UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
k1600 4000 miles now in for starter motor problems ,
anyone else ?
:augie:augie

picked up today,
4000 miles sprag clutch assembly ?
gets better with age.

My 2017 GT Sport would occasionally spin the starter but not the engine. Sometimes took two or three goes to catch - I traded it for my 2019 model and let them know at trade in.

My new one doesn't have reverse (just a speced up base model) and has no problems.

My 1600 GT (2017) registration started the fun and games, just as I arrived in France at the start of a four week jaunt. Sometimes the bike would fire up quite normally and sometimes the starter motor would just spin, without engaging with the starter ring. There was no pattern to it. Hot, cold, warm; it made no difference. Sometimes it worked. Sometimes it didn’t. Not wishing to cancel my jaunt, I just lived with it. Its last refusal to engage was just as the barrier lifted to join the Chunnel train on my return.

Whilst I was away I simply took a video of the problem, then emailed it to BMW Battersea, along with a brief summary of the issue, booking the bike in for a date that suited me on my return.

I then rode the bike to Battersea, who cured it under the extended warranty I had bought. The parts replaced were the freewheel gear (the bit that stops the engine turning the starter motor, or it would spin at about 20,000 rpm) along with some other bits. Bike dropped off on Tuesday, collected back by me on Friday afternoon.

Job done, as easy as that.

It has been on the 1600 forum for a number of years. That is why I suggested it to you in post #2.

Blimey how history repeats itself. Our first K100 needed starter cogs replaced, if memory serves me it started with 8 teeth, which failed repeatedly, then to 10 teeth, then twelve.

:blast

Back
Top Bottom