Daytona Spirit Boots - how do you get them on?

RSInterloper

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Saw a good price on Daytona Spirit boots from Moto-Discount on Amazon (I'm making use of the European supplier's prices whilst we still can), so I thought I'd treat myself.

Boots arrived yesterday and look very nice. However, even wearing the thinnest of socks I find it a real struggle to get my feet into them. With bare feet It's not quite so bad, but still a Herculean effort. Once on, the boots fit my feet perfectly (size 41. I'm usually 42 in shoes but I have found with most boots e.g. BMW I'm 41).

It is equally difficult to get them off again.

The problem seems to be that there is not enough space at the junction between the bottom of my shin and the top of my foot (what's that called?) to get my foot "round the bend" into the boot.

I've never had this problem with any other boots - motorcycling, walking, skiing.

Are all Daytona boots like this (I see some have double zips or other opening mechanisms)?

Is there a solution?

I have the same issue with my Road Star GTX's, but you just persevere as the opening does loosen up, on the road stars anyway as the leather stretches and gives a little. Once on they are perfect in every way, but getting them on take a bit of grunting and groaning. My previous pair lasted close to 15 years.

Is that all you have to worry about ;)

Try adding short and wide feet, & wide calves to your list. Then your in my world :(

I gave up looking for any form of boot that does calves,

Because all the designers, have never turned the design book past page one, which states all mesurements follow std ratios

So if your a normal size 9 or 10, your in clover, size 6 or 16 however and its deep shit.

Because the book says a size 6 is a tiny foot, the widths will be narrow, as will the calves,

likewise if your a size 16 you will have very wide feet and massive calves.

So if like me you fall into one of those catagorys, your fucked.

It takes no longer, in time, parts or materials to make shoes / boots to fit the 3% , but sadly most manufacturers go for the

97th percentile and build to that. the ones that dont and cover us lucky few, sadly charge over the odds tbh.

i only wear ankle boots these days - Doc's and Altbergs do the widths and sizes,

Some of the bigger bike brands drop to the lower sizes in ankle boots, but there longevity is more weekend to the shops and

back than daily rider, so dont expect much except the price ;)

For me Daytona boot sizes are identical to my shoe size. Same with SWMBO & we must have bought at least 10 pairs between us over the years.

Hence I suggest you have out-thought the sizing issue & need to go up to a 42

Boots arrived yesterday and look very nice. However, even wearing the thinnest of socks I find it a real struggle to get my feet into them. With bare feet It's not quite so bad, but still a Herculean effort. Once on, the boots fit my feet perfectly (size 41. I'm usually 42 in shoes but I have found with most boots e.g. BMW I'm 41).

The zip must be at the bottom-most extremity of its travel.

If they are anything like my Daytona Strives theya re a bugger to get on and off when new

In the case of the strive they have the anti twist protection stuff around the heel and instep which does not appear to be much but certainly holds your foot in once in them

They do get easier

I would suggest that their sizing is slightly awry and you need the next size up or you can stretch the leather. I've used this method for stretching the wrists on brand new leather gloves so it might work for boots. Soak them for about 10 minutes in hot water and then squeeze something into them to increase the opening, on my gloves I used a couple of jars, leave them to dry naturally and hopefully they will be easier to get on.

Regarding the sizing suggestions, I have tried a pair of the Daytona Arrow Sports (easy to get on with 2 side zips even though only 1 is necessary!) in 42 and they were definitely too big on the feet, whereas 41 is fine. Hence I went for 41 in the Spirit, which as I said fits my foot perfectly - I wouldn't want to go to 42 and be flopping around with blisters etc. I have made sure the zip is fully down, and have undone all the Velcro flaps, although the latter did not seem to be causing any sort of restriction anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I can only get the short style Daytona boot on now. Rainbow GTX & Journey XCR.

I had a pair of longer touring boots, Nonstop I think. After an injury, my foot swelled and never shrank back to the original size as the bones splayed a bit. Their ankles areas seem to be quite narrow and the protection means they are not very flexible. I have even tried the wider fit version of their Roadstar without success.

My Rainbows are lovely, though. The Journey XCR are a very wide fit so great in winter with heated insoles and thick socks.

I have Daytona Spirit boots. I originally bought thesize 42, or size 7. And then figured out that Daytona actually have half sizes listed as full sizes. My actual size is a 41 in daytona, which is a 6.5 in their catalog. Also be aware that the same boot is often sold under different names as the might change an upper or a zip location or the shop selling them has old stock. I tried to replace my Daytona roadstar but the new roadstar's were completely different. Spirit's were the same boot, renamed.

Hmm as far as I know size 42 is UK 8. Whatever, seems to me that the size "number" is irrelevant, it's the fit of the boot to your foot that's important. I have been putting them on (with some effort) and walking around, bending etc. to try and break them in. It does seem to be getting slightly easier, or maybe that's just wishful thinking....

A bit more experimentation and a lot of grunting - I now realise that the top of my foot wouldn't go "round the bend" because my heel wouldn't drop down into the heel pocket. There's a lot of friction between the sock and the back of the boot. I managed to find a long shoe horn and with its help and a fair bit of pushing and shoving the heel goes in a bit more readily.

The gut-wrenching "what have I done" feeling is slowly dissipating....but I think it'll be a while before I risk a tour. My feet swell in hot weather and it can be a struggle to get my usual boots off at the end of a long day. Maybe instead of that strip of grey stuff down the back of the boot they should stick a strip of Teflon there - if anything would stick to it ;)

I wear only Daytona boots and I have found they are all like that from new, took me nearly 5 tries to get into my Strives when they first arrived, but now they fit perfect.

It did take 2 weeks of everyday wearing them though before they loosened up enough to be a simple task.

A bit more experimentation and a lot of grunting - I now realise that the top of my foot wouldn't go "round the bend" because my heel wouldn't drop down into the heel pocket. There's a lot of friction between the sock and the back of the boot. I managed to find a long shoe horn and with its help and a fair bit of pushing and shoving the heel goes in a bit more readily.

The gut-wrenching "what have I done" feeling is slowly dissipating....but I think it'll be a while before I risk a tour. My feet swell in hot weather and it can be a struggle to get my usual boots off at the end of a long day. Maybe instead of that strip of grey stuff down the back of the boot they should stick a strip of Teflon there - if anything would stick to it ;)

It does sound like a struggle.
Have you tried removing the insole? tried a thinner one?
We have Mstars and i found mine to be full size 8`s/42 so have put a slightly thicker insole in to make it a tight fit. SWMBO finds hers (39?) to be ok as is.

I’m kind of a 7.5 size foot and can often get in a 7 but prefer to get an 8 and just put a decent comfort insole , usually with a bit of an instep, inside th shoot or shoe.

I realise this suggestion is useless to you as you've already bought and worn your boots :p

I’m kind of a 7.5 size foot and can often get in a 7 but prefer to get an 8 and just put a decent comfort insole , usually with a bit of an instep, inside th shoot or shoe.

I realise this suggestion is useless to you as you've already bought and worn your boots :p

That's OK - all suggestions welcome :beer:

At one time if one bought shoes from Rohan they supplied a nice shoe horn with every pair. My suggestion to Daytona is that they do the same!

As I said above, boot sizing for me at least is odd. I am 8 (42) in most shoes, and in things like BMW Sneakers. However every leather M/C boot I've tried I'm a 41 - and with plenty of room for my toes.

With the shoe horn I'm now able to get them on and off even with my bike socks on, so I can at least wear them around the house and maybe even go for a ride* (if it stops raining)…..

Thanks all.

* I've had to move my gear shift up - these boots seem to be a somewhat thicker than the BMW Allrounds I've been wearing

I wear only Daytona boots and I have found they are all like that from new, took me nearly 5 tries to get into my Strives when they first arrived, but now they fit perfect.

It did take 2 weeks of everyday wearing them though before they loosened up enough to be a simple task.

They are all like that sir! Or at least the two pairs I have are (Roadstar/Strive). It does get better with use.

It is the deliberate design to prevent the boot coming off in an accident. I find a good wellington boot jack is the answer to getting out of them!

I can get my foot in ok - it's doing up the curved zip that's the problem I have :mad:

Just at the point where it passes over the arch of my foot.

Put a plastic bag in them and push it to the toe. Fill the bag with water. Place in a chest freezer for 24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom