2006 Fat boy anything to look for / issues

If it’s any consolation I think the kind of scum who stole your scooter are probably unlikely to be interested in a harley

If it’s any consolation I think the kind of scum who stole your scooter are probably unlikely to be interested in a harley

I guess not . The T Max is the most stolen bike in the UK I am told used for and in crimes especially in London . I wont be getting another of those Cheers

What’s the thoughts of the wise on a 2011 103 Fat Boy?

Wikipedia tells me the 103 was for 2012 model bikes so I’m guessing this is one of the first.

At just short of £12k it’s a tad more than I’d like to pay but I like the colour, pipes, beach bars and detachable screen on this one

Are there good/bad year models - Years with better gearboxes or less gremlins etc...

Are dealers selling many at the moment, is this a good time to drive a good deal?

Aside from the normal buying a bike question are there any important HD and Fat Boy specific questions to ask when enquiring?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• EE1344F5-7E1A-460C-B7E1-6688156F154C.jpg
    EE1344F5-7E1A-460C-B7E1-6688156F154C.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 126
  • 08B4D288-348B-4557-B022-CD45326E105D.jpg
    08B4D288-348B-4557-B022-CD45326E105D.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 143
Is it an eBay ad etc or have you seen the bike in the flesh. What's it's mileage?, it seems cheap.

No real issues with Harley big twins from 2007 onwards.
The ones before could have an easy mod on the cam chain tensioner to make good.

Is it an eBay ad or have you seen the bike in the flesh. What's it's mileage?, it seems cheap.

From my hour and hours "experience" trawling all the bike sites, I would chance an opinion that the mileage would need to be quite low to justify that price.:nenau

From my hour and hours "experience" trawling all the bike sites, I would chance an opinion that the mileage would need to be quite low to justify that price.:nenau

12,600 miles

Do they have any major extra high cost service requirements at certain ages or mileages

That black genuine HD oil engine cover looks odd, others seem to have chrome covers

It's a derby cover or clutch cover in English.

You have a lot to learn. Same as me re prices, I've not bought one for a while.:D

It's a derby cover or clutch cover in English.

D

So it’s a clutch cover, but one advertising 'Genuine HD Oil' other bikes just seem to have a chrome cover with 103 on it... I was just wondering if it was a sign of a knackered cover now replaced with the above

Attachments

• F44B6E97-18B9-40B3-BF5E-33AC89A7B0EC.jpg
    F44B6E97-18B9-40B3-BF5E-33AC89A7B0EC.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 196
So it’s a clutch cover, but one advertising 'Genuine HD Oil' other bikes just seem to have a chrome cover with 103 on it... I was just wondering if it was a sign of a knackered cover now replaced with the above

Some owners swap their cover for aftermarket ones. There's lots of different ones available.

Nothing to be concerned about.:thumb2

Those covers are often changed for “vanity” covers.... 100’s of designs out

Have a real good look at the paperwork. As you say the 103 was a 2012 MY for the B engines.

Nothing special to worry about for that engine.

It’s worth what it sells for.

Are there good/bad year models - Years with better gearboxes or less gremlins etc...
The only remaining Weak Point in a TC of that Age is the Crank.
They can "Scissor" if the Motor is Abused.
Generally though, the 103" is a pretty good Lump AFAIK.
The 96" is Ok too, although not quite as lively.
As an Aside, I'd ditch the Short Shots in favour of something with a bit more Back Pressure if it were me.
They're good for making Noise and sapping Power......

The only remaining Weak Point in a TC of that Age is the Crank.
They can "Scissor" if the Motor is Abused.
Generally though, the 103" is a pretty good Lump AFAIK.
The 96" is Ok too, although not quite as lively.
As an Aside, I'd ditch the Short Shots in favour of something with a bit more Back Pressure if it were me.
They're good for making Noise and sapping Power......

Thank You... What’s a normal expectation when buying a bike with aftermarket pipes, would/should you expect the standard pipes to be with the bike.

Also if on the short shots they alter things like back pressure should it be expected that the fuelling has been checked/corrected on a bike that has them or other aftermarket pipes TIA

Thank You... What’s a normal expectation when buying a bike with aftermarket pipes, would/should you expect the standard pipes to be with the bike.

Also if on the short shots they alter things like back pressure should it be expected that the fuelling has been checked/corrected on a bike that has them or other aftermarket pipes TIA

If the Pipes were swapped as part of a Dealer "Stage 1" Conversion, then it's likely that the Stock Pipes were left behind and Scrapped, but they may still be with it if the Original Owner was a Squirrel (like me!).
Personally I'd opt for either a 2 into 1 (better Power Delivery but a less traditional HD Look / Sound), or Big Shots Staggered as I have on my Dyna.
The blue Fatty in the Pics has a Full Stage 1 Conversion so the Fueling will have been altered to accommodate this. I don't know which Route has been chosen, but it's likely got a separate Tuning Box with it, something like the Power Vision that I have for mine.

https://dynojet.co.uk/pv-1b-power-vision

Out of Interest, have you considered a Heritage instead?
They come with Luggage (albeit covered in Studs), Extra Lighting, Screen and Sissy Bar as Standard.
When most of the above is whipped off, it looks pretty much the same as a Fatty.
The Wheels are Chrome Spoked instead of Solid though.
The Heritage is a very versatile Softail and basically a Blinged Up Fat Boy...

That’s interesting - The Ad for the blue bike mentions a few modifications but does not mention it having a full stage 1 conversion, what are the tale tale signs. Also could the omission be an indication that the dealer for this one is maybe not a HD expert, I was going to call them tomorrow

That’s interesting - The Ad for the blue bike mentions a few modifications but does not mention it having a full stage 1 conversion, what are the tale tale signs. Also could the omission be an indication that the dealer for this one is maybe not a HD expert, I was going to call them tomorrow

A couple of things give it away.

1. The cheapest way to create more Sound from a Stock Bike is to replace the "Mufflers" with Aftermarket, more Open "Slip-Ons".
This doesn't mess with the Fueling too much (if at all) and avoids the need for any "Tuning" Devices.
If however, you opt to replace the entire Exhaust System (especially with something as Free Flowing as Short Shots), then you have to look at getting more Air into the Intake Side to equalise things, and that requires the Installation of a "Hi-Flo" Air Filter Element (think K & N) and a Fueling Device.
All of the above equate to a "Stage 1" Upgrade.

2. When you Install a Hi-Flo Filter Element, you generally do away with the entire Plastic Backing Plate behind the Chrome Filter Cover.
If you look at the Photo of "Your" Bike, and compare it with the one of the Stock Bike, you can see the Part I mean.

Back
Top Bottom