Insurance costs - calling Wapping

stever1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've recently been looking for insurance for a Goldwing and its HORRIFFIC !!!!!!!!!. Cheapest quote is £808 with a £900 excess. Even though i have 9+ years NCB, had my licence forever and continually covered by insurance for 14 years I don't live in a particularly bad area. I'm stunned at the prices i've seen and don't understand why its so expensive. BTW, I pay £100.70 to comprehensively insure my 1250 GS.

Can anyone explain this ?

Is it the value of the bike by chance? I've seen that mentioned in passing as a differentiator in previous dispatches.

Is it the value of the bike by chance? I've seen that mentioned in passing as a differentiator in previous dispatches.

Possibly, several companies won't quote for bikes over 20k, but to say its eight times more expensive than my GS is astounding. Incidentally, I had a deal worked out with my dealer and was happy to buy the bike but not if the insurance is that bad

Possibly, several companies won't quote for bikes over 20k, but to say its eight times more expensive than my GS is astounding. Incidentally, I had a deal worked out with my dealer and was happy to buy the bike but not if the insurance is that bad

Absolutely. It doesn't make a great deal of sense, but it does seem to be a driver.
Footnote: If the baddies can lift a Goldwing, they can bloody well have it and to dispose of it after the hernia surgery :D

Motorbike insurance is going up for lots of people. See several threads. Time to shop around hard. See several threads.

The eight times number can possibly be explained in several ways. Here are some illustrative examples:

1. Your current insurer may favour BMW GS motorbikes over other brands and types, discounting their prices accordingly.

2. Your current premium for your GS might be close on a year old. If the renewal price for your GS doubles when it renews, the price difference will halve, from eight times to four times.

3. Possibly your current insurer will only accept BMW branded motorcycles under the particular branded scheme (for instance, BMW Motorrad) and is unable to include any other make. This forces you to buy an additional policy, to which no NCB can be applied, which simply costs more, being eight times. In effect, this is the same as point 1.

4. Many insurers have apparently put warning markers on their records vis-a-vis bikes with a declared value greater than £20,000 (some at £15,000) or when the accumulated values of two or more bikes is greater than £20,000. I had this problem in that my new 1600 had on its own a value of more than £20,000 along with it being garaged in a London E1 post code, with an HP4, a MegaMoto, an HP2 Sport. Yes, I can only ride one at a time, but at some point all four are sitting there, whilst three will be sitting there whilst I am out hooning the third.

5. The simple truth is expensive bikes are being pinched. The reasons as to why and by whom will vary. In parallel, bikes of all sorts and values are being crashed, written off / repaired and or nicked, to never be recovered. Again, the reasons for this will vary. It is costing lots to pay the claims.

6. Insurers chased market share, which drove insurance premiums down, to extraordinarily low levels. At some point, simple economics takes over: Cash in is considerably less than cash out. The insurer(s) put up prices or simply say, “We are not going to do it any more” or they go bust. Either way, prices rise.

If you want your new bike badly enough, you’ll find the premium, even if it means selling your GS to pay for it. I sold three motorbikes in order to create a cash pot to fund the insurance and servicing cost of one bike and three ‘sports’ cars for maybe 10 years, by when I will be in my early 70’s.... when I’ll probably think, “Feck it, can I really be arsed with cars X, Y and Z and a bloody motorbike ?”, when I’ll get rid of them, for whatever they are worth. That is the hard economics - and realism - of life.

If you don’t want the new bike that badly or cannot justify / afford the cost of ownership, then you’ll not buy it. That too is the hard economics - and realism - of life.

The eight times number can possibly be explained in several ways.

1. The current insurer may favour BMW GS motorbikes over other brands and types, discounting their prices accordingly.

2. Your current premium for your GS might be close on a year old. If the renewal price for your GS doubles when it renews, the price difference will halve, from eight times to four times.

3. Possibly your current insurer will only accept BMW branded motorcycles under the particular branded scheme (for instance, BMW Motorrad) and is unable to include any other make. This forces you to buy an additional policy, to which no NCB can be applied, which simply costs more, being eight times. In effect, this is the same as point 1.

4. Many insurers have apparently put warning markers on their records vis-a-vis bikes with a declared value greater than £20,000 (some at £15,000) or when the accumulated values of two or more bikes is greater than £20,000. I had this problem in that my new 1600 had on its own a value of more than £20,000 along with it being garaged in a London E1 post code, with an HP4, a MegaMoto, an HP2 Sport. Yes, I can only ride one at a time, but at some point all four are sitting there, whilst three will be sitting there whilst I am out hooning the third.

5. The simple truth is expensive bikes are being pinched. The reasons as to why and by whom will vary. In parallel, bikes of all sorts and values are being crashed, written off / repaired and or nicked, to never be recovered. Again, the reasons for this will vary. It is costing lots to pay the claims.

6. Insurers chased market share, which drove insurance premiums down, to extraordinarily low levels. At some point, simple economics takes over: Cash in is considerably less than cash out. The insurer(s) put up prices or simply say, “We are not going to do it any more” or they go bust.

If you want your new bike bad enough, you’ll find the premium, even if it means selling your GS to pay for it.

I sold three motorbikes in order to create a cash pot to fund the insurance and servicing cost of one bike and three ‘sports’ cars for maybe 10 years, by when I will be in my early 70’s.... when I’ll probably think, “Feck it, can I really be arsed with cars X, Y and Z?”, when I’ll get rid of them, for whatever they are worth. That is the hard economics of life.

If you don’t want it that badly or cannot justify / afford the cost of ownership, then you’ll not buy it. That too is the hard economics of life.

Interesting and comprehensive answer - thank you. Incidentally, I've only just renewed my current insurance this month, with a none specific brand. I would also be taking my NCB with me as the GS would have to go to fund the new one. Its looking like I'll be keeping the GS for now if its silly money to insure a wing.

Thanks.

You have probably made a good decision. At some point in the future things may well swing back in your favour. Then the economics (or just your burning desire) will make the ownership of a second vehicle possible.

Back
Top Bottom