Install Maps to Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becksy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi. I consider myself fairly proficient with Basecamp, I like it and it is my preferred route planning tool.
Now that is out of the way, I haven't updated my maps in a while, have been running Western Europe 2018.3 for quite a while, more out of concern that it could all go wrong when updating and the usual stories about new releases causing problems.
I have however updated to 2021.1 on my device yesterday, but I cannot figure out how to get those maps into Basecamp so I can plan with the latest maps without the device plugged in. I have downloaded the maps to the Mac, could therefore appreciate some advice on the next step.
Many thanks.

Garmin Express, manage the maps and select "install to computer".

garminexpressmaps.gif

Garmin Express, manage the maps and select "install to computer".

Thanks, yes already done that. The maps are on my Mac somewhere but don't show in Basecamp. Looks like I have to do something to get them in to Basecamp.

No you don't.
Follow what I indicated in the video. They will then be available in Basecamp.

The actual files will be located in:

/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps/City_Navigator_Europe_NTU_2021_10.gmap

Sadly, Express also keeps a local copy of the map installed on the satnav in: /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Express/
I normally clear that manually after a while, but because I have limited storage on my current Mac.

Thanks, yes already done that. The maps are on my Mac somewhere but don't show in Basecamp. Looks like I have to do something to get them in to Basecamp.

The maps should automaticlly be placed in the correct folder. Use Garmin Map Manager to check where yours are.

And, in BC, have you clicked the Maps dropdown menu? Do you see them there? Sometimes BC can fail to 'select' the latest downloaded update

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-20 at 11.11.07.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-07-20 at 11.11.07.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 65
They should go straight in. Though you haven’t said if you are updating an old device (pre-lifetime updates) maps or a newer device, which does. If the former, the maps may need to be unlocked. If the latter:

Close down BaseCamp on your Mac.

Reopen BaseCamp on your Mac.

Go to the map drop down button and select the latest map.

It should then work.

If the map is not shown, launch Garmin ‘map manager’ and see if it is listed there.

Report back.

As in posts above, once you have the latest map up and running, you can (very safely) remove any old maps, using Map manager.

I had already looked in the map drop down and they weren't there, but it looks like I hadn't shutdown Basecamp. Have done that and they are now there! Schoolboy error. Thanks, and I have wasted everyone's time. (At last the bypass around Newtown will be on my Satnav haha).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom