Crash course in airheads for overland r80gs

steele01

Reaction score
Hey everyone hope we are all good been having a bit of a look at r80 g/s gs an the r100 gs as an alternative to the 1150s for my trip to Norway an Iceland.

Just wondering what sort of price range done bikes are going for not needing engine work :)

Bit undecided yet but considering it once the rd250c is sold.

Anything to watch out for an any certain year which are stand outs over the others for long range travel.
Just starting to research them an look through old posts.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

35 to 40 year old bikes.
Budget for a full resto on them.
However once done you will have a bike that will outlive you.
Depending on your specs between £10 and £20 k for a restored machine
This would be £10k
Small range though 110 miles ish

Attachments

• 5B2CE9A2-6D71-465A-8828-AA61A8B0B170.jpg
    5B2CE9A2-6D71-465A-8828-AA61A8B0B170.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 436
Hey everyone hope we are all good been having a bit of a look at r80 g/s gs an the r100 gs as an alternative to the 1150s for my trip to Norway an Iceland.

Just wondering what sort of price range done bikes are going for not needing engine work :)

Bit undecided yet but considering it once the rd250c is sold.

Anything to watch out for an any certain year which are stand outs over the others for long range travel.
Just starting to research them an look through old posts.

Thanks in advance,

Tom
Obviously thinks changed though the years,
But not much,
Feel free to call for a chat,
Mike 07786340692

Thanks mate appreciate the reply. Gonna stick with the initial plan this time round once the 250c sells then have a decco at a airhead in the future :)

Cheers Tetley good to learn about the prices etc on them while I wait for the rd250c to sell. Keep constantly coming back to the airheads what are the 89 ish era GS bikes like compared to the early g/s guys as an overland bike.

Cheers Tetley good to learn about the prices etc on them while I wait for the rd250c to sell. Keep constantly coming back to the airheads what are the 89 ish era GS bikes like compared to the early g/s guys as an overland bike.
BMW has a reputation for constant evolution through development. If you’re set on an airhead, and I don’t blame you, I’d go for the latest version you can find but having said that the technology isn’t that different so condition and how it’s been cared for is everything unless you’re into a full restoration. The later paralever models do have tubeless wheels which can make puncture repairs easier but having said that a long distance rider will have perfected tyre changes him/herself before the off.

Thanks Paul really appreciate the reply great information would love an 80 g/s pd one day but far out of my price range. Indeed done a few on my Norton tube changes on the side of the road always fun :beerjug:

Another plus for the last line of paralevers (about 1991 to 1995) with the fairing bars is that you can strap stuff on to those bars. Only downside I know of apart from a little extra weight is that fitting a HPN tank requires cutting and welding in an extension to those bars.

Thanks for the reply guys, what are the 1989 era paralevers like? r80gs an r100gs. Quite curious as to which are the smoother engines an better mpg ? :beerjug:

Thanks for the reply guys, what are the 1989 era paralevers like? r80gs an r100gs. Quite curious as to which are the smoother engines an better mpg ? :beerjug:

The 80's are supposed to be smoother but you'll see people upgrading to 1000cc so presumably they feel the need for more power. From my own personal experience of touring in mountainous roads (2000m+)with full luggage and two up the 100 just about does the job at high altitude, so I'd imagine the 80 will struggle in that scenario.

Re MPG I guess the 80 will be more efficient, however I think that if you fit the smaller carbs from an 80 on to a 100 you'll save a few mpg but then you might start to think about twin plugging and so on.

Airheads

The difference between them is also weight. Each iteration got heavier. The shaft drive system on the g/s is simpler and apparently more reliable? (MikeyBoy may have an opinion here?) I have had both at the same time and kept the 85 g/s. Still have it.

Thanks Shez that's a good point re the weight do love the look of the g/s :) although not sure if the budget will reach them dependant on what the rd250c sells at an what else I decide to sell ::beerjug: seen a few of the r100gs with the fairing mounted on the forks kicking around just in budget.

The 80's are supposed to be smoother but you'll see people upgrading to 1000cc so presumably they feel the need for more power. From my own personal experience of touring in mountainous roads (2000m+)with full luggage and two up the 100 just about does the job at high altitude, so I'd imagine the 80 will struggle in that scenario.

Re MPG I guess the 80 will be more efficient, however I think that if you fit the smaller carbs from an 80 on to a 100 you'll save a few mpg but then you might start to think about twin plugging and so on.

I feel no need to increase the capacity, I feel no lack of performance - just how fast do you want to go 'sightseeing'? Do you want to see the world around you, or have to concentrate hard on the boring strip of grey ahead? I think people felt the need to do the 1000cc thing because they simply felt inferior to the 100GS - lack of will power or contentment and falling for the 'bigger is better and more important' attitude. Sam Manincom has done 280,000 miles through every continent on earth with his R80GS from 1992, and he hasn't seen any need for bigger cylinders, twin plugs or any of the other performance enhancements. I would think on gravel roads or narrow, high hedged lanes with little view down the road and every chance of a tractor or sheep around the corner the ability to do 60mph is limited and the 60hp, or whatever it is, on tap is more than enough. Christ alive I toured down through France to Spain, across and the North African coast in the early 80s on a Morini 350, very well loaded up - 35hp was plenty to climb the mountains with that little charmer. 4000 miles in 3 weeks, I never felt I needed more power. It got me there, it got me back, on time and very enjoyably. I suppose the enjoyment factor depends on where your kicks are derived, from the 'seat of the pants, christ that was close I nearly died' or the 'wow isn't that fantastic, just look at that view'. I know which I prefer, which is why IAM instructors get quite vexed at the fact my eyes are anywhere but on the road, as I said earlier, that is the most boring part of the view imaginable.

Thanks mate :) Yeah that's my thoughts exactly tbh which is why I went from having a 1200gsa te to the vstrom 1000xt then to an 800gs, an now considering the himmy an r80gs or g/s over the 1150's.

This is our 1989 R100GS that we bought in 1990 for a trip to Cape Ton (and beyond)

732fd21fc05080be4adf767f8e094e81.jpg

We still have it and use it regularly. We’re planning a 6/7k mile trip next year and, apart from a very major service and preparation, the only main component I plan to change is the shaft.

That looks brilliant :) Chas thanks for sharing the picture :beerjug: how many miles have you got on her out of interest?

You are all really setting me off on the airheads that's for sure totally a contender against the 1150's. I'm guessing the r80gs would be cheaper than the r100gs of the same year guys?

I’ll reiterate,my earlier comments,
You have restored a few bikes so not trying to teach you to suck eggs,.
I’ve just taken a good look at a 92 para gs,
Customer paid £7k plus from a dealer.
On closer inspection and later strip unearths the demons and bodges.
It won’t be a cheap bike when done.
Either buy cheap and restore properly,
Buy a restored bike from someone with a good reputation,
Or take your chance,
I’ve seen bikes with 15 k miles on with knackered (rust)cams due to standing,when fired up the Shiite off the cams goes through the oil pump and scraps that,the debris from that blocks the filter then the crank gets it..
Don’t want to be doom and gloom but ,,you need to know your stuff with airheads..:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom