What comms system

dogmaboy

Reaction score
I am in the process of getting a new comms system as my old U clear is not up to scratch.I have the read the Bm system is sub standard which is a pity as you could use the wonder wheel.Is there any agreement between this forum as what works best on the RT.Main reason of use is for pillion comms and music on highway stints.Thanks ,stay safe Dogmaboy.

In what way(s) do you think the BMW system is "sub-standard"? When I had BMW helmets I had the comms and satnav, phone, music and pillion intercom all worked fine. The only thing I wish it had had was a handlebar remote like the Sena.

In what way(s) do you think the BMW system is "sub-standard"? When I had BMW helmets I had the comms and satnav, phone, music and pillion intercom all worked fine. The only thing I wish it had had was a handlebar remote like the Sena.

Probably because the Bluetooth on the RT (still) is an older release and most BMW helmets are still using a comms system to suit that. They are not using Mesh technology, such as DMC on the latest Scala kit, such as Packtalk. I have the original Packtalk, it used to work ok with the RT radio, but the weak link was the BMW bluetooth not the Scala kit. For instance, only the BMW intercom would allow two helmets to listen to music from the radio. That is now addressed with more modern Bluetooth kit, in that the primary connection can now share to the pillion if they both want to listen to the same source. It really all depends on budget and if you will use the enhanced features of the more technological offerings.

Got my RT in March...now we are getting closer to an environment where we can use an RT for the purposes it was intended, I need to give some thought to rider/pillion comms. Currently using budget Bluetooth intercom, but no music, no sat nav . I will be watching closely to see what the size years here will advise.

I will also be looking at what everyone else says, as well!! ;)

I understand the comments about the mesh systems etc, but the OP's requirements did not specify that.

Using an Interphone Tour for me and an Interphone XT5 for the missus on the back. Well impressed with the quality and way better than the wired system I used to use. For the life of me I can't remember the name of it just now. Age doesn't come alone...lol

I am in the process of getting a new comms system as my old U clear is not up to scratch.I have the read the Bm system is sub standard which is a pity as you could use the wonder wheel.Is there any agreement between this forum as what works best on the RT.Main reason of use is for pillion comms and music on highway stints.Thanks ,stay safe Dogmaboy.

The success of any system rests on its usability and reliability.

My suggestion would be to go to your local retail outlet with your better half, specify your requirements and try a system. Do not pay up until you are connected to your pillion and the bike (if it has audio) and are perfectly happy with the results.

Tell the proprietor that you will be returning it if it gives trouble.

Since you are not after bike-to-bike, most reputable brands will meet your requirements.

We use the System 7 helmets with the BMW comms and find it exceptionally good. There have been a few software updates and eeach time I feel the speech gets a little clearer. There is no delay in Vox and volume is very good. Bit dear but I think its worth it.

Thankyou

Thankyou all for your replies,sorry if I was a little vague in my questions.I have read in some reviews that the Bmw system was slow acting would loose connections easily and was difficult to understand pillions comments.Price wasnt an issue if the system could play music through the headphones well ,take calls clearly and between rider and pillion clearly as well as nav warnings that is what I would like.I think music in the headphones would be better than through the bike speakers,I could stand corrected here as I havent compared. I had not heard the Bmw system had been up graded,that could make a difference to what I purchase.Thanks again stay safe ,Dogmaboy

Thankyou all for your replies,sorry if I was a little vague in my questions.I have read in some reviews that the Bmw system was slow acting would loose connections easily and was difficult to understand pillions comments.Price wasnt an issue if the system could play music through the headphones well ,take calls clearly and between rider and pillion clearly as well as nav warnings that is what I would like.I think music in the headphones would be better than through the bike speakers,I could stand corrected here as I havent compared. I had not heard the Bmw system had been up graded,that could make a difference to what I purchase.Thanks again stay safe ,Dogmaboy

I do not recognise any of the problems you describe with the BMW system I have the Nav VI and the instructions are crystal clear. It bleeps 3 times in your ear when you exceed the speed limit amongst other things. As you can see I am very pleased with it. A dealer should let you sample it before you decide.

+1 for the BMW Comms in System 6 and System 7 system helmets , been using for 3 years, with a 17 plate RT. It does everything really well with great sound quality. Pillion, Nav 6, phone, radio and iPod work seamlessly. Excellent battery life and it’s got to be the neatest looking comms unit out there 👍😎

Has anyone experienced crackling and intermittent high pitched screeches when going past some other vehicles? We've just bought system 7 helmets with the V3 comms system but having problems with the rider to pillion intercom. Music playback is fine. With both flips down and mikes not trapped etc I get lots of crackling and interference in my helmet speakers, the Mrs doesn't get any. It feels like an intermittent dodgy connection. Any experiences of something similar?

Has anyone experienced crackling and intermittent high pitched screeches when going past some other vehicles? We've just bought system 7 helmets with the V3 comms system but having problems with the rider to pillion intercom. Music playback is fine. With both flips down and mikes not trapped etc I get lots of crackling and interference in my helmet speakers, the Mrs doesn't get any. It feels like an intermittent dodgy connection. Any experiences of something similar?

Nope not had any interference on ours...
I do sometimes receive a punch in the kidneys for going too quick, from SWMBO :thumb

if you have just bought them I would be inclined to go back and complain.

For anyone reading this, the OP's problem was sorted with a software update performed by the dealer (Cannons in this case)

I havent read the other responses, but you should try the Sena. Any Sena.

Night and day to other systems, in terms of clarity, distance and battery.

I have a twin set 20 series built in on the latest Shoei Neotec2 helmets we have. The helmet/comms combo is beyond reproach for touring purposes. Cant think of Anything beating it. But its quite dear.

Back
Top Bottom