If I had about £7k... 2013 DOHC or WC 2014?

gabriel_gs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So, I’m after an RT and budget is fluid between £6k-ish and £7k-ish.

There are obviously some nice 2013 (last model) DOHC models to be had, but I’m finding there’s a few 2014 WC models around that price too... to my surprise.

My logic would suggest that the 2013 would be the ‘most sorted’ of the pre-WC models and I’d get a cracker with few issues to worry about for my money.

But what about the 2014? Are there teething issues to consider, or if I can afford one, are they that much better, issues few and far between and so a better investment?

Thoughts?

LC - though will be higher miles at that money ..... loads more torque. Test drive back to back (ish), will decide it for you.

I should clarify...

I’ve owned a 2006, 2008 and a 2018 RT so am well aware of the performance differences between the models (not owned a DOHC one) and I know the LC is more powerful and I’d prefer the tech of the LC too, but I don’t want to worry about ‘new model’ teething issues.

I have an eye on 2/3 LC models with sub 30k miles, so it’s tempting

But, is there something to be said about a good 2012 or 2013 being a better ‘no issues’ option? Ie, it’s the final ‘most sorted’ model?

I think it comes down to personal taste, I've had 2 TC RT's, still got the late 2013 one, I had a WC GS for 2 months before trading it back in for another TC. I like the simplicity of the TC engine, my first TC RT had nearly 70k on it when I traded it in, never missed a beat, couple of tyre pressure sensor issues and that was it, home serviced twice a year (all fluids), only went to the dealer for brake fluid changes and never had the valves touched (I had it from 21k to just under 70k). Never ever let me down, ever!

I did however have a drive issue with the WC ended up with a new drive shaft due to knocking that never went away, the cruise control kept turning itself off at will and the fuel gauge took forever to tell me I'd used any fuel, got rid quickly and was happy to lose money on it.

For my money, late TC trumps an early WC every day, but it's a personal thing based on my experience.

I think it comes down to personal taste, I've had 2 TC RT's, still got the late 2013 one, I had a WC GS for 2 months before trading it back in for another TC. I like the simplicity of the TC engine, my first TC RT had nearly 70k on it when I traded it in, never missed a beat, couple of tyre pressure sensor issues and that was it, home serviced twice a year (all fluids), only went to the dealer for brake fluid changes and never had the valves touched (I had it from 21k to just under 70k). Never ever let me down, ever!

I did however have a drive issue with the WC ended up with a new drive shaft due to knocking that never went away, the cruise control kept turning itself off at will and the fuel gauge took forever to tell me I'd used any fuel, got rid quickly and was happy to lose money on it.

For my money, late TC trumps an early WC every day, but it's a personal thing based on my experience.

What he said. The TC is/was a well sorted engine/gearbox combo. Some of the early LC models had gearboxes that can only be described as atrocious. If you're tempted with the latter, do make sure you have a good test ride. I eventually P/Ex'd an otherwise lovely 2016 LC model because i genuinely thought that sooner or later the 'box would either explode or lock solid. The 1250RT that replaced it is however a delight.

Thanks folks - you’re all backing up what I think I already suspected

Thanks for the advice

I've an early 2014 LC. I'd had a 2011 TC before that. Still got the LC and I am basically happy with it but the one feature that annoys the sh1t out of me is the gearbox. That BMW could issue a new bike with a gearbox that was far worse than the old model! Test rides will decide it for you but I would be airing towards a 2013 if it were me.

Deposit paid on a beautiful 2013 TC.

Literally ALL the toys, low miles and great condition. Happy as a clam.

Good choice! :thumb2 I had the same quandary when my early RT was written off last month....should I go for an LC over the model I knew (and loved....)?

I bought this, one owner, '13-plate, 8k miles from new SE, with the comfort seat.....I love it! :D

Pete

Attachments

• d556c178959f469a9f563df0638e7169(2).jpg
    d556c178959f469a9f563df0638e7169(2).jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 157
That’s exactly the same as the bike I’ve just bought! :)

2013, same blue, same colour-matched topbox like yours, 18k miles and every toy (including radio).

It’s from a BMW dealer too, so will have its 18k service and comes with 2 years warranty

Could not be happier :)

Back
Top Bottom