Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Basecamp not routing

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    oops! Just noticed that Wapping has said the same thing.

One more thing, I did also import some routes from Kurviger, they also worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Berin View Post
    Not that it helps you, but I've just updated the maps to 2021.1 mapping, on 2 Zumo's (a 590 and a 595). Both installed fine. I also updated the maps on my computer (a Mac) to 2021.1, also all fine. I kept my older versions of maps too. I'm very pleased to say that with my new gigabit broadband it took about 5 minutes all in!

I've tried recalculating some old routes in Basecamp (made on who knows what maps) on the 2021.1 maps by opening the routes>details>info>recalculate, and they did, with some differences to the old routes based, I guess, on the new maps plus the parameters I had set which may be different to when I calculated them previously. To avoid losing the routes, I duplicated and renamed them "route1" etc. Prior to recalculation, they appeared correct on Basecamp.

I sent a new route, made on my freshly minted 2021.1 maps to both my devices, I imported them and they both look the same as the they did in Basecamp. I also sent some routes made on earlier versions of the maps to the devices, and on recalculation there were some differences - but Garmin always does this unless you add the waypoints or shaping points to take you exactly where you want to go.

It does suggest there is something amiss at your end, rather than Garmin, (although obvs. Garmin is shite, etc.etc.).

If you want to persevere, perhaps you could post up some screen shots - for example, of the device connected to Garmin Express, and the prompts you get, and also the device connected to Basecamp so we can see what maps it shows there. Also, perhaps look on the unit and tell us what maps the unit tells you it has (settings>map and vehicle>scroll down>my maps) -it should have 4 entries along the lines of:

CN NTU 2021.10 All South
    CN NTU 2021.10 All North
    Europe DEM

All should be ticked

Perhaps also, on the device go settings>navigation and tell us what it says there.

And as others have said, put one of your GPX files somewhere where we can get it, or email it, so we can take a look to see what happens on our systems - maybe the route itself got corrupted

Not that it helps you, but I've just updated the maps to 2021.1 mapping, on 2 Zumo's (a 590 and a 595). Both installed fine. I also updated the maps on my computer (a Mac) to 2021.1, also all fine. I kept my older versions of maps too. I'm very pleased to say that with my new gigabit broadband it took about 5 minutes all in!

I've tried recalculating some old routes in Basecamp (made on who knows what maps) on the 2021.1 maps by opening the routes>details>info>recalculate, and they did, with some differences to the old routes based, I guess, on the new maps plus the parameters I had set which may be different to when I calculated them previously. To avoid losing the routes, I duplicated and renamed them "route1" etc. Prior to recalculation, they appeared correct on Basecamp.

I sent a new route, made on my freshly minted 2021.1 maps to both my devices, I imported them and they both look the same as the they did in Basecamp. I also sent some routes made on earlier versions of the maps to the devices, and on recalculation there were some differences - but Garmin always does this unless you add the waypoints or shaping points to take you exactly where you want to go.

It does suggest there is something amiss at your end, rather than Garmin, (although obvs. Garmin is shite, etc.etc.).

If you want to persevere, perhaps you could post up some screen shots - for example, of the device connected to Garmin Express, and the prompts you get, and also the device connected to Basecamp so we can see what maps it shows there. Also, perhaps look on the unit and tell us what maps the unit tells you it has (settings>map and vehicle>scroll down>my maps) -it should have 4 entries along the lines of:

CN NTU 2021.10 All South
    CN NTU 2021.10 All North
    Europe DEM

All should be ticked

Perhaps also, on the device go settings>navigation and tell us what it says there.

And as others have said, put one of your GPX files somewhere where we can get it, or email it, so we can take a look to see what happens on our systems - maybe the route itself got corrupted
    Hello Berin
    Thanks for the questions. I have attached below screenshots that showing the Express error message and a shot of Basecamp that shows the maps (the 2021.10 maps are on the Nav, not in Basecamp).

On the unit I have installed and ticked:-
    Europe DEM
    CN Europe NTU 2021.10 Basic 3D
    CN Europe NTU 2021.10 Western Europe

Navigation settings are:
    Calculation Time - Faster
    Off Route Calculation - Prompted
    Avoidances - Motorways, Unpaved Roads
    Custom Avoidances - None
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Becksy,

I am not sure if this helps but here goes.

Having successfully installed the latest maps onto my iMac and onto three gps devices, I went to install the same latest maps onto my old MacBook Air. I got exactly the same error message as you show in post 50. I tried again, the same message.

I unhooked my gps device, closed Garmin Express and restarted my MacBook. I then reattached the gps device and waited for the MacBook to find it. I then launched Garmin Express, which told me that there was an update to Garmin Express available, so I downloaded and installed it. I then asked Garmin Express to update the map on the MacBook only, the updated map having already been installed to the gps device previously. The map update and installation on the MacBook is now going ahead.

It might be as simple as you needing to update Garmin Express? Have a go, you can't break it.

Upadte: It has installed perfectly.

Will give that a whirl, though have reinstalled Express twice.

I got the same error, though it did ask me to update Express to version 7.0.1.0. When I reinstalled Thursday (I think) it was version 7.0.0.0 that was dowloaded from Garmin.

Now I am trying a new approach. I have gone into Express into the change maps option, and selected Western Europe (i.e. what is already on the device), but this time checked the option box at the bottom which should do a concurrent install on Basecamp and the device.

It was doing the Garmin Express update (I see them quite regularly on my Mac) that maybe made the difference. I didn't reinstall Garmin Express. There again, it might simply have been the shutting down and rebooting that did it. Whatever it was, the error message went away and the latest maps installed without any problems. All that left me to do was delete the old maps, using Garmin Mapmanager.

Quote Originally Posted by Becksy View Post
    Now I am trying a new approach. I have gone into Express into the change maps option, and selected Western Europe (i.e. what is already on the device), but this time checked the option box at the bottom which should do a concurrent install on Basecamp and the device.
    My new approach hasn't worked. No error message that I could see. Have tried reinstalling to latest maps to Basecamp separately and I get the same error message as reported above. It can only be Basecamp causing the problem.

But at this point Basecamp doesn’t come into it, as the failure is occurring when you try to update the maps.

Looks like the latest map did install on Basecamp as it shows on your screenshot,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But at this point Basecamp doesn’t come into it, as the failure is occurring when you try to update the maps.

Looks like the latest map did install on Basecamp as it shows on your screenshot,

But it’s weird that on your device it only says Western Europe 2021.1 is installed.

Current European Garmin maps are installed in 2 parts as they are over the 4gb file limit imposed the operating system and so appear in 2 parts on the device - in use they act as one map - called North and South.

Could you do another screen shot in Express, with the Map options expanded please?

You could download Javawa Device Manager if you’re using Windows, and then use that to tell you what the map coverage is on your device

That latest map is on my device.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But it’s weird that on your device it only says Western Europe 2021.1 is installed.

Current European Garmin maps are installed in 2 parts as they are over the 4gb file limit imposed the operating system and so appear in 2 parts on the device - in use they act as one map - called North and South.

Could you do another screen shot in Express, with the Map options expanded please?

You could download Javawa Device Manager if you’re using Windows, and then use that to tell you what the map coverage is on your device
    Hi Berin, see here. I am using a Mac.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Hello,

On a Mac and with a Nav V, both running the latest maps, you should see:

A. Nav V

CN Europe NTU - 2021.10 ALL South

CN Europe NTU - 2021.10 ALL North

CM Europe NTU - 2012.10 Basic 3D

B. Mac

Using Garmin Map Manager

Name: City Navigator Europe NTU 2021.1
    Version: 241.0
    Installed Location: Wherever it is you install Gamin maps to

From your screen shot in post 58, it possibly suggests to me that you do not have an SD card loaded into your Nav V or that it is maybe full. If you do not, Garmin Express can only load a small portion of the full European map set. You have ticked Western Europe, which (I think) is only a part of the region in the blue map. If I am correct it maybe explains the words.... 'Chose a region to replace....'

Do you have an SD card in your Nav V and, if so, what does it have on it?

European Map Regions

If your device came preloaded with maps of Europe, Garmin Express may prompt you to install a smaller regional map to your device during a map update.

It is recommended to use a compatible SD card when installing the maps to your device to receive the largest map region possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    Hello,

On a Mac and with a Nav V, both running the latest maps, you should see:

A. Nav V

CN Europe NTU - 2021.10 ALL South

CN Europe NTU - 2021.10 ALL North

CM Europe NTU - 2012.10 Basic 3D

B. Mac

Using Garmin Map Manager

Name: City Navigator Europe NTU 2021.1
    Version: 241.0
    Installed Location: Wherever it is you install Gamin maps to

From your screen shot in post 58, it possibly suggests to me that you do not have an SD card loaded into your Nav V or that it is maybe full. If you do not, Garmin Express can only load a small portion of the full European map set. You have ticked Western Europe, which (I think) is only a part of the region in the blue map. If I am correct it maybe explains the words.... 'Chose a region to replace....'

Do you have an SD card in your Nav V and, if so, what does it have on it?
    True, Wapping, looks like only a subset of the maps on the device, hence why I asked Becky to check - but that shouldn’t stop it working, except if the routes that show as straight lines are in a region that’s not present, nor should it stop maps reloading

True, Wapping, looks like only a subset of the maps on the device, hence why I asked Becky to check - but that shouldn’t stop it working, except if the routes that show as straight lines are in a region that’s not present, nor should it stop maps reloading

Also, reading back, Becksy still can’t install maps to the computer!

So we are back to square one, sadly.

Becksy, apologies if you’ve answered this before, but do your straight lines on the routes still appear, in Basecamp, on the Mac, but using the maps from your device?

And, if you send a route to the device, then import it, does it route correctly or give straight lines?

I agree, though I am not yet convinced that he has anything more than 'Western Europe' installed on his device, see the comment in post 50:

On the unit I have installed and ticked:-
    Europe DEM
    CN Europe NTU 2021.10 Basic 3D
    CN Europe NTU 2021.10 Western Europe
    In the same post 50, there is also a screen shot of his Mac, showing the maps. It lists City Navigator NTU 2018.3 and City Navigator NTU 2021.1 as being available for use. However, 2018.3 is shown as ticked, ie 2018.3 is the map that was active when the screen shot shot was taken.

Becksy, if you can tell us please:

1. If you have an SD card in your Nav V and (if you do) its size and what's on it, including how much spare space it has got left

2. Precisely what maps you have installed on your Nav V, see post 59

3. Without the Nav V connected, by using Garmin Map Manager, precisely what maps you have installed on your Mac, see post 59

4. Without the Nav V connected, a screen shot like that in post 50, showing the maps dropdown box and the installed maps

5. Without the Nav V connected, what response you get when you click on the maps drop down box and select 'Installed maps Info'

6. On your Nav V only (ie without it being connected to the Mac) can you scroll the map on the screen across to say Berlin or Helsinki, please. Then zoom right in. Can you see the detailed small roads in the city?

7. Without the Nav V connected to your Mac, can you go to the maps drop down box, click on it and select NTU 2021.1 please. Zoom in. Do you see detailed maps for the whole of Europe, anywhere and everywhere from Rome to Oslo and Berlin to Lisbon via London and Prague?

Good screen shots of the answers to the above would assist too.

Apologies in advance for the seven questions but helping people remotely is sometimes not the easiest of tasks. This challenge is made harder sometimes when the device is connected to the home computer as it drags maps across, meaning that it is sometimes (from screen shots alone) difficult to tell exactly what we are looking at.

My honest thoughts at the moment are:

1. You only have 'Western Europe' on your Nav V, not the full set of 2021.1 maps

2. That the red error message you saw, maybe relates not to an attempted installation your Mac but but to the Nav V

3. That you maybe have the full set of 2021.1 maps on your Mac but that they are not yet active or, that they are only 'Western Europe'. In post 7 of this separate thread, you seemed to think that the latest maps were installed and active on your Mac https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...ll-Maps-to-Mac therefore I am confused as to why they are not there now

We'll get there in the end.... I hope.

“Apologies in advance for the seven questions but helping people remotely is sometimes not the easiest of tasks. This challenge is made harder sometimes when the device is connected to the home computer as it drags maps across, meaning that it is sometimes (from screen shots alone) difficult to tell exactly what we are looking at. “

Wapping, I think there are no 2021.1 maps at all on the Mac. Becksy’s screen shot above which shows 2021.1 maps on the Mac in the maps drop down shows maps on the device, not on the Mac - Becksy has confirmed this already in one of the posts (can’t see which post number)

I agree. Though I suspect that he only has Western Europe (not the full set) on his device which is maybe where at least a part of the confusion is coming from. Leaving that aside, I am simply trying through the questions to establish what maps (if any and to what scope) he does have loaded and active:

A. On his device

B. On his Mac

By disconnecting one from the other, to prevent maps leaking across, we’ll hopefully find out exactly. Then, as I have a Mac and a Nav V (both of which have the latest maps loaded) with the answers, we’ll be able to compare his with mine and (hopefully) go from there.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast