wet feet

Not sure I agree with any of that. Design to flaw??? Which jap bikes you taking about? Fully fared obviously?! Lol

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

There are quite a few design flaws and most components are built to fail according to mister botus.
I sometimes wonder why he has a GS at all.

... and most components are built to fail according to mister botus.

Mine 2010 Adv has clocked over 100,000 miles and apart from one or two parts it's really only needed consumables. Though it is starting to show its age and may need more parts changed out in the near future.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Which jap bikes you taking about? Fully fared obviously?! Lol

no, I'm talking just about the unique way BMW created a way for water that should do straight under the engine ( never to get near the rider ) magically gets directed straight on your feet and shins - no other bike can manage it (aside from maybe the Yamaha Niken)

Mine 2010 Adv has clocked over 100,000 miles and apart from one or two parts it's really only needed consumables. Though it is starting to show its age and may need more parts changed out in the near future.

Same with mine. Though I've just had to replace the fuel pump and fuel pump controller after 107.000 miles. Not fit for purpose.
:green gri

Perhaps drill a small hole in each rocker cover this will allow a small amount of oil to spray on to your lower trousers and boots helping to keep them waterproof, I know this but did'nt need a drill to find out. Seriously I have 2 pairs of boots that are said to be waterproof and I know that one pair will go all day riding in the rain the make has not been mentioned here, my sidi adventures are at least half a day, but dont remember doing a full day to know. I ride all year in all weathers and suffer from cold feet so boots are critical kit to me, and I have I think 5 pairs on the go at the moment, as a dirt rider in MX boots I did not like sealskinz though others swear by them,I dont ride dirt in the cold anymore, dont care about wet feet then in MX boots.Boots you get what you pay for it seems. As I understand the waterproof (Gortex) layer is a layer integral to the inside of the boot hard to see what you can do to maintain it, I do put a bit of dubbing on mine now and again but that is really for the leather. Engine design really dont know what to say about that other than mine takes me forward, occasionally tips me over and has being doing so for 140k , other engines and bikes used to get me wet in the rain when I had shit kit. Do Wally flaps actually help with weather protection cold/rain/trail use or anything else answers from someone who has used them please. Botus your a brave guy.

These comments on Goretex boots do really surprise me, it may well be the latest manufacturing built-in obsolesces, but still they should last a few years without drama.
I have only had one pair of motorbike boots so far, 11-year-old Sidi B2's and I've not once had wet feet and I ride whatever the weather.

I used to come home from work in the winter and hose off my kit with a hosepipe to remove salt deposits etc, my boots have never really been cleaned externally either but have not once let a drop of water in.

I was going to replace my Sidi's for adventures soon but perhaps.... I'll wait.

My experience is that in wet weather water and muck is thrown up the backs of my legs and boots.

I agree with Botus that this is not an issue with other bikes I’ve owned naked or faired. So is one of the many quirks of GS ownership that we love!

I have decent Goretex kit (Daniele and Daytona) but have found water gets in eventually around the heel.

It is annoying but for the most part I can live with it and if I know I’m riding a distance in heavy rain I take suitable precautions!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no, I'm talking just about the unique way BMW created a way for water that should do straight under the engine ( never to get near the rider ) magically gets directed straight on your feet and shins - no other bike can manage it (aside from maybe the Yamaha Niken)
Ok. I see what you mean. But I have to say, my experience is different. By which I mean the combination of goretex boots and goretex lined trousers over the top, I've never really noticed this as an issue - never noticed at all to be precise. Mine has a mudsling on the back which may eliminate stuff getting onto the backk of my legs? Dunno?

incredible,

so many of you don't think its a howling design flaw?
I find that incredulous.... ride a Japanese bike and it would take 7 hours to get as wet and miserable as 10 minutes on the GS

I'm on my 5th GS, ride all year and can't say its a problem, I just wear waterproof boots when its raining. What precisely is the 'design flaw'?

covering your boot in unnecessary levels of water wears them out prematurely, I'd rather have a understanding of how it happens so I can work on a solution to reduce it

with the state of UK roads, when wet I find I mostly need to be looking where I'm going, rather than working on acute analysis of fluid dynamics and BMW's engineering prowess.

I guess three areas of fun

water from the mudguard pouring off around the fork slider
draining off the tank bodywork and dripping on to your knee / upper shin, designed exclusively to be a nuisance
but somehow is the level of water (greater than the high rain fall periods off Niagara falls) that comes off the bottom of the front tyre that seems to do most of "the magic"

covering your boot in unnecessary levels of water wears them out prematurely, I'd rather have a understanding of how it happens so I can work on a solution to reduce it

with the state of UK roads, when wet I find I mostly need to be looking where I'm going, rather than working on acute analysis of fluid dynamics and BMW's engineering prowess.

I guess three areas of fun

water from the mudguard pouring off around the fork slider
draining off the tank bodywork and dripping on to your knee / upper shin, designed exclusively to be a nuisance
but somehow is the level of water (greater than the high rain fall periods off Niagara falls) that comes off the bottom of the front tyre that seems to do most of "the magic"
Which model are you riding? I never asked. Do you use a mud guard extender?

Maybe it’s a problem with the gsa? My gs seems fine..no worse than any other bike I’ve had.

Wish I had the same faith in goretex boots that some of you guys have.
Had various goretex boots from Hein Gericke, Daytona and Sidi over the last 15 years and none lasted more than a year as fully waterproof, my last set of Sidi Adventures were replaced under warranty three times.
My latest boots are Sidi Canyons which I bought last month so we'll see how long these keep the water out.

I have 2 pairs of sidi adventure boots ,, the first pair leaked on a Norwegian trip (3 dry days in 4 weeks )Sealzkin socks rescued the situation On the trip .
I bought a second pair to replace them which have been dry right from the start . It turns out that ;- the goretex membrane is easily damaged by toenails . So I keep the good uns for long haul and use the holy ones locally .

I have 2 pairs of sidi adventure boots ,, the first pair leaked on a Norwegian trip (3 dry days in 4 weeks )Sealzkin socks rescued the situation On the trip .
I bought a second pair to replace them which have been dry right from the start . It turns out that ;- the goretex membrane is easily damaged by toenails . So I keep the good uns for long haul and use the holy ones locally .
Hmmm...i did think along those lines right at the start of this post but didn't want to mention it

Which model are you riding? I never asked. Do you use a mud guard extender?

2007 hex head R1200GS, I have a pyramid mudguard extender.... never seemed to help.

I wonder if tyres are part of it - I run road stuff, and been a long time since I had a tourance on there. But fairly sure the first ever foot soaking episode was in one 10 min downpour on that tyre. But the road tyre does get a lot more clearance to the front mudguard and you do see lots of water at the fork leg / mudguard area (which is the part I hoped to cure with my last mudguard extension)

re. the back of one's boots getting wet/dirty mentioned by someone earlier... never noticed this ever. I have a carbon hugger on the back, to which I added a 3" extension at the swinging arm pivot end, to stop the shock getting covered in detritus (goodness know what those idiots were thinking when they made it...)

On my KTM 1290 SAT I have a big issue with something on the front end... used to be normal and now a mega front end vibration at 110mph its like the worlds worst ever wheel imbalance. Dealer suggested taking off the top box (small touratec one) as they had issue with another customer "and that fixed it" …. but that's always been there and I can't belive that could make it do what my bike does.

all I can think is either some odd aerodynamics issue with the fender extender I added on the KTM.... or the last software update that broke the suspension both ends!!! has created something odd inside the forks !

I did see a hexhead with some clear plastic deflectors down in the cylinder head / toe of the boot area for protection. It could have been bespoke solution or maybe there is something out there (no good if water is being thrown up from the rear I guess).

I may see it again in September and I will make enquiries.

good reminder...

although hardly a route cause fix

fusschutz-bmw-r1200gs-2004-2007.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

2007 hex head R1200GS, I have a pyramid mudguard extender.... never seemed to help.

I wonder if tyres are part of it - I run road stuff, and been a long time since I had a tourance on there. But fairly sure the first ever foot soaking episode was in one 10 min downpour on that tyre. But the road tyre does get a lot more clearance to the front mudguard and you do see lots of water at the fork leg / mudguard area (which is the part I hoped to cure with my last mudguard extension)

re. the back of one's boots getting wet/dirty mentioned by someone earlier... never noticed this ever. I have a carbon hugger on the back, to which I added a 3" extension at the swinging arm pivot end, to stop the shock getting covered in detritus (goodness know what those idiots were thinking when they made it...)

On my KTM 1290 SAT I have a big issue with something on the front end... used to be normal and now a mega front end vibration at 110mph its like the worlds worst ever wheel imbalance. Dealer suggested taking off the top box (small touratec one) as they had issue with another customer "and that fixed it" …. but that's always been there and I can't belive that could make it do what my bike does.

all I can think is either some odd aerodynamics issue with the fender extender I added on the KTM.... or the last software update that broke the suspension both ends!!! has created something odd inside the forks !

Check KTM manual for max speed with luggage, I believe its less than 110mph.

that's not the cause..... its was safe up to 140... then a recall for a software update

lost half the power, the nanny features get in the way all the time, the rear suspension goes solid, the front has lost its various modes.... they totally ruined it
but the vibration is not due to weight aero or even stiff or soft suspension.…. something dramatic is happening... its more like the wheel falling off.... if you look the bottom of the forks shake back an forth 20mm

Back
Top Bottom