myroute app and waypoints

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR268

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a Nav v and have subscribed to Myroutes for the year.

I plan the routes using multiple waypoints, primarily to take us down the roads of our choice and stop it taking short cuts.

is there a way that the waypoints are followed but not marked on my nav screen, ie it says 4 miles to waypoint, but Im more interested in how far it is to the next turning and what direction it is.

Not sure what is going on with your Nav. I use MY Route App all the time. I have just had a look at a route I had in my trips form last year up to Scotland and simulated the route. My Nav routes as normal, in the top left hand corner it shows distance to next turn and not the next waypoint. So as it does for any navigation, just like if you just stick a post code in as a destination. You can set different options on the bottom left for distance to via etc, but I have mine set to arrival time

Not sure what is going on with your Nav. I use MY Route App all the time. I have just had a look at a route I had in my trips form last year up to Scotland and simulated the route. My Nav routes as normal, in the top left hand corner it shows distance to next turn and not the next waypoint. So as it does for any navigation, just like if you just stick a post code in as a destination. You can set different options on the bottom left for distance to via etc, but I have mine set to arrival time

thanks

that gives me hope of a handy solution,

its a pain as some times the waypoint needs to be reasonably close to a junction to stop the route being created using a tiny side road just prior to the waypoint and then there is little notice to the turn when the waypoint is passed.

I live in Northern Ireland and we have some seriously small roads that are to be avoided and the mapping would take you down them as they are technically shorter.

what format of gpx are you exporting to the nav in ?

thanks

that gives me hope of a handy solution,

its a pain as some times the waypoint needs to be reasonably close to a junction to stop the route being created using a tiny side road just prior to the waypoint and then there is little notice to the turn when the waypoint is passed.

I live in Northern Ireland and we have some seriously small roads that are to be avoided and the mapping would take you down them as they are technically shorter.

what format of gpx are you exporting to the nav in ?

Yes, when plotting a route, its good practice to zoom in on waypoints to make sure they are actually where you want them and not in a field or something. I always use Gpx 1.0, Gpx 1.1 or BMW motorcycle is a pain as you end up with straight lines and you have to go through the process of sorting them out. Gpx 1.0 works every time, although you end up with all your points as waypoints. What I do is once the route is loaded on the Nav, go into the route press the 3 horizontal bars on the top left and it lets you then change any of your waypoints to shaping points if you don't really want them all as waypoints you have to go through or close too. They have never managed to sort out BMW gpx 1.1, which actually just gives you a start and finish point and shaping points. You then have to go into the route on the Nav as above and change the shaping points to actual waypoints if you want them announced etc. Its something to do with how Garmin treat shaping points when loading a route, but guess Basecamp manages. But its not a hassle for me to use gpx 1.0

Yes, when plotting a route, its good practice to zoom in on waypoints to make sure they are actually where you want them and not in a field or something. I always use Gpx 1.0, Gpx 1.1 or BMW motorcycle is a pain as you end up with straight lines and you have to go through the process of sorting them out. Gpx 1.0 works every time, although you end up with all your points as waypoints. What I do is once the route is loaded on the Nav, go into the route press the 3 horizontal bars on the top left and it lets you then change any of your waypoints to shaping points if you don't really want them all as waypoints you have to go through or close too. They have never managed to sort out BMW gpx 1.1, which actually just gives you a start and finish point and shaping points. You then have to go into the route on the Nav as above and change the shaping points to actual waypoints if you want them announced etc. Its something to do with how Garmin treat shaping points when loading a route, but guess Basecamp manages. But its not a hassle for me to use gpx 1.0

thanks

I use gpx 1.0 as well, only because someone on here said it was the best to use.

The sat nav info on this site are all over the place with great info in so many different places, I just get lost or find wee useful tit bits here and there.

I am away to see if I can change the waypoints to shaping points as you have described

thanks

Thanks very much, been out and worked out what you meant. I would never have found that,

I assume I have to do the conversion on the nav and not on the pc in myroutes before I export it

I have uploaded a few pics below for someone else like me was a bit in the dark. I didnt convert all the way points and it gives an idea how many there were before on the whole route.

It makes all the options in the nav v screen make so much more sense.

I can now plot tea breaks and lunch stops and know distance and time wise how far away I am and have all the info on the screen at a nudge of my knuckle.

the route shown is a fantastic route of the twistiest roads and scenery you could wish for, total round trip was 320 miles, done in one day. If ever this direction I recommend it

thanks very much

any other wee useful hints and tips you have found are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200720_153632.jpg
    20200720_153632.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 208
  • 20200720_153533.jpg
    20200720_153533.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 196
  • 20200720_153523.jpg
    20200720_153523.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 195
  • 20200720_153551.jpg
    20200720_153551.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 204
Glad you are sorted. You have to change your waypoints to shaping points in the device and visa versa, but that has never given me any issues. Think in Base camp you can decide when plotting the route, whether its a waypoint or a shaping point. But I find MRA so much easier and use the feature to be able to compare routes on Tom Tom Maps and Garmin HERE maps and the other open source map when doing routes for my mates. I am not a power user though, I should really put some effort into learning all the features :)

I use gpx 1.0 as well, only because someone on here said it was the best to use.

The sat nav info on this site are all over the place with great info in so many different places, I just get lost or find wee useful tit bits here and there.

We work pretty hard on trying to bring some order to the gps section.

If participants directed their questions as to how MyRoute (by way of example) works directly to MyRoute's own forum and / or their help pages, it would cut down a lot of the correspondence and confusion. If MyRoute or whoever are not prepared to help or answer the questions, then that is another matter entirely. Of course staying entirely within a TomTom / Garmin environment would help, too.

If participants directed their questions as to how MyRoute (by way of example) works directly to MyRoute's own forum and / or their help pages, it would cut down a lot of the correspondence and confusion. If MyRoute or whoever are not prepared to help or answer the questions, then that is another matter entirely. Of course staying entirely within a TomTom / Garmin environment would help, too.

My Route App has a very good support and forum page and they answer quickly, mostly by people who actually know what they are talking about, rather than armchair experts :) I didn't realise on here we were only allowed to discuss Garmin and Basecamp - is that a new rule?

Not at all. It was why the the specific sub-section 'Other software' was created, separating it out from other sections, in a rather similar way that the "I can't hear anything from my iPhone" sub-section was created. It was simply a reply to the comment that the information was all over the place. Yes it sometimes is, which is why we work hard on trying to sort to out, cutting posts out, moving them, creating sub-sections, archiving old threads and all sorts of other housekeeping.

Now that folk know that MyRoute has an excellent help section, traffic into UKGSer as to why something isn't woking well in the specific software will maybe reduce, as questions like the opening post will be answered there. It's where I'd start if I had a Myroute question, I guess.

If anyone wonders where MyRoutes help page is, it was made a sticky some time ago: https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/505329-MyRoute-app-Support-website along with several other hopefully useful stickies.

there are far too many sub forums you need to be a mind reader to know which one to post in

its well and good saying that I should have contacted Myroutes after we know the answer but I would have to say the question was specifically about waypoints so was posted in routes and waypoints which I dont find unreasonable

I actually had googled and trawled my way through myroutes forum and had come to the conclusion that there was no way to convert waypoints to shaping points in their program.

Luckily for me Casbar knew the answer and was kind enough to enlighten me.

Turns out the real answer was a feature in the Nav V that I knew nothing about, so should I have posted my initial question in the Nav V section ?

Don't worry.

Your opening post now resides in the MyRoute sub-section.

If you like, we can get rid off all the sub-sections entirely and lob everything into one open folder. It wouldn't take long to do......

The waypoints sub-section could be usefully binned. It has very little traffic in it, having been created originally for bods to share suggestions on places to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom