Which wheels?

Neil12GS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of black spoked wheels from a friend mainly because I wanted to get my cast wheels powder coated in black and didn’t want to be ‘off the road’ whilst they were being done. Now that I have fitted the wire wheels I quite like them.
So wheels off to powder coaters tomorrow and then decide which pair I keep. :nenau

Attachments

• 442A3A29-A4A5-4D72-B7C3-38E650B8365D.jpg
    442A3A29-A4A5-4D72-B7C3-38E650B8365D.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 794
  • FE2B7BAF-35D5-4F0B-8E73-9EF18F3FAB4E.jpg
    FE2B7BAF-35D5-4F0B-8E73-9EF18F3FAB4E.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 803
Wire Wheels. Only downside is they take a little longer to clean - but sooo worth it, aesthetically.

Love the wire wheels. Looks great. Let me know if you want to sell the other wheels. My brother was interested in a set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That grass grew quick, what are you putting on it?

Seriously though, I prefer the cast wheels. They will look great in black and be so mush easier to clean.:thumb2

That grass grew quick, what are you putting on it?

Seriously though, I prefer the cast wheels. They will look great in black and be so mush easier to clean.:thumb2

Ha ha.

The cast wheels pic was took a few weeks ago just after the lawn was seeded. The other one today. You boys are observant!

Love the wire wheels. Looks great. Let me know if you want to sell the other wheels. My brother was interested in a set.

I will be selling a set when I decide which set to keep. Will keep you informed..

I recently bought a pair of black spoked wheels from a friend mainly because I wanted to get my cast wheels powder coated in black and didn’t want to be ‘off the road’ whilst they were being done. Now that I have fitted the wire wheels I quite like them.
So wheels off to powder coaters tomorrow and then decide which pair I keep. :nenau

Just remember the alloy on the new wheels is soft so make sure the coaters do not leave the wheels too long in the stripping bath as car wheels are thicker and stronger and too long can have an effect on the material.
I had mine done by an ex Dymag fellow who warned me of this and also Motoliner. If its being done by a bike bias place im sure you will be fine , but worth mentioning.:thumby:
100% on the spokes , looks better .

Weird but a gs that should have alloys looks better on wires and a gsa which should have spokes looks good on alloys

Spokes may look better but they are a bastid to keep clean.

I put a set of alloys on mine so I could get some 60/40 tyres on the spoked wheels for off-roading and I was amazed at the difference in handling.
Turn in seems much sharper and the bike just feels more "lively" everywhere.
This isn't likely to be a placebo effect either, as I'd read on some forum that alloys were heavier than the spokes.

So I'd say go with the alloys for road use.

When I get the alloys back from being powder coated black I will have to do one of those tolls...
The grass will be longer then too.
I would have took them in today, but after getting the tyres off, I couldn’t get the bearings out of the front wheel. Tried the knocking from the other side method after heating it up but n good, need a special tool or take it in somewhere to have them pulled out..

When I get the alloys back from being powder coated black I will have to do one of those tolls...
The grass will be longer then too.
I would have took them in today, but after getting the tyres off, I couldn’t get the bearings out of the front wheel. Tried the knocking from the other side method after heating it up but n good, need a special tool or take it in somewhere to have them pulled out..

Have you tried knocking the joiner tube to one side as this will allow you the space to get a drift in to knock out from the other side , thats how i did it.

Tried that but it only moves over a fraction so doesn’t give enough of a ledge to get onto the bearing...

Cast wheels now off being powder coated.
Do you know if the TPMS sensors are a different type on the cast to the spokes wheels?
None on the spoked at the moment so get the error message continually. Hoping to turn it off with GS-911 but couldn’t find that option.

Sensors are different shapes on wire and alloy. no swap unfortunately.

Keep both. It's really handy at times having two sets of wheels.

Spoked for Summer

Alloys for Winter

I need some TPMS sensors for the spoked wheels. BMW dealer price is stupid, had anyone tried the eBay Chinese ones for £15 a piece? Although they will take a month to get here!

I need some TPMS sensors for the spoked wheels. BMW dealer price is stupid, had anyone tried the eBay Chinese ones for £15 a piece? Although they will take a month to get here!

I remember they were ridiculous money. Have you tried Motorworks?

Actually just remembered. The guy in the tyre shop(same group) felt sorry for me and put them through on his staff discount. I’ve been going to him for tyres for 34 years. Just heard he retired soon after. Decent bloke.

Back
Top Bottom