Basecamp not routing

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, Wapping, looks like only a subset of the maps on the device, hence why I asked Becky to check - but that shouldn’t stop it working, except if the routes that show as straight lines are in a region that’s not present, nor should it stop maps reloading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, reading back, Becksy still can’t install maps to the computer!

So we are back to square one, sadly.

Becksy, apologies if you’ve answered this before, but do your straight lines on the routes still appear, in Basecamp, on the Mac, but using the maps from your device?

And, if you send a route to the device, then import it, does it route correctly or give straight lines?

I agree, though I am not yet convinced that he has anything more than 'Western Europe' installed on his device, see the comment in post 50:

On the unit I have installed and ticked:-
Europe DEM
CN Europe NTU 2021.10 Basic 3D
CN Europe NTU 2021.10 Western Europe

In the same post 50, there is also a screen shot of his Mac, showing the maps. It lists City Navigator NTU 2018.3 and City Navigator NTU 2021.1 as being available for use. However, 2018.3 is shown as ticked, ie 2018.3 is the map that was active when the screen shot shot was taken.

Becksy, if you can tell us please:

1. If you have an SD card in your Nav V and (if you do) its size and what's on it, including how much spare space it has got left

2. Precisely what maps you have installed on your Nav V, see post 59

3. Without the Nav V connected, by using Garmin Map Manager, precisely what maps you have installed on your Mac, see post 59

4. Without the Nav V connected, a screen shot like that in post 50, showing the maps dropdown box and the installed maps

5. Without the Nav V connected, what response you get when you click on the maps drop down box and select 'Installed maps Info'

6. On your Nav V only (ie without it being connected to the Mac) can you scroll the map on the screen across to say Berlin or Helsinki, please. Then zoom right in. Can you see the detailed small roads in the city?

7. Without the Nav V connected to your Mac, can you go to the maps drop down box, click on it and select NTU 2021.1 please. Zoom in. Do you see detailed maps for the whole of Europe, anywhere and everywhere from Rome to Oslo and Berlin to Lisbon via London and Prague?

Good screen shots of the answers to the above would assist too.

Apologies in advance for the seven questions but helping people remotely is sometimes not the easiest of tasks. This challenge is made harder sometimes when the device is connected to the home computer as it drags maps across, meaning that it is sometimes (from screen shots alone) difficult to tell exactly what we are looking at.

My honest thoughts at the moment are:

1. You only have 'Western Europe' on your Nav V, not the full set of 2021.1 maps

2. That the red error message you saw, maybe relates not to an attempted installation your Mac but but to the Nav V

3. That you maybe have the full set of 2021.1 maps on your Mac but that they are not yet active or, that they are only 'Western Europe'. In post 7 of this separate thread, you seemed to think that the latest maps were installed and active on your Mac https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/537908-Install-Maps-to-Mac therefore I am confused as to why they are not there now

We'll get there in the end.... I hope.

“Apologies in advance for the seven questions but helping people remotely is sometimes not the easiest of tasks. This challenge is made harder sometimes when the device is connected to the home computer as it drags maps across, meaning that it is sometimes (from screen shots alone) difficult to tell exactly what we are looking at. “

Wapping, I think there are no 2021.1 maps at all on the Mac. Becksy’s screen shot above which shows 2021.1 maps on the Mac in the maps drop down shows maps on the device, not on the Mac - Becksy has confirmed this already in one of the posts (can’t see which post number)

I agree. Though I suspect that he only has Western Europe (not the full set) on his device which is maybe where at least a part of the confusion is coming from. Leaving that aside, I am simply trying through the questions to establish what maps (if any and to what scope) he does have loaded and active:

A. On his device

B. On his Mac

By disconnecting one from the other, to prevent maps leaking across, we’ll hopefully find out exactly. Then, as I have a Mac and a Nav V (both of which have the latest maps loaded) with the answers, we’ll be able to compare his with mine and (hopefully) go from there.

Thanks guys, appreciate all the support and effort. Getting to be quite a lengthy thread. Late reply as just got back from Wales, nice day out it was.

On my device (ticked):-
Europe DEM
CN Europe NTU 2021.10 Basic 3D
CN Europe NTU 2021.10 Western Europe

I think the maps I have are everything indicated on that screenshot earlier. Western Europe. I can search and find Rome, Madrid and Paris on my map. Seems to show full detail. Whereas if I search Warsaw, seems to be basic map.

On my Mac (using Garmin Map Manager), I have:
City Navigator Europe NTU 2018.3
(the drop down box in Basecamp, without the Nav V attached shows this map and global map.

I seem to be able to search every city on my Mac. i.e. detail of Warsaw, and Wales!

I do not have an SD card in my Nav V.

A reminder of the original problem; With 2021.10 maps installed on my Mac I couldn't get a route snapped to the road, it was just straight lines. After my original post I then deleted the map, and now cannot reinstall it.

(I seem to remember when I last updated maps years ago I could only install either a Northern Western Europe Map, or a Southern Western Europe map. I might be misremembering).

I am beginning to think there is some kind of conflict.

OK.

1. You do not have the full set of European maps loaded onto your Nav V. Had you had the full set installed, you would have been able to see Poland and Warsaw in as much intimate fine detail as say, London.

2. To load the full European maps onto your Nav V requires you to insert an SD card into the device. It doesn’t need to be huge, 8 gb will do. Just buy a new decent quality SD card on the internet, pop it in and reload the maps, Garmin Express will do the rest.

3. I am at a loss to understand why you cannot load the up to date maps onto your Mac. My only thought is that perhaps you are choosing to store them in a place where BaseCamp cannot find them?

I suggest that you get the full set of latest European maps loaded onto your Nav V. As your Mac will draw the full map across from the device each time you connect it, that - once you are sure they are there (remember, you need to see North and South) - will at least give you some breathing space.

Then go back to Garmin Express and ask it to download the new maps again, only this time chose to load them ONLY onto your Mac, checking where Garmin Express says it intends to install them to. In other words, check that you do not have BaseCamp installed in one place and the new maps installed in another. This installation should take much less time than loading the new maps onto your device.

When you get the sign from Garmin Express that the maps are on your Mac. Disconnect the Nav V, then close BaseCamp and Garmin Express. It wouldn’t hurt to restart your Mac at the same time.

Relaunch BaseCamp and go to the maps drop down box. Select the latest maps. All should then be good.

Use Garmin map manager to delete the old maps on your Mac.

Report back..... hopefully with confirmation that everything is OK.

Becksy,

I am not sure if this helps but here goes.

Having successfully installed the latest maps onto my iMac and onto three gps devices, I went to install the same latest maps onto my old MacBook Air. I got exactly the same error message as you show in post 50. I tried again, the same message.

I unhooked my gps device, closed Garmin Express and restarted my MacBook. I then reattached the gps device and waited for the MacBook to find it. I then launched Garmin Express, which told me that there was an update to Garmin Express available, so I downloaded and installed it. I then asked Garmin Express to update the map on the MacBook only, the updated map having already been installed to the gps device previously. The map update and installation on the MacBook is now going ahead.

It might be as simple as you needing to update Garmin Express? Have a go, you can't break it.

Upadte: It has installed perfectly.
Slight thread highjack.
I’m not sure your Macbook Air has a USB port but maybe you could do this using the cloud drive;

I do a normal install using my iMac. I get a lot of red error banners like Becksy because my broadband is crap but after about 5 days or so, I have the new maps on the mac and my device.
Obvs, I don't want to go through all that again for my Macbook so;

In Basecamp, Maps > Installed Maps Info > reveal in finder.
Look for the files that have the most recent (and the same) date i.e. the newly downloaded maps and the updated Unlock file.
Copy them to an 8GB usb stick.
Move to Macbook and reveal those maps in finder
Move the files from the USB stick into that folder.
BINGO

I can also put the maps on my wife's macbook using the same files but I find I have to do a full install to her Zumo in the normal way to have the maps properly installed on it under her LM “subscription”.

Hope that's useful to someone.

Back to the original problem, which is Becksy's routes give him a straight line, we can't go further until the 2021.1 maps are installed on the computer. There do seem to still be issues with Garmin's servers, I was updating few devices yesterday and had to retry a couple of times - however, I managed to download the full European mapping onto another Mac and also onto 2 Zumo 590's.

I'll make some screen shots.

FWIW, I think the Western Europe vs. all Europe is a red herring, I had subsets of maps on my devices for years with no problem - if Becksy doesn't go outside Western Europe he has no need to install the whole of Europe either on his Mac, or on his device

OK.

1. You do not have the full set of European maps loaded onto your Nav V. Had you had the full set installed, you would have been able to see Poland and Warsaw in as much intimate fine detail as say, London.

2. To load the full European maps onto your Nav V requires you to insert an SD card into the device. It doesn’t need to be huge, 8 gb will do. Just buy a new decent quality SD card on the internet, pop it in and reload the maps, Garmin Express will do the rest.

3. I am at a loss to understand why you cannot load the up to date maps onto your Mac. My only thought is that perhaps you are choosing to store them in a place where BaseCamp cannot find them?

I suggest that you get the full set of latest European maps loaded onto your Nav V. As your Mac will draw the full map across from the device each time you connect it, that - once you are sure they are there (remember, you need to see North and South) - will at least give you some breathing space.

Then go back to Garmin Express and ask it to download the new maps again, only this time chose to load them ONLY onto your Mac, checking where Garmin Express says it intends to install them to. In other words, check that you do not have BaseCamp installed in one place and the new maps installed in another. This installation should take much less time than loading the new maps onto your device.

When you get the sign from Garmin Express that the maps are on your Mac. Disconnect the Nav V, then close BaseCamp and Garmin Express. It wouldn’t hurt to restart your Mac at the same time.

Relaunch BaseCamp and go to the maps drop down box. Select the latest maps. All should then be good.

Use Garmin map manager to delete the old maps on your Mac.

Report back..... hopefully with confirmation that everything is OK.

Updating with Garmin Express (current version is 7.0.1.0)

Plug in and select device

Check the details page

Click Map Details and then Map Options

Click Install to Computer

Install maps

Here's the maps in basecamp - those on the device shown at left, and all the locations shown in the map manager

Here's some of the routes and tracks displayed in CN 2021.1, no recalculation needed

Garmin Express 7.0.2.0 for Windows apparently (according to Garmin) includes critical updates. Whether that means updates that are critical for its working or updates that are critical of its users isn't stated.

Garmin Express 7.0.2.0 for Windows apparently (according to Garmin) includes critical updates. Whether that means updates that are critical for its working or updates that are critical of its users isn't stated.

This is Mac, the version I quoted was downloaded today, but there do seem to be lots of GE updates released all of a flurry

I know that having only Western Europe is a bit of a red herring, I just wanted to make sure that at least Becksy had the whole of the latest maps installed correctly somewhere and that he understood he'd need an SD card.

The screen shots do indeed show the installation process onto a home computer, which Becksy says he's done (more than once) but the maps don't install, apparently. The as to why is the great unknown. I guess we can only wait until he's tried again.

:beerjug:

Yes, I just wanted to put something up as clearly there’s something going wrong when Becksy tries to install the maps.

I’ve noticed that the “map options” button doesn’t seem to work, and you have to go to “map details” to get to the installation page, wondered if that had something to do with it.

I know that having only Western Europe is a bit of a red herring, I just wanted to make sure that at least Becksy had the whole of the latest maps installed correctly somewhere and that he understood he'd need an SD card.

The screen shots do indeed show the installation process onto a home computer, which Becksy says he's done (more than once) but the maps don't install, apparently. The as to why is the great unknown. I guess we can only wait until he's tried again.

:beerjug:

I noticed that too on my Mac. I have no idea why the ‘map options’ button no longer functions and that you now have to go to ‘map details’. I am reasonably sure it used to work. Good to point it out to Becksy.

Yes, aware that the Map Options button isn't working and am using Map Details.

Anyway, interim update. I got a Micro SD card, I installed full maps to the Nav. And my Mac appears to be currently installing maps to Basecamp....:bounce1

Will let you know the outcome in a bit.

Update:-

It works!

City Navigator 2021.1 maps installed to Basecamp.
On my device I have the standard maps plus All North and All South. (I can see a detailed map of Warsaw).

I have been able to fiddle with a route using latest maps in Basecamp and it routes properly.

Thanks very much Wapping and Berin for all your help and others who have chipped in. God knows what the actual reason was, but getting the SD card and installing full maps seemed to do the trick.

(For some reason, it seems to be working more quickly as well, that may just be perception having had difficulties with it over the last few days...)

Excellent! It was probably as simple as the Garmin servers not working properly after their hack, but all’s well that ends well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom