat. I haven't had any issues with the number plate box getting hot from the exhaust. There are a number of riders in our group who use this setup (and have done for quite a few years), all on GS's and nobody has had any issues with the exhaust heat.

That's interesting. My comment was based on this product from Cymarc. Do you or any of the other riders you know who've done this have an Acrapovic silencer?

Would you mind sharing a photo to show where you've run the cabling please?

Thanks.

Kevin

<snip> Due to there being no real prospect of any European trips for the time being I'm rather lacking the motivation to get on with it <snip>

I can understand that. I thought we'd be OK going to the Peak District on a Thursday but it was absolutely heaving which reminded me why I don't much enjoy riding in England. I guess that's our own fault for going to a National Park during the school holidays when not many are going abroad.

Kevin

Kevin,

Didn't know about ptt if using Bluetooth on the Packtalk. Don't have the unit, I'm still with F5mc.
I'm trying to decide between the Avant and Packtalk.
For your situation, I've read on a Facebook page discussion, one guy says that due the Avant being a double btooth unit, he can have satnav instructions, and talk / listen to pax without interruption. Not sure about same music etc though, but with 4 btooth connections per unit I would have thought that you could both link individually to the music source.

Would you mind telling me where you saw that discussion? I've been looking for a forum where Cardo/Bluetooth devices are being discussed in the hope someone there with a lot more experience of these things would tell me I'm being an idiot, this is what I'm doing wrong and after I fix that it will be fine. It's almost certainly a valn hope as I'm reasonably sure someone would have popped up here with similar advice but I thought it was worth a punt. I couldn't find such a forum.

Kevin

Kevin

Would you mind telling me where you saw that discussion? I've been looking for a forum where Cardo/Bluetooth devices are being discussed in the hope someone there with a lot more experience of these things would tell me I'm being an idiot, this is what I'm doing wrong and after I fix that it will be fine. It's almost certainly a valn hope as I'm reasonably sure someone would have popped up here with similar advice but I thought it was worth a punt. I couldn't find such a forum.

Kevin

Kevin

Kevin.

This was just a post ref helmets and they had mentioned that they had the Avant. I asked how it was and got this reply

'......Excellent. Much louder than my last interphone Fm5c and because its dual bluetooth can carry on chatting with the Mrs without it cutting out when Sat nav talking. She uses Interphone Tour. So you don't both need duel bluetooth Avants.....'

It was on the "BMW R1200 / 1250 GS / Adventure United Kingdom & Ireland" facebook page about 5 days ago.

I can understand that. I thought we'd be OK going to the Peak District on a Thursday but it was absolutely heaving which reminded me why I don't much enjoy riding in England. I guess that's our own fault for going to a National Park during the school holidays when not many are going abroad.

Kevin

None of the group I know has the Akropovic exhaust but it can't be much different to the standard exhaust in terms of the heat pushed out the back. The standard exhaust does generate enough heat to delaminate the number plate slightly. The demo GS in the local dealer has an Akropovic exhaust, it hasn't melted the number plate in 1500 miles so I doubt it will cook anything in a number plate box. I am taking everything off in the next week or so to put on another bike, I will take some pictures then.

Kevin.

This was just a post ref helmets and they had mentioned that they had the Avant. I asked how it was and got this reply <snip>

Thanks Ian. I PM'd him to ask about it. His wife isn't able to hear the satnav, which seems pretty standard for these devices, and they don't listen to music so he doesn't know whether they can share it. I'll have a wander over to the Interphgone web site to see what they say but twice bitten and all that...

Kevin

Cardo have released a new update for Packtalk Bold (since 6:7:20 according to release notes).. it's now up to version 5.7, this may help with music sharing and Nav instructions whilst in DMC mode, I haven't tried it myself but worth a look maybe .

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The excellent guy from WheelSpin Productions has just released a new U Tube video about setting up/comparing Cardo Packtalk Bold to Sena. Unfortunately I'm a doddering old bastard and I don't know how to share a video link, so the best I can do is this this screenshot
(only just learned how to do screenshots !).. so for anyone that's interested
d77a81b4fe7e5a1f632a0f195ea2995f.jpg

Cardo have released a new update for Packtalk Bold (since 6:7:20 according to release notes).. it's now up to version 5.7, this may help with music sharing and Nav instructions whilst in DMC mode, I haven't tried it myself but worth a look maybe .

Thanks but I installed that as soon as it was out in the hope it would improve things. To be fair it did seem to improve the stability of music from the iPhone but not appreciably.

Kevin

Ok, I thought it was worth a mention, but your already 'on it'. Best of luck solving everything.

The excellent guy from WheelSpin Productions has just released a new U Tube video about setting up/comparing Cardo Packtalk Bold to Sena. Unfortunately I'm a doddering old bastard and I don't know how to share a video link, so the best I can do is this this screenshot
(only just learned how to do screenshots !).. so for anyone that's interestedSent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Funnily enough I had that video open in a tab and hadn't got round to watching it yet. It deals with connectivity more than anything else and, having now watched it, it occurs to me that we've only tried the Cardo units in a configuration where they are directly connected to each other, we haven't tried using the GSA as a hub so I think we need to give that a spin. Thanks for the pointer.

I've subscribed to his channel as well.

The problem with every Cardo review I've watched is that no-one seems to test them with a pillion, they are all about how it works for a rider because, I assume, that's how most people use them.

Kevin

Ok no probs Kevin, if you you know how to post a link to a video then please do it for that particular one (as I don't)... and it may be of some benefit to 'our community'. .

Back
Top Bottom