Basecamp not routing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try opening the gpx file in something like notepad. It’s really only text. You could maybe check how much content it has compared to one of your own.

I confess I’ve had this happen to me in the past when sharing a route by bluetooth and if I recall correctly, we fixed it by changing the other gps mode to driving and recalculating before changing back to bike. To be honest, if you are following a route built in basecamp rather than letting the Nav do it's thing, the vehicle of choice is not relevant.

Hello Shakey, I'm not sure what you are getting at. Everything I am doing is contained within Basecamp and using existing routes that work fine in 2018 maps and transfer OK to the Nav. My issue relates to updating the maps in Basecamp, those routes that worked on the previous version of maps do not then display correctly in the new version of maps, they show as direct lines. I have deleted the new maps from Basecamp in an attempt to do a reinstall to see if it worked after a reinstall. I now cannot update the maps in Basecamp, despite reinstalling Basecamp and Express.

Becksy, if you were to switch on your pm ability, I might be able to help you

Understood Wapping- alas, if it is anything like the last person I helped, it took many hours of talking the steps through and doing checks. It is not something I can manage by individual posts.

Hello Shakey, I'm not sure what you are getting at. Everything I am doing is contained within Basecamp and using existing routes that work fine in 2018 maps and transfer OK to the Nav. My issue relates to updating the maps in Basecamp, those routes that worked on the previous version of maps do not then display correctly in the new version of maps, they show as direct lines. I have deleted the new maps from Basecamp in an attempt to do a reinstall to see if it worked after a reinstall. I now cannot update the maps in Basecamp, despite reinstalling Basecamp and Express.

Hi Becksy. OK I think I misunderstood your problem.
I've lookied in my whole basecamp routes collection and found quite a few old routes were shown as straight lines. Unhelpfully, this was corrected as soon as I recalculated them.

Becksy,

If it is any comfort, I have just updated BaseCamp's maps on my Mac and device from 2020.3 to 2021.1

Many old routes - of which I have hundreds - display perfectly on both. However, as before, if I download some gpx files from 'other sources' (ie a German magazine) I do sometimes still get straight lines, which need recalculation. These 'straight line' routes will though display perfectly in some third party software, without me doing anything to them. Why this is so, I can only guess. I suspect that that it's because the 'other sources' gpx files are sometimes somehow identified to BaseCamp as a 'Direct route', so that is what indeed displays in the 'Activity' menu. Switch the activity to 'Motorbike' or 'car' and it snaps over to follow the roads, presumably according to my preference settings.

So yes, I can replicate your problem and, yes, it's not something new.

Fellow UKGSer Leedude and I had a similar 'straight line' problem when we helped another UKGER member sort his problem out. gpx files are not 'perfect', as Shakey pointed out but, whatever they are they, they're a lot better than what went on before.

Wapping, problem is now that I I cannot even install the updated maps anymore. So now back to 2018.3 on Basecamp with 2021.1 in the Nav unit.
Think I will have to consider switching to My Route App if I want latest maps.

Wapping, problem is now that I I cannot even install the updated maps anymore. So now back to 2018.3 on Basecamp with 2021.1 in the Nav unit.
Think I will have to consider switching to My Route App if I want latest maps.

Not that it helps you, but I've just updated the maps to 2021.1 mapping, on 2 Zumo's (a 590 and a 595). Both installed fine. I also updated the maps on my computer (a Mac) to 2021.1, also all fine. I kept my older versions of maps too. I'm very pleased to say that with my new gigabit broadband it took about 5 minutes all in!

I've tried recalculating some old routes in Basecamp (made on who knows what maps) on the 2021.1 maps by opening the routes>details>info>recalculate, and they did, with some differences to the old routes based, I guess, on the new maps plus the parameters I had set which may be different to when I calculated them previously. To avoid losing the routes, I duplicated and renamed them "route1" etc. Prior to recalculation, they appeared correct on Basecamp.

I sent a new route, made on my freshly minted 2021.1 maps to both my devices, I imported them and they both look the same as the they did in Basecamp. I also sent some routes made on earlier versions of the maps to the devices, and on recalculation there were some differences - but Garmin always does this unless you add the waypoints or shaping points to take you exactly where you want to go.

It does suggest there is something amiss at your end, rather than Garmin, (although obvs. Garmin is shite, etc.etc.).

If you want to persevere, perhaps you could post up some screen shots - for example, of the device connected to Garmin Express, and the prompts you get, and also the device connected to Basecamp so we can see what maps it shows there. Also, perhaps look on the unit and tell us what maps the unit tells you it has (settings>map and vehicle>scroll down>my maps) -it should have 4 entries along the lines of:

CN NTU 2021.10 All South
CN NTU 2021.10 All North
Europe DEM

All should be ticked

Perhaps also, on the device go settings>navigation and tell us what it says there.

And as others have said, put one of your GPX files somewhere where we can get it, or email it, so we can take a look to see what happens on our systems - maybe the route itself got corrupted

oops! Just noticed that Wapping has said the same thing.

One more thing, I did also import some routes from Kurviger, they also worked fine.

Not that it helps you, but I've just updated the maps to 2021.1 mapping, on 2 Zumo's (a 590 and a 595). Both installed fine. I also updated the maps on my computer (a Mac) to 2021.1, also all fine. I kept my older versions of maps too. I'm very pleased to say that with my new gigabit broadband it took about 5 minutes all in!

I've tried recalculating some old routes in Basecamp (made on who knows what maps) on the 2021.1 maps by opening the routes>details>info>recalculate, and they did, with some differences to the old routes based, I guess, on the new maps plus the parameters I had set which may be different to when I calculated them previously. To avoid losing the routes, I duplicated and renamed them "route1" etc. Prior to recalculation, they appeared correct on Basecamp.

I sent a new route, made on my freshly minted 2021.1 maps to both my devices, I imported them and they both look the same as the they did in Basecamp. I also sent some routes made on earlier versions of the maps to the devices, and on recalculation there were some differences - but Garmin always does this unless you add the waypoints or shaping points to take you exactly where you want to go.

It does suggest there is something amiss at your end, rather than Garmin, (although obvs. Garmin is shite, etc.etc.).

If you want to persevere, perhaps you could post up some screen shots - for example, of the device connected to Garmin Express, and the prompts you get, and also the device connected to Basecamp so we can see what maps it shows there. Also, perhaps look on the unit and tell us what maps the unit tells you it has (settings>map and vehicle>scroll down>my maps) -it should have 4 entries along the lines of:

CN NTU 2021.10 All South
CN NTU 2021.10 All North
Europe DEM

All should be ticked

Perhaps also, on the device go settings>navigation and tell us what it says there.

And as others have said, put one of your GPX files somewhere where we can get it, or email it, so we can take a look to see what happens on our systems - maybe the route itself got corrupted

CN NTU 2021.10 All South
CN NTU 2021.10 All North
Europe DEM

All should be ticked

Hello Berin
Thanks for the questions. I have attached below screenshots that showing the Express error message and a shot of Basecamp that shows the maps (the 2021.10 maps are on the Nav, not in Basecamp).

On the unit I have installed and ticked:-
Europe DEM
CN Europe NTU 2021.10 Basic 3D
CN Europe NTU 2021.10 Western Europe

Navigation settings are:
Calculation Time - Faster
Off Route Calculation - Prompted
Avoidances - Motorways, Unpaved Roads
Custom Avoidances - None

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-31 at 10.24.47.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-07-31 at 10.24.47.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 145
  • Screenshot 2020-07-31 at 10.24.03.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-07-31 at 10.24.03.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 145
Becksy,

I am not sure if this helps but here goes.

Having successfully installed the latest maps onto my iMac and onto three gps devices, I went to install the same latest maps onto my old MacBook Air. I got exactly the same error message as you show in post 50. I tried again, the same message.

I unhooked my gps device, closed Garmin Express and restarted my MacBook. I then reattached the gps device and waited for the MacBook to find it. I then launched Garmin Express, which told me that there was an update to Garmin Express available, so I downloaded and installed it. I then asked Garmin Express to update the map on the MacBook only, the updated map having already been installed to the gps device previously. The map update and installation on the MacBook is now going ahead.

It might be as simple as you needing to update Garmin Express? Have a go, you can't break it.

Upadte: It has installed perfectly.

Will give that a whirl, though have reinstalled Express twice.

I got the same error, though it did ask me to update Express to version 7.0.1.0. When I reinstalled Thursday (I think) it was version 7.0.0.0 that was dowloaded from Garmin.

Now I am trying a new approach. I have gone into Express into the change maps option, and selected Western Europe (i.e. what is already on the device), but this time checked the option box at the bottom which should do a concurrent install on Basecamp and the device.

It was doing the Garmin Express update (I see them quite regularly on my Mac) that maybe made the difference. I didn't reinstall Garmin Express. There again, it might simply have been the shutting down and rebooting that did it. Whatever it was, the error message went away and the latest maps installed without any problems. All that left me to do was delete the old maps, using Garmin Mapmanager.

Now I am trying a new approach. I have gone into Express into the change maps option, and selected Western Europe (i.e. what is already on the device), but this time checked the option box at the bottom which should do a concurrent install on Basecamp and the device.

My new approach hasn't worked. No error message that I could see. Have tried reinstalling to latest maps to Basecamp separately and I get the same error message as reported above. It can only be Basecamp causing the problem.

But at this point Basecamp doesn’t come into it, as the failure is occurring when you try to update the maps.

Looks like the latest map did install on Basecamp as it shows on your screenshot,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But at this point Basecamp doesn’t come into it, as the failure is occurring when you try to update the maps.

Looks like the latest map did install on Basecamp as it shows on your screenshot,

But it’s weird that on your device it only says Western Europe 2021.1 is installed.

Current European Garmin maps are installed in 2 parts as they are over the 4gb file limit imposed the operating system and so appear in 2 parts on the device - in use they act as one map - called North and South.

Could you do another screen shot in Express, with the Map options expanded please?

You could download Javawa Device Manager if you’re using Windows, and then use that to tell you what the map coverage is on your device

That latest map is on my device.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But it’s weird that on your device it only says Western Europe 2021.1 is installed.

Current European Garmin maps are installed in 2 parts as they are over the 4gb file limit imposed the operating system and so appear in 2 parts on the device - in use they act as one map - called North and South.

Could you do another screen shot in Express, with the Map options expanded please?

You could download Javawa Device Manager if you’re using Windows, and then use that to tell you what the map coverage is on your device

Hi Berin, see here. I am using a Mac.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-01 at 18.08.17.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-08-01 at 18.08.17.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 156
  • Screenshot 2020-08-01 at 18.08.44.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-08-01 at 18.08.44.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 109
Hello,

On a Mac and with a Nav V, both running the latest maps, you should see:

A. Nav V

CN Europe NTU - 2021.10 ALL South

CN Europe NTU - 2021.10 ALL North

CM Europe NTU - 2012.10 Basic 3D

B. Mac

Using Garmin Map Manager

Name: City Navigator Europe NTU 2021.1
Version: 241.0
Installed Location: Wherever it is you install Gamin maps to

From your screen shot in post 58, it possibly suggests to me that you do not have an SD card loaded into your Nav V or that it is maybe full. If you do not, Garmin Express can only load a small portion of the full European map set. You have ticked Western Europe, which (I think) is only a part of the region in the blue map. If I am correct it maybe explains the words.... 'Chose a region to replace....'

Do you have an SD card in your Nav V and, if so, what does it have on it?

European Map Regions

If your device came preloaded with maps of Europe, Garmin Express may prompt you to install a smaller regional map to your device during a map update.

It is recommended to use a compatible SD card when installing the maps to your device to receive the largest map region possible.

Hello,

On a Mac and with a Nav V, both running the latest maps, you should see:

A. Nav V

CN Europe NTU - 2021.10 ALL South

CN Europe NTU - 2021.10 ALL North

CM Europe NTU - 2012.10 Basic 3D

B. Mac

Using Garmin Map Manager

Name: City Navigator Europe NTU 2021.1
Version: 241.0
Installed Location: Wherever it is you install Gamin maps to

From your screen shot in post 58, it possibly suggests to me that you do not have an SD card loaded into your Nav V or that it is maybe full. If you do not, Garmin Express can only load a small portion of the full European map set. You have ticked Western Europe, which (I think) is only a part of the region in the blue map. If I am correct it maybe explains the words.... 'Chose a region to replace....'

Do you have an SD card in your Nav V and, if so, what does it have on it?

True, Wapping, looks like only a subset of the maps on the device, hence why I asked Becky to check - but that shouldn’t stop it working, except if the routes that show as straight lines are in a region that’s not present, nor should it stop maps reloading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom