How to spot servo-assisted ABS brakes from photos? 1150GS

neily

Reaction score
Is it possible to tell from a sellers pics if a bike has servo assisted brakes or not?

My old 00 GS was non ABS so I've no idea what I should be looking out for on a 03 model, want to avoid servo-assisted after reading up about the issues thay can have.

Cheers

Ask the vendor if it's got servos! If they're not sure, tell them to pull on the front brake and listen for the whine of the servo! Or put a wanted ad on here. One will turn up.

If it has EVO brakes (larger diameter discs and BMW-stamped callipers) and ABS (look for the ABS ring), it has assisted braking. Only the pre-2002 GS's (with smaller discs and Brembo callipers) may have ABS without assistance.

If it has EVO brakes (larger diameter discs and BMW-stamped callipers) and ABS (look for the ABS ring), it has assisted braking. Only the pre-2002 GS's (with smaller discs and Brembo callipers) may have ABS without assistance.

Unless the Servo/ABS has been removed. Likely to still have OEM discs & calipers. & possibly the abs ring - I’ve removed mine, not everyone does.

Best to ask the vendor per post #02

I always look to see if the back brake hose is connected direct to the master cylinder.

I would not be put off by servo brake setup as long as it has a service history, I think a seldom used bike might be the worst option but my 05 never gave any problems.

Worst case if it fails is you do a servoectomy....

Incorrect - some early 2002 (single-spark) bikes have BMW stamped calipers and non-servo ABS. Twin-sparks were all servo ABS if fitted.

Is it possible to tell from a sellers pics if a bike has servo assisted brakes or not?

My old 00 GS was non ABS so I've no idea what I should be looking out for on a 03 model, want to avoid servo-assisted after reading up about the issues thay can have.

Cheers
Just buy the bike you like. You can remove the servo abs if you need to. There’s no point in restricting your choice. JJH

Incorrect - some early 2002 (single-spark) bikes have BMW stamped calipers and non-servo ABS. Twin-sparks were all servo ABS if fitted.

And here's the proof, My single spark ABS non servo with BMW calipers. The best version of course :D

FmwQA14.jpg

Cheers

I know there’s a lot of talk about the reliability of the servos on the 1150s but I wanted a bike as close to factory as possible and found an 03 plate (02 year) bike with ABS and the servo still in place.

Made sure it had a good service history with brake fluid flushed every year which I’ve continued. Got it at 42K and 3 years later with 60k on the clock I’ve not had a single issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know there’s a lot of talk about the reliability of the servos on the 1150s but I wanted a bike as close to factory as possible and found an 03 plate (02 year) bike with ABS and the servo still in place.

Made sure it had a good service history with brake fluid flushed every year which I’ve continued. Got it at 42K and 3 years later with 60k on the clock I’ve not had a single issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While the majority say that adherence to the brake fluid change schedule others will say that causes malfunction. Stressing that I’ve no personal experience except a failure on my rt many years ago. Not nice. I forget if it was an 1150 or 1200. JJH

For a visual from photos etc I believe the Non servo have a cast ABS ring on the front and the Servo ones have a pressed tin/metal ring. I stand to be corrected though:augie Cheers:beerjug:John B

I used to change all the brake fluid every year to help protect the servo. Didn't work! It went tits up. Have now done the servoectomy and feel much more confident that the brakes will work every time, just not with ABS. Feel at the lever is much better, power of the brakes is still great, and the rear is even better.

The disadvantage of the servoectomy is losing the ABS.
I've been wondering could the ABS system from an older, pre-servo model be fitted, without too many complications to a servoectomied later model.

Been meaning to cross-ref some components on realoem out of curiosity.

The disadvantage of the servoectomy is losing the ABS.
I've been wondering could the ABS system from an older, pre-servo model be fitted, without too many complications to a servoectomied later model.

Been meaning to cross-ref some components on realoem out of curiosity.

I did it, even mapped out the wiring. There are so many things different between the models that It would be a mammoth task. Even the front wheels are different, because the ABS rings are different. On the servo the ABS ring is pressed metal and locates to the same mounting points as the left disc. On earlier ABS models the ABS ring is cast and has it’s own mounting points on the wheel hub. Whether you could get away without changing the ABS ring would depend on the number of teeth, and whether the sensor would give the computer the correct information........all very subjective, requiring experimenting.

:nenau

Servo ABS have a pressed anodised ABS ring

Were only fitted on Twin Spark R models from 2003 on

ABS II will flash 2 rectangular lamps on and off together (provided there are no stored/current fault codes)

Servo ABS? one lamp will blink rapidly several times and settle into a slower on off blink while the other stays lit until it sees wheel speed signals

I would not be put off by servo brake setup as long as it has a service history, I think a seldom used bike might be the worst option but my 05 never gave any problems.

Worst case if it fails is you do a servoectomy....

Provided it doesn't fail at an inopportune moment and you survive the failure. Imagine it failing on approach to roundabout with juggernaut coming from the right.... it has happened, and other similar type of scenarios. Mine failed going down a mountain road in Wales where I came round the bedn and there was a man with a lollipop saying STOP - I couldn't and there men and cones and shovels going in all directions and the traffic coming up the hill were most indignant too.... I survived it, white as a sheet. If it goes, it can go with no warning whatsoever. It can be working on one bend and fail on the next... it was removed and I never felt any the worse off for not having it. The weight saving is immense, the motor unit weighs about 8kgs.

Back
Top Bottom