Screamin' Eagle Stages ?

Big Si

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My bike came from an HD dealer already fitted with a Vance and Hines slip on set. So a stage 1 tune would be cheaper for me, just a bigger air filter and a tune. I will probably have at least this done in the next few weeks.

I'm in a bit of a quandary though. I considered going straight in to a stage 2, i.e. Filter, tune and higher lift cam, with a view to extending the warranty and going for a stage a year until stage iv. Now stage 3 goes for the big bore kit which turns my motor from 114cui to 131cui !!:drool:drool

Bearing in mind that the cams in a stage 2 are different to a stage 3 then to my mind this makes stage 2 a bit redundant (unless as an owner you would have been happy and stopped at stage 2)

Any Gnarly Harley opinions?

I've always viewed the Stage 1 as getting the bike to run properly by removing the Government Legislated restrictions; Stages 2 onwards are designed to remove cash from the wallet of the gullible.

Having looked at the stages a little while ago when I was considering a Breakout, the stage IV doesn't look like a good idea for the road. Ok for the drag strip, but it loses lower down compared with the III.

The 114 Stage II is really punchy (I've ridden 107 stage I, 114 stock and 114 stage II), but as you say it seems like a daft move if you aim to get to III or IV.

If you are doing it in stages, I'd suggest either I then II stopping there or I then III stopping there.

Got to say though that having spent a couple of hours on the Breakout 114 stage II on the lanes if Gloucestershire, I reckon that a stock 107 would suit the bike better and be a far more balanced and enjoyable riding experience everywhere that wasn't a traffic light.

I've always viewed the Stage 1 as getting the bike to run properly by removing the Government Legislated restrictions; Stages 2 onwards are designed to remove cash from the wallet of the gullible.
Stage 1 was always to get the bikes to run right as the intake and exhaust had to be almost sealed tight at the factory to allow the bike to get through the noise tests while retaining the air cooled motor.

Of course, the intake and exhaust didn't need totally opening up to make the bike run right but that was by and large what owners did.

Since the introduction of some of the later technology and definitely since the introduction of the M8 bikes, the bikes run fine out of the box so there's no need to change anything but that doesn't mean that people don't.

The stages do still make quite a difference, but they should perhaps be offered as factory options as purchase to save having a garage full of leftover bits

For me, the M8 needs a cam to make it what it should have been from the factory, anything more than that is very costly and superfluous to requirements.

The gains from a stage 2 are the best value for money as far as I can see, after that it gets very expensive. If you wanted the stage 4, the cheapest way I can see would be to buy a crate motor and sell yours.

I don’t believe you are correct....

From initial investigation, I tend to agree. The stage 4 is mostly 'just' the ported heads, bigger valve diameters and possibly another set of cams. Stage 3 gives you the larger bores and pistons, going to either the 117 or 131 cui. AFAIK. I wouldn't need the crank, trans, clutch,primary etc.

Stage 2 would appear to be more economically sensible, exhaust (already got), air intake, cam, pushrods and tune.:thumb2

From initial investigation, I tend to agree. The stage 4 is mostly 'just' the ported heads, bigger valve diameters and possibly another set of cams. Stage 3 gives you the larger bores and pistons, going to either the 117 or 131 cui. AFAIK. I wouldn't need the crank, trans, clutch,primary etc.

Stage 2 would appear to be more economically sensible, exhaust (already got), air intake, cam, pushrods and tune.:thumb2

I would suggest that you just ride the bike “as is” for a good while. The 114 is quite a decent motor to start with. Get used to how you can (have to) hustle the bike along in “stage 1” first.

I would suggest that you just ride the bike “as is” for a good while. The 114 is quite a decent motor to start with. Get used to how you can (have to) hustle the bike along in “stage 1” first.

You know......I think you are right. One question though if you don't mind.....I've been reading around the subject quite a bit and there is a school of thought from across the pond, saying that the oem ventilator air cleaner/filter is more than adequate for air flow anyway so there is no need to buy a screamin' eagle one. I like the look of the stock air cleaner and if I don't need to spend more £ then so much the better.
What do you think?

I don’t believe you are correct....

Cost of 131ci is $6195, just shy of 5k in Sterling. Add 20% vat and your at 6k, maybe 6.5 with shipping.

Going stage 2,3 and then 4 would cost about the same.

You’d probably get £4K for a low mileage M8 motor....I reckon it’d still work out cheaper, especially when you figure on the Labour costs of tearing the motor down.

If you went straight for a stage 4 it’s probably about the same but doing it in stages it’ll always be dearer.

You know......I think you are right. One question though if you don't mind.....I've been reading around the subject quite a bit and there is a school of thought from across the pond, saying that the oem ventilator air cleaner/filter is more than adequate for air flow anyway so there is no need to buy a screamin' eagle one. I like the look of the stock air cleaner and if I don't need to spend more £ then so much the better.
What do you think?

Fitted a big sucker on to my 114, made no difference other than noise :thumb

Blimey isn't 1,860cc enough. Good luck with the, erm 2,150cc kit.:eek:

Cost of 131ci is $6195, just shy of 5k in Sterling. Add 20% vat and your at 6k, maybe 6.5 with shipping.

Going stage 2,3 and then 4 would cost about the same.

You’d probably get £4K for a low mileage M8 motor....I reckon it’d still work out cheaper, especially when you figure on the Labour costs of tearing the motor down.

If you went straight for a stage 4 it’s probably about the same but doing it in stages it’ll always be dearer.

Where are you getting your prices from? Yo appreciate that the motor is only part of the cost right?

What do you think?

I have a stock cover on my cleaner, because I prefer the look. It’s not shouty...and it flows well enough for 124” on hot cans...

Back
Top Bottom