Any Gaelic speakers about please?

Tommy Gunn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've used Google translate which I know can be a bit erratic, can someone who knows Gaelic well please confirm what
"Ní bhaineann mé anseo. Ní bhainim áit ar bith." means?
Thank you in advance.

First thing to note is that Irish often doesn't translate literally into English. I reckon it means "I don't belong here, I don't belong anywhere."
I'm sure others will be along soon with their interpretations.

TK.

First thing to note is that Irish often doesn't translate literally into English. I reckon it means "I don't belong here, I don't belong anywhere."

TK.
That’s a fair good translation. Well done Thermo.

TK.
Bang on the money. I reckon the Hoof taught Irish to you.

TK.

Thanx. That's what I wanted it to say

Getting a new tattoo? :D

Maybe. :thumb

Thanx all once again for your input & help. :thumb2

Sometimes if you translate something literally from English to Irish it comes out wrong in tone. This is called béarlachas. TK put it perfectly.

Sometimes if you translate something literally from English to Irish it comes out wrong in tone. This is called béarlachas. TK put it perfectly.

Trying to learn Irish with Duolingo at the moment, “béarlachas” sums up my efforts so far, perfectly!!:blast:blast

Trying to learn Irish with Duolingo at the moment, “béarlachas” sums up my efforts so far, perfectly!!:blast:blast

Listen to Raidio na Gaeltachta. Best thing you can do for learning Irish. You’ll assimilate it.

Listen to Raidio na Gaeltachta. Best thing you can do for learning Irish. You’ll assimilate it.

Good suggestion, pronunciation is a real struggle so I’ll try it. A little advanced for me at the moment but quite like the music anyway, go raibh maith agat!

Shouldn't the first instance of the verb be "bhainim" also?
"Ní bhainim anseo. Ní bhainim áit ar bith."

BTW. Top marks for getting the fadas right - the accents.

[edit] Seems the -eann suffix is only 2nd, 3rd person. But I'm no expert!

Shouldn't the first instance of the verb be "bhainim" also?
"Ní bhainim anseo. Ní bhainim áit ar bith."

BTW. Top marks for getting the fadas right - the accents.

[edit] Seems the -eann suffix is only 2nd, 3rd person. But I'm no expert!

Thanks. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom