iPhone camera fault after using the phone on a quadlok.....vibration??

I got one of the wireless chargers for a handlebar mount. The mount is powered by a micro USB. A week after getting the mount Quadlock emailed me to say the USB mount to the device isn't waterproof, as described below, so they would send me a fix.

3 weeks later a packet arrives direct from Shenzen, with two small grommets in, and instructions to slide one of the grommets over the micro USB before plugging it into the wireless charger.

Marvellous idea, except that with the grommet fitted, the micro USB just falls out of the connector in the wireless charger heads I doesn't leave enough depth to locate properly.

You mean like the fact they released their wireless charging mount recently.
After
contacting their users who had bought the USB version.
Asking for feedback, advice, ideas, etc.
Then ignored them all.
I.E. - a wired connection NOT USB.
Small form factor.
One connection - NOT 3.
Waterproof not "resistant"
Loads more.

What did they release?
Something with NONE of the above.
They have had to issue a notice about build issues and the end user having to do a "fix" before fitting it as they'd rushed the release before final testing.
They've just sent out an email with another "fix" because they insisted on putting a USB-C socket on the back of the head.
Guess what - it lets water in, so they are shipping out a grommet (read o-ring) to everyone who has bought one to date to fix the water ingress issue. One that shouldn't have been there.
Their explanation for not having a hard wired connection is that "should the cable be damaged, the user can just replace it". Valid apart from the fact that their USB charger has one and there's been zero reports of failures on the power cable.
There have been hundreds of reports of them burning out USB cables in use though as the water gets into the connector.
See a theme here?
Back to their wireless charger - they provide a 1.5mt usb-c to usb-c cable that goes to a power adaptor, that then has an SAE connection to the battery. That amounts to something almost 15cms long that can't be folded/bent/changed/etc. Something that could easily have been inside the head section, which could easily have been hard wired.
There's been loads more "issues" with Quadlock stuff - like their Poncho that won't work if you use their own screen protector as an example.

I'm suggesting that Quadlock make the goods fit for purpose - making a motorcycle mount that is subject to vibration, water ingress, etc and it not protecting the phone/charger/cable from the very environment its designed to work in and protect it from is utter bullshit.
They make a point of it stating that in their advertising everywhere it is the most durable, protective and sturdy mount, etc yet it doesn't - so yes, I'm suggesting that they stop using the end users as their guinea pigs and do proper product development and testing BEFORE releasing it and having the end users spend money which ends up wasted because of their poor design.

I was looking at Quadlock as my future mount but lots of noise re damage when used on bikes. Quadlock even admit to having a problem, developing a product to try and fix it - but in meantime carry on selling? Their argument is - other products also damage your phone so its ok to keep selling them.
My grommets seem to be stuck in China still according to the the tracking link. In the meantime I got a very small elastic band and wrapped it around the connector 3x. I don’t know if its waterproof but it looks like it should be and is still a nice snug fit.

I got one of the wireless chargers for a handlebar mount. The mount is powered by a micro USB. A week after getting the mount Quadlock emailed me to say the USB mount to the device isn't waterproof, as described below, so they would send me a fix.

3 weeks later a packet arrives direct from Shenzen, with two small grommets in, and instructions to slide one of the grommets over the micro USB before plugging it into the wireless charger.

Marvellous idea, except that with the grommet fitted, the micro USB just falls out of the connector in the wireless charger heads I doesn't leave enough depth to locate properly.

Just to update this, I contacted Quadlock, who asked me to video the USB cable falling out of the mount (tricky to do since it only falls out whilst riding), take photos, etc etc. Finally they gave up and said I could send it back for a refund, which I did.

Meantime, it seems the Wireless Charging Head has been taken off the market: https://www.quadlockcase.com/pages/motorcycle-wireless-charging-head-not-available.

However, according to Mr Scenic Moto Mapper man, the vibration issue has occurred with other motorcycle mounts, for phones with optical image stabilisation (https://scenicapp.space/blog/review...to_Intel_Report__Aug_26_2020&utm_medium=email)

So I may give up the idea of mounting my £1200 iPhone 11 Pro on the bike and stick with Garmin for now, with a possibility of moving to a cheap Android phone or tablet, with one of these:

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-UN12WB

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-UN14WB

My charging head kept going into fault mode, I think mainly due to riding 250 miles in very heavy rain. It was intermittent though and would come and go during a trip out even in the dry. The grommets hadn't arrived from China either so I had bodged up a very small elastic band wrapped twice round the connector. I guess it didn't work in the heavy rain although it had appeared to press firmly against the head. Anyway I contacted Quadlock support by email and a couple of days later got a very nice reply from Emily. She also asked for a video of the fault, not happening as the fault would not now reoccur. She also asked me try out direct to the mains via a USB adapter. I guess trying to eliminate a fault in the 12v>5v adapter. As none of this made any difference she sent out a whole new replacement with a suggestion to only replace one bit at a time. The grommets also turned up. I fitted just the new head and all seems OK now even after giving the head a good splash with the hose when I washed the bike. So I now have two complete units, one that has an intermittent fault if/when it gets wet. I will find another use for it somewhere in the house or car. good result i thought, even if the whole thing is a bit crap.

Same problem here with the I phone 11 .
Do not use quadlock !!!
I am sending mine back for refund !
So far no problems with the ultimateaddons mount

Same problem here with the I phone 11 .
Do not use quadlock !!!
I am sending mine back for refund !
So far no problems with the ultimateaddons mount

Just received a reply from quadlock unbelievable!

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

We're sorry to hear about the damage to your phone, whilst damage to smartphones from mounting them on motorbikes is not a common problem, we have had a small number of customers report issues with the vibrations from their engine affecting their camera's stabilization.

Whilst this problem is not unique to Quad Lock and is affecting other mounting systems also, we are taking this issue very seriously.

After extensive research and testing, we have developed our Vibration Dampener which can be attached to any existing Quad Lock motorcycle mount. This significantly reduces the high-frequency vibrations from some bikes that affect the image stabilization mechanisms in cameras.

If your phone is under warranty the manufacturer may be able to repair the camera module under warranty. If you do get the camera repaired, we do not recommend mounting the phone on your motorbike without our dampening solution affixed as the same issue will likely occur.

To help with this, I’ve arranged a 1-off code for a 30% discount from the Vibration Dampener. This discount code cannot be used in conjunction with any other discounts.

Your individual code is: QLUK-VD30-z482kn
Vibration Dampener Product Page

Please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

Kind regards,
Gabriel
Quad Lock Support

So quadlock wants more money to sort out their shit product 😤😤

Interestingly, the wireless charging mount is still not available, through the "vibration damper" (surely an integral part of any motorcycle mount!) is £15.95.

We're sorry to hear about the damage to your phone, whilst damage to smartphones from mounting them on motorbikes is not a common problem, we have had a small number of customers report issues with the vibrations from their engine affecting their camera's stabilization.

Whilst this problem is not unique to Quad Lock and is affecting other mounting systems also, we are taking this issue very seriously.

After extensive research and testing, we have developed our Vibration Dampener which can be attached to any existing Quad Lock motorcycle mount. This significantly reduces the high-frequency vibrations from some bikes that affect the image stabilization mechanisms in cameras.

If your phone is under warranty the manufacturer may be able to repair the camera module under warranty. If you do get the camera repaired, we do not recommend mounting the phone on your motorbike without our dampening solution affixed as the same issue will likely occur.

To help with this, I’ve arranged a 1-off code for a 30% discount from the Vibration Dampener. This discount code cannot be used in conjunction with any other discounts.

Kind regards,
Gabriel
Quad Lock Support

So quadlock wants more money to sort out their shit product

Kind regards,
Gabriel
Quad Lock Support

So quadlock wants more money to sort out their shit product ����

Its a win win - sell you something thats got a known fault, and then charge you even more money to sort out the problem - perfect profit model for QL.

Interestingly, the wireless charging mount is still not available, through the "vibration damper" (surely an integral part of any motorcycle mount!) is £15.95.

Although they admit the problem ,they tell you not to use it without the Damper ,
But yet got the cheek to tell you to there is maybe a fix but it cost you more money .
My advice to people who thinking about buying it DONT !!!!
And I hope that all this you tubers who “review “ this product will have the guts to make new comers aware of this as it can ruin a £800 £900 phone
Luckily for me had two weeks left on the warranty so Apple sorted it .

Although they admit the problem ,they tell you not to use it without the Damper ,
But yet got the cheek to tell you to there is maybe a fix but it cost you more money .
My advice to people who thinking about buying it DONT !!!!
And I hope that all this you tubers who “review “ this product will have the guts to make new comers aware of this as it can ruin a £800 £900 phone
Luckily for me had two weeks left on the warranty so Apple sorted it .

Totally put me off them when I heard about this even though my phone does not have the stabilisation on it that could get damaged. Terrible approach to the problem and customers. From what I have read ultimate addons, even though more cumbersome to use is actually designed for bike use where as to me QL are just cashing in on an angle that they can exploit while someone else pays the repair bill.

Suggestion

If the iPhone is being used just as a satnav why not grab an iPhone 6, 6Plus or 6S cheap - even one with an already busted camera or low capacity battery - from eBay and stick your nav app on it. No need for a sim as it can be hotspotted off your good phone in your pocket and will be powered from the bike

If the iPhone is being used just as a satnav why not grab an iPhone 6, 6Plus or 6S cheap - even one with an already busted camera or low capacity battery - from eBay and stick your nav app on it. No need for a sim as it can be hotspotted off your good phone in your pocket and will be powered from the bike

In the past I have used the ultimate addons mount case and never had a problem
And that’s what I will do in future.
However the point is ,there is a flaw in the quadlock a problem which can happens with any new product that comes on the market .
But to ask the customer for extra money to sort it is out is shocking.
And to all those you tubers who very happy to put a “review “ about this item I wish they had the guts and make new potential customers aware of this shit .
I will !!

Back
Top Bottom