Airhead Rally Special (an old for sale ad with history)

Wreford Miles

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A for sale thread would be to vulgar for this bike - However I’ve some life changes ahead and I don’t see this bike, that’s to date has been a big part of my life being much more than a dust collector so I’d be happy to discuss its re homing with those that get the part it could play in their lives.

It’s a g/s Paris Dakar converted by HPE (not HPN) strengthened frame, extended mono lever, USD forks engine build by Max B in Holland (again forgotten his surname but he’s a top builder) with 1000cc Sibenrock and high torque cam. Rear subframe is Q-Tech
Bought from a UKGSer in 2007
Used on the Dawn till Dusk in 2008 - It’s in that years Touratech catalogue
It was further prepared by Bernie (forgot his surname) who was Cyril Despres Rally mechanic and used on the 2009 Alto Tura Rally where it came 2nd in class (it was in with KTM 690s)
For that Rally it also had some Richie Moore fettling
After that it was used in various Welsh Rallies

It had a partial refresh’s by Overland and classic and a few years later and end to end c£2500 refresh, including a gearbox rebuild, high output alternator and all new and upgraded electronics. The brief was, it does not need to look pretty but I want to know it could be ridden down to Morocco and then used off piste.

That was a couple of years ago and since it’s done maybe 2500 miles

Total mileage is unknown as it’s had Rally trips and no speedo but when I bought it in 2007 it had c5000 miles and I doubt I’ve put more than 10,000 miles on it.

Open to a re homing conversation - It’s not quite a for sale post but to avoid the it needs a price posts it’s one million pounds. However I’m happy to discuss and move on that though, but that’s something for conversation :D

Besides those with a real interest will know the ball park value and I expect to be discussing a price in that area.

It will come with 3 rear wheels, 2 front, a Rally box full of bits and road book holder and trips.

Thank you for reading and PM me if you’d like to have a chat about it...

Happy to answer interesting questions about the bike in this thread for those that may not be wanting to own it but would like to know about this rather special bike - Other posts maybe ignored, I’m expecting a few.

Attachments

• 35BE14E7-B96D-4848-8B08-94C670150F99.jpeg
    35BE14E7-B96D-4848-8B08-94C670150F99.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 661
  • DE66F5F4-DAED-4DB3-A8F8-87F9E0E17550.jpg
    DE66F5F4-DAED-4DB3-A8F8-87F9E0E17550.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 652
  • 070070C8-2B13-4500-9F1F-4DA4765D6ACD.jpg
    070070C8-2B13-4500-9F1F-4DA4765D6ACD.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 642
  • 15872664-BD49-485A-84B2-D00045E79385.jpg
    15872664-BD49-485A-84B2-D00045E79385.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 702
It’s had a few front light nav set ups, it now has the double light which actually gives very good protection for road work. It will also come with a 2nd smaller tank

Attachments

• 2036078E-F863-44F2-83C4-B7FBA1E1E102.jpeg
    2036078E-F863-44F2-83C4-B7FBA1E1E102.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 654
  • 89FA0561-EDD6-4126-AAC5-2BEBCE565F6E.jpg
    89FA0561-EDD6-4126-AAC5-2BEBCE565F6E.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 646
Did I miss a price? If it’s for sale, it needs one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read the post again....

:D

Looks and sounds very nice Wreford GLWS!

Thank you...although I genuinely see this more as a re homing opportunity. I don’t need to sell it but if it could play an important part in someone else’s life I’d like to have that conversation

Read the post again....

Yes. I see it’s not a for sale post but it’s a for sale post? Complete with history and pics. Clearly it’s me thats not getting it!

Yes. I see it’s not a for sale post but it’s a for sale post? Complete with history and pics. Clearly it’s me thats not getting it!

There IS a price in the original post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks great, and I would love to give it a home, but taken on another project recently so no cash to spare.

a beautiful bike, needs an active home !

GLWS / R-H

Yes that's what it needs - Its an amazingly capable bike, great traction off road it’s as though you can feel and feed in every beat of the engine.

It’s also a surprisingly agile and rapid road bike, which some at last years Dent will have witnessed. For starters it’s one of those bikes that just seems to deliver speed easily - When I had my HP2 the comparison I had was when the HP2 felt like it was doing 75mph it was actually only doing 65 but on this Airhead it’s the opposite you think it’s doing 65, but no you’re zipping along at 75

I rarely ride it now but when I do I get back and I always say to my Wife...That’s such a lovely bike

If memory serves, I remember seeing that bike in the back of a van in Llangollywatsit in 2007 when I think JB was the owner. Please tell me I'm not completely senile Wreford.

One of the most purposeful GS's I have had the pleasure of seeing. She will offer great fulfillment to some lucky persons biking life.

If memory serves, I remember seeing that bike in the back of a van in Llangollywatsit in 2007 when I think JB was the owner. Please tell me I'm not completely senile Wreford.

One of the most purposeful GS's I have had the pleasure of seeing. She will offer great fulfillment to some lucky persons biking life.

Yes that’s the one - I saw it and knew if it ever came up for sale I’d want it.

Airhead Rally Special (Possibly for Sale)

Yes that’s the one - I saw it and knew if it ever came up for sale I’d want it.

You bought it after that GS event

Forks are Yamaha 48mm WRF KYB, mated to a WRF wheel and brakes (far better than any BMW offerings) and Excel Rim

This airhead is a cracker and was a standard 100 g/s PD owned and displayed in the showroom of the Antwerp BMW dealer, before it was converted to this very special bike

Mat Beekers of Boxer Toko did the original 1000cc engine work( I took it to the Dutch Easter GS event in 2006 and he told me how special the bike was

I spent the money on a new Xchallenge that I kept for 7 years

Thanks JB - Having moved house a few times since purchase I’ve misplaced some of the paperwork that came with it. I recall there was a c€2500 Euro bill from Matt Becker for the Engine work

https://www.bmwboxersupplies.com/

...and the thread when it first came to light on this forum which has some of the build photos

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/79695-Got-myself-an-Airhead?highlight=Airhead

I know Chris had the sister bike but who was it that bought it into the UK - I’m thinking it was a BMW dealer principle

Back
Top Bottom