Question.

transalper44

Reaction score
4 days ago had front and rear brake pads checked for wear etc, replacements not needed, cleaned everything and refitted. Today whilst out for 250 miles ride, the red brake failure warning light appeared after 3 hours riding. Brakes working OK, tried turning ignition off and on but still lite up.

Any idea what the problem maybe ?

Similar thing happened to me after having brake work carried out, the rear wheel sensor had been/come unclipped and the disc wore though wire after 100 or so miles and warning lights came on, brakes worked fine so carried on with trip and the guy who did the work replaced the sensor. ABS bikes have a sensor front and rear, non ABS just the rear, speedo will fail as well.
If it is sensor Rear is £80 new half that for used from motorworks

Al.

Thanks for your replies, at first I thought it was the sensor but speedo working as I'd had that problem before. Shall check the front sensors, as the rear one appears to be OK due to the speedo working.

ABS module....

wouldn't be a surprise.... build in failure, easy money for them had for you to argue about

if the ABS2 lasted 7 years, with the progress they've made is designing to fail faster and faster you're a year late to the party

This is obviously going to be the kiss of death🤞but mine is 14 yrs old 40k miles and fine, I have ABS fluid changed every other year though.

Al.

Hate to be the Harbinger of doom,

The red brake failure light, is nothing to dfo with the pads as such ,

But the systems behind it -

Operation, ABS unit etc

I'll hazard a guess, and no doubt Steptoe or some one similar will identify the real failure

If the pistons were retracted whilst checking the pads, the resultant fluid movement has upset the ABS/ Servo unit

(assuming your still has the unit)

No Servo on 2012 models so may be the ABS ? Overdue a 47K service because of the lockdown so no doubt the bill may be steeper ! Brakes work fine, just got to be mindful there may not be a working ABS system !

On the post 2007 bikes the red warning light permanently on is usually a sign of no power to the abs unit, due to stuck brushes in the abs motor. You’ll need a to have the fault codes read to confirm it. It can be fixed pretty easily, plenty of vids on YouTube .

This is obviously going to be the kiss of death��but mine is 14 yrs old 40k miles and fine, I have ABS fluid changed every other year though.

Al.

the fluid never comes in to contact with the electrical bits, thus a fluid change can not impact a designed in failure....
maybe yours wasn't build for the UK market....so got the circuit board for a more important market where it lasts a month or two longer

Back
Top Bottom