Considering selling- 2005 GS what would be a reasonable price?

richtel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all.

A 1250 with farkles is calling me. Question is, I've not seen a GS like mine in the same condition and miles for sale for a long while. What would be a good price?

2005 2005/55 R1200GS. Just turned 14k miles (yep, I know, I know).
FBMWSH until 4 years ago, then an BMW independent in Stroud since. All receipts and log book stamps.
Absolutely frickin' immaculate apart from a small amount of usual paint bubble on front engine cover.
Zero problems, never any issues other than replaced battery.

Lots of photos at https://www.richtel.net/gs/

Thanks!

Im not trying to insult you, far from it, that bike is minted. But all else being equal id keep that bike if you can and just buy a 1250. Its owe you nothing really and it wont fetch any more than book price even though its in VGC. Can you keep it and get a 1250 ? I for one wouldnt want to part with such a well looked after bike. Just my thoughts.

If you keep it you will still be able to ride when the 1250 breaks down!!

Al.

Im not trying to insult you, far from it, that bike is minted. But all else being equal id keep that bike if you can and just buy a 1250. Its owe you nothing really and it wont fetch any more than book price even though its in VGC. Can you keep it and get a 1250 ? I for one wouldnt want to part with such a well looked after bike. Just my thoughts.

I wish I could keep more than one bike in the garage- I'd love an old airhead to play with, but space constraints limit me to one bike for now.

I wish I could keep more than one bike in the garage- I'd love an old airhead to play with, but space constraints limit me to one bike for now.

Fair enough, I know how you feel. Never mind the hecklers on the sidelines, most of them don't, and never will own a mighty 1250, its just jealousy that makes them carp from the edge of the pitch. Buy your 1250 and enjoy it.:thumb:D

Hi all.

A 1250 with farkles is calling me. Question is, I've not seen a GS like mine in the same condition and miles for sale for a long while. What would be a good price?

2005 2005/55 R1200GS. Just turned 14k miles (yep, I know, I know).
FBMWSH until 4 years ago, then an BMW independent in Stroud since. All receipts and log book stamps.
Absolutely frickin' immaculate apart from a small amount of usual paint bubble on front engine cover.
Zero problems, never any issues other than replaced battery.

Lots of photos at https://www.richtel.net/gs/

Thanks!

Rich

I'm going to have a go at answering this one as I have some recent (multiple) GS buying/selling insights. Hope this is helpful.

I recently went full circle from oil/air cooled (2004) GS back to a 2008 GS 2 weeks ago with a series of 'mid life crisis' new bike GS purchases in between! I have also just helped a friend find a 2005 GS as follows:

First (in 2017) I part exchanged by 'immaculate' (but not quite as exceptional as yours) GS (which I had owned for 11 years) for £4k against a brand new 1200GSA. At the time, my bike was probably worth about £4500 for a private sale, but I believe it was sold onto a European dealer (where they are worth a bit more).

I then part exchanged the GSA1200 for a new GS1200 and subsequently part exchanged that for GS1250 last year. As you can see, I was fully in the new bike zone and enjoying all the new tech on each bike change etc. Even with energetic negotiations, I inevitably 'lost' a lot of money on the trading of the nearly new bikes. I have just sold my 1250 GS Exclusive back to BMW and bought a 2008 GS1200 (oil/air cooled) as I missed the simplicity / purity of the older bikes. Looking at the market over the last month or so, it would seem that really nice examples like yours (or anywhere nearly as nice as yours!) with ultra low mileage are advertised at around £5k. Like most things, there are fewer mint, ultra low mileage examples around and as a result, prices have slightly increased not increased, since I sold mine 3 years ago. There are LOADS of average to poor condition early GSs on the market at the moment at between £3500-4000, but yours is in a different league all together. As such, it could command a premium. The later 'mark 2' (2008) and 'mark 3' (2009-12), which included the twin cam seem to vary from around £5k up to £7500 for late, nice, low mileage examples. The 2008 I bought 2 weeks ago was MASSIVELY overpriced due to having just 6k miles and 2 owners. I wanted to secure a bike quickly but due to the owner being (frankly) deluded about the value, I ended up having to pay between £500-800 over what I honestly think the bike is worth. Very unlike me to be honest, but in the current Covid climate where I don't want to be taking trains all over the country etc, I just pinched my nose and did it, in the hope that it's a 'decent' example. It is in good condition, but not a patch on yours. If yours had been on ebay or Autotrader 2 weeks ago at £5k, I would have bought it from you in a heart beat.

Thanks all for the thoughts and sage advice both on the forum and by PM- much appreciated. I think the rest is down to the challenge of wrestling the business case across head and heart, with man-logic making an impassioned plea for growing a set and just doing it versus the more reasoned, yet dull, question of added value from putting down another £13k or so to change up especially in the current economic times. Time to chew over the figures again.

Buy mine, a lot less and there isn't a farkle I haven't already got on it. Three year warranty and service pack plus the nice TFT ;)

Back
Top Bottom