Engine oil ??

Deleted account 220319001

Reaction score
I know it's the same engine as the GS but can someone tell me what oil goes in for the r1200r, 16 plate ? A relevant filter would be a help also. :beerjug:

Is that a oil filter or some sort of a filter to filter out the reply’s to yet another unnecessary question? JJH

Asking for a friend who wishes to change the oil in her bike, so she needs to know what oil and filter required.

HTH

tell her to read the manual - if she does not have one, they are a free download from BMW

she might learn the tyre pressures as well

From Castrol's website, my oil of choice. https://www.castrol.com/en_gb/unite...le-oil-and-fluids/motorcycle-engine-oils.html

Power1 Racing 4T 5W-40

Engine/transmission 6

Castrol POWER1 Racing 4T with 'Race Derived Technology' provides ultimate performance for extreme riding. For high performance 4-stroke sports bikes. Castrol POWER1 Racing 4T with 'Race Derived Technology' is specifically designed for bikers who love the exhilaration of riding on the limit. 'Race Derived Technology' is based on Castrol's long and successful racing association that helps oil to flow fast and stay strong, reducing internal engine friction even under the most arduous riding conditions. It has been tested and proven to deliver exceptional acceleration and power at a touch of the throttle.

P123 of the 2016 GS manual (same engine)
SAE 5W-40, API SL / JASO MA2,
Additives (e.g. molybdenum-based) are not permissible because they can attack coated components of the engine,
BMW Motorrad recommends BMW Motorrad ADVANTEC Ultimate oil

Appreciate the pointers fellas however it seems I've been somewhat messed around by said female who has subsequently decided to get a BMW technician to do the job, lesson learned.

P123 of the 2016 GS manual (same engine)
SAE 5W-40, API SL / JASO MA2,
Additives (e.g. molybdenum-based) are not permissible because they can attack coated components of the engine,
BMW Motorrad recommends BMW Motorrad ADVANTEC Ultimate oil

Of slight interest is the fact that I have just gone over to 10-40 Castrol from last month - and found easier gearchanging. As suggested by Nick from SA (although he actually suggested 10-50!)

Prehps i may be confuddled,

All the wet clutch bikes iv'e previously owned, had the clutch lubricated by the gearbox oil, which was separate to the engine oil

We were specifically warned not to use oil with additives, as it could impair the operation of the wet clutch. (ie friction reducers)

now it would appear we are to use normal ;) engine oil with a wet clutch...

Prehps i may be confuddled,

All the wet clutch bikes iv'e previously owned, had the clutch lubricated by the gearbox oil, which was separate to the engine oil

We were specifically warned not to use oil with additives, as it could impair the operation of the wet clutch. (ie friction reducers)

now it would appear we are to use normal ;) engine oil with a wet clutch...

Have you never read an oil thread?

search JASO MA & MA2. JASO is the Japanese oil spec. MA & now MA2 ensure the oils are clutch friendly and why oils are labelled specifically for bikes. Whilst you might vary the viscosity for one reason or another, sticking with the MA2 rating would be sensible.

Have you never read an oil thread?

search JASO MA & MA2. JASO is the Japanese oil spec. MA & now MA2 ensure the oils are clutch friendly and why oils are labelled specifically for bikes. Whilst you might vary the viscosity for one reason or another, sticking with the MA2 rating would be sensible.

I read the oil threads, but there mainly along the lines of, what viscosity or make and the answer is usually

"read the manual, or its a tractor use anything lol" ;)

Back
Top Bottom