New Chain

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Looking at a new chain for the 800GSA. As I'm just returning to this wonderful world of chain drive so I'm not sure what is top of the tree at the moment.

What's best out there folks?

Can’t go far wrong with DID.
I use the 525 VX, got 35,000 miles on last one with a bit of TLC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, DID X ring :thumb2

I keep mine clean(ish) and an oily rag over it once in a while to keep the rust at bay. Very occasionally it gets a very small amount of chain lube, just enough to lube the sprockets.

150bhp of 1190 KTM and I got 18,000 miles out of the last one which is pretty respectable in my book.

Andres

As above, DID Gold X Ring. I always get one fitted to my bike at PDI, as the stock chains are shite.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This :thumby:

:beerjug:

DID Gold Professional :thumb

i-ZXH2pMd-L.jpg

:beerjug:

It's all a bit glib saying 'DID X-ring'!

Which one?

DID make at least 6 different X-ring chains. What do you want? Strength? Good wear rate? Lightness? Price?

I'd probably go for a ZVM-X - but it won't tick many boxes on price.

Motoworks chain and sprocket set. £119 for standard x-ring, £124 for a heavy duty x-ring. Don’t know if they are DID or not but the last set I had last 30,000+ miles.

Which one?

DID make at least 6 different X-ring chains. What do you want? Strength? Good wear rate? Lightness? Price?

I’d agree with that model - and still cheaper than a BMW OEM chain!

Can't remember which DiD chain I bought but it was a heavy duty one. Fitted it June 2018 and I do about 10K miles a year commuting on it. Very little adjustment needed and still plenty of life left in it and also the sprockets that I got with it. Would I buy another - yes.
Keep away from the BMW OEM ones (which I was told are DiD) as they just stretch like elastic.

Joe

Which one?

That’s the one I’ve got on mine. :thumb

Keep away from the BMW OEM ones (which I was told are DiD) as they just stretch like elastic.

Joe

I'm at 9,000 miles and the OEM chain is stretched already. DID it is and I look for longevity because I'll be doing 15k miles plus per year.

Can't remember which DiD chain I bought but it was a heavy duty one. Fitted it June 2018 and I do about 10K miles a year commuting on it. Very little adjustment needed and still plenty of life left in it and also the sprockets that I got with it. Would I buy another - yes.

Joe

Joe when I bought my 09 F650GS they were fitted with CZ chains, not CZ bikes but likely Czechoslovakian manufacture. They would stretch so fast some bikes were snapping chains at 1200 miles. Failures varied from , whoosh the chain shoots out behind , through to crunch!

It was subject to a bike recall, I voted with my feet and declined BM fitting one of their own, and went down the X ring DID route. Never regretted it.

I'm at 9,000 miles and the OEM chain is stretched already. DID it is and I look for longevity because I'll be doing 15k miles plus per year.

The more you adjust the more it will stretch of course

I have found minimal adjustment is the key along with an Anal chain lubing regime

However back to the original question and DID X ring is the answer but the heavier duty the greater the power sap IIRC so don't go over heavy or heavier than absolutely necessary

Have a word with "the chain man" not far from you. He sells iwis German chain very good quality. See what he recommends.

Back
Top Bottom