iPhone camera fault after using the phone on a quadlok.....vibration??

Nick G

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has had camera issues with an iPhone after using it mounted to bars for navigation?
I got a camera fault a few months ago following a day out on my bike with a new iPhone 11 pro max mounted on a quadlock on my bars. Basically the camera wouldn't focus properly in normal photo mode. The phone was repaired under warranty. I used it a few times mounted in the same way for a couple of short trips and the camera was ok then did a 250 mile round trip at the weekend and the phone has got the same fault....too much of a coincidence to not be bike related? I'm wondering if bar vibration over a long period is buggering the lens mechanism.
Anyone else experienced anything similar?

Its a known issue that Quadlock refuse to admit is their fault despite now about to launch a new anti-vibration mount.
You do the maths.
Apple are being good and repairing most phones without any question though.

Just wondering if anyone else has had camera issues with an iPhone after using it mounted to bars for navigation?
I got a camera fault a few months ago following a day out on my bike with a new iPhone 11 pro max mounted on a quadlock on my bars. Basically the camera wouldn't focus properly in normal photo mode. The phone was repaired under warranty. I used it a few times mounted in the same way for a couple of short trips and the camera was ok then did a 250 mile round trip at the weekend and the phone has got the same fault....too much of a coincidence to not be bike related? I'm wondering if bar vibration over a long period is buggering the lens mechanism.
Anyone else experienced anything similar?

Fairly common issue on thumpers, off roading etc but the main culprit appears to be engine vibes. iPhones up to and including the iPhone 6S use optical stabilisation but the 6S+ and onwards use a digital stabilisation system that is prone to vibration caused failure

I had two failures on my iPhone 7 so have bought a 6S to use solely as a SatNav and my new SE stays in a pocket

I have also bought a device that goes between my RAM ball and the phone holder that supposedly converts vibration into heat https://shop-hondogarage.com/products/buzz-kill-vibration-isolator

There is a discussion over on ADVrider on the subject and a thread on here as well

Attachments

• 9F32EF50-D71A-4063-A5C5-BA0E3F6E9B24.jpg
    9F32EF50-D71A-4063-A5C5-BA0E3F6E9B24.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 1,666
Its a known issue that Quadlock refuse to admit is their fault despite now about to launch a new anti-vibration mount.
You do the maths.
Apple are being good and repairing most phones without any question though.

Are you suggesting that Quadlock test every past and future on every past and future motorcycle to check whether the phone is affected by engine or road vibrations, whether in their old or new, anti-vibration mount?

I suggest that it is not Quadlocks fault, but simple user error in using a tool for a purpose for which it was not designed - there may be logical consequences in doing so (or one may get away with it). It's not maths - it's product design and engineering.

Any company offering offering phone mounts for motorcycles is stupid if they do not put some sort of a disclaimer in the conditions of use, which would describe the tests that were carried out on the product before sale.

I have noticed that motorcycle satnavs are reckoned to be expensive by many who would think nothing of mounting a £1100 iPhone 11 Pro Max on a motorcycle.

You mean like the fact they released their wireless charging mount recently.
After contacting their users who had bought the USB version.
Asking for feedback, advice, ideas, etc.
Then ignored them all.
I.E. - a wired connection NOT USB.
Small form factor.
One connection - NOT 3.
Waterproof not "resistant"
Loads more.

What did they release?
Something with NONE of the above.
They have had to issue a notice about build issues and the end user having to do a "fix" before fitting it as they'd rushed the release before final testing.
They've just sent out an email with another "fix" because they insisted on putting a USB-C socket on the back of the head.
Guess what - it lets water in, so they are shipping out a grommet (read o-ring) to everyone who has bought one to date to fix the water ingress issue. One that shouldn't have been there.
Their explanation for not having a hard wired connection is that "should the cable be damaged, the user can just replace it". Valid apart from the fact that their USB charger has one and there's been zero reports of failures on the power cable.
There have been hundreds of reports of them burning out USB cables in use though as the water gets into the connector.
See a theme here?
Back to their wireless charger - they provide a 1.5mt usb-c to usb-c cable that goes to a power adaptor, that then has an SAE connection to the battery. That amounts to something almost 15cms long that can't be folded/bent/changed/etc. Something that could easily have been inside the head section, which could easily have been hard wired.
There's been loads more "issues" with Quadlock stuff - like their Poncho that won't work if you use their own screen protector as an example.

I'm suggesting that Quadlock make the goods fit for purpose - making a motorcycle mount that is subject to vibration, water ingress, etc and it not protecting the phone/charger/cable from the very environment its designed to work in and protect it from is utter bullshit.
They make a point of it stating that in their advertising everywhere it is the most durable, protective and sturdy mount, etc yet it doesn't - so yes, I'm suggesting that they stop using the end users as their guinea pigs and do proper product development and testing BEFORE releasing it and having the end users spend money which ends up wasted because of their poor design.

Are you suggesting that Quadlock test every past and future on every past and future motorcycle to check whether the phone is affected by engine or road vibrations, whether in their old or new, anti-vibration mount?

I suggest that it is not Quadlocks fault, but simple user error in using a tool for a purpose for which it was not designed - there may be logical consequences in doing so (or one may get away with it). It's not maths - it's product design and engineering.

Any company offering offering phone mounts for motorcycles is stupid if they do not put some sort of a disclaimer in the conditions of use, which would describe the tests that were carried out on the product before sale.

I have noticed that motorcycle satnavs are reckoned to be expensive by many who would think nothing of mounting a £1100 iPhone 11 Pro Max on a motorcycle.
If, something is sold and marketed for a particular purpose then it is reasonable that it is tested to ensure that it not only works properly, but also does not cause additional issues, such as damage to the iPhone.

To question if it is prudent to use this mount, suggests the answer already.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Ive had 2 iPhones do exactly as you say now I won't mount them to the bike and just leave in my pocket

Ive had 2 iPhones do exactly as you say now I won't mount them to the bike and just leave in my pocket

Me too. In fairness, Apple have fixed both for nowt. It would appear that the optical image stabilisation used on the newer phones is pretty susceptible to high frequency vibration.

I bought a Garmin Zumo XT instead and now keep the phone in my pocket.

Me too. In fairness, Apple have fixed both for nowt. It would appear that the optical image stabilisation used on the newer phones is pretty susceptible to high frequency vibration.

I bought a Garmin Zumo XT instead and now keep the phone in my pocket.

I’ll be reverting back to my Garmin from now on and keeping the phone in my pocket. Annoying since I recently bought mounts and a charger from Quadlock. Hopefully Apple will fix the phone again.

I use an SP Connect mount on my mountain bike, and also have their anti vibration mount. I’ve also got a mount on the Multi, and will order an anti vibration mount for that as well.

Update.
When I complained to Quadlock they replied saying that the vibration issue effected less than 1% of bikers but they are developing an anti vibe mount addition but it won't be ready for a few months. Thats too long for me and I have lost faith in the product. They have said they will take back the mount (charging head) I bought recently. I will actually be sending back three mounts and two phone cases and moving to an alternative that has an anti vibe product already.

Update.
When I complained to Quadlock they replied saying that the vibration issue effected less than 1% of bikers but they are developing an anti vibe mount addition but it won't be ready for a few months. Thats too long for me and I have lost faith in the product. They have said they will take back the mount (charging head) I bought recently. I will actually be sending back three mounts and two phone cases and moving to an alternative that has an anti vibe product already.

So SP Connect then.

Had same problem with iPhone X and 11 pro max on three different mounts. Not taking chances any more. Mounted an old iPhone 5 used as an iPod and GPS. No more worries. Quite neat too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suggest that it is not Quadlocks fault, but simple user error in using a tool for a purpose for which it was not designed - there may be logical consequences in doing so (or one may get away with it).

Quadlock specifically market and sell their product to motorcyclists. If someone fits a product marketed to motorcyclists, for motorcycling use, onto their motorcycle, in what way are they using it in error?

https://www.quadlockcase.co.uk/collections/shop-moto

What are the symptoms of this issue? The anti vibration damper didn’t arrive in time, so I’ve been using the mount without it. All seems fine and dandy with the phone.

What are the symptoms of this issue? The anti vibration damper didn’t arrive in time, so I’ve been using the mount without it. All seems fine and dandy with the phone.

If all is fine and dandy then the auto stabilisation of your phone camera has not (yet) failed. If it does fail it will be immediately obvious as the image on the screen of the camera app will jitter and any resultant photo will be “fubar”

If all is fine and dandy then the auto stabilisation of your phone camera has not (yet) failed. If it does fail it will be immediately obvious as the image on the screen of the camera app will jitter and any resultant photo will be “fubar”

This, also my iPhone XR eventually cracked the back screen, I think the quad lock case is flexible but supports the phone in the mount area, I’d be very wary if using a big phone in a quad lock mount.

In fact I’m so wary I don’t use my phone on the quad lock now.

I was looking at Quadlock as my future mount but lots of noise re damage when used on bikes. Quadlock even admit to having a problem, developing a product to try and fix it - but in meantime carry on selling? Their argument is - other products also damage your phone so its ok to keep selling them.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-24 at 22.42.15.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-07-24 at 22.42.15.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 734

Back
Top Bottom