Bleeding brakes

Neil A

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
If anyone can come up with a cunning plan...

It's a DCT and I removed the whole parking brake set up (Bullet brake thing added to front brake).

Then fitted a second hand Magura hydraulic clutch m/cylinder and braided line and attached onto top of rear m/cylinder with a double banjo. I know the clutch m/cylinder might be a bit low on pressure/volume to operate the brake, but went for it as an experiment (I already had one kicking around).

But, can't bleed the new set up at all. If I try with the rear m/cylinder lid off, the handlebar lever pumps fluid out and it overflows. If I pump the foot pedal, it pushes air and fluid up into the m/cylinder on the bars. If I have the lid on either m/cylinder, I can't get any pressure at all to bleed the system.

Driving me mad. Must be doing something wrong. Suppose i could try raising bits up to get the air to rise up through the system, but it's going to need about 3 pairs of hands

When newly plumbed brakes have given me a headache, I've had great success vacuum bleeding from the calliper with a 100ml syringe and a length of silicon tube.

Fill it from the lowest bleed point using the syringe/silicone tube approach to pump fluid up into the system. You’ll need the highest point (Reservoir usually) to be open.

Once it’s full and everything buttoned up, zip tie or Velcro the lever half way in and leave overnight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for all the replies.
That last one is a very good point and something I hadn't thought about. Makes perfect sense, now you say, though.
Maybe I will just go for a long brake line and forget about the foot bit.
Very much appreciate the help.

Ok, so this is where I have got to.
Did what I should have done first, and carried out some internet based research. I spoke to the very nice and knowledgeable Alan Buchanan of Smokn (sell various off-road LHRBs on eBay) and I think I can use a different Magura handlebar m/cylinder (also for a hydraulic clutch), that takes DOT 3/4 brake fluid, rather than the mineral oil that the first one needs. Luckily, I had one kicking around.
I can then buy an adaptor from Alan for a rear brake master cylinder, although I can't use the AT one, as Alan's adapter won't fit. Again, luckily, I had one from a CRF450R kicking around that should work, although I may (will) have to disable the rear ABS, but who needs that anyway?
I always knew buying bits and keeping them just in case would come in useful one day.
I've sent Alan some pictures to see if he thinks it will all work (he is not convinced about the ABS thing as he has almost no experience with fitting this stuff onto road bikes other than supermotos, and they aren't really road bikes).
I'll keep you posted!

Back
Top Bottom