R100RT Odometer repair recommendation

MIKA

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Folks just bought a 1980 R100RT with 81k on it.
First venture with an airhead and the odometer stopped working after 23 miles but speedo continues to work although it is over reading, indicated 75 mph only 63mph on sat nav

Can anyone recommend a repairer for this?
TIA

I've always found airhead speedos to be more of a general guide than a precise scientific instrument!

There are some very cool aftermarket units available which look authentic but work from satnav technology if you want to explore that route. Might be cheaper than a repair.

I've always found airhead speedos to be more of a general guide than a precise scientific instrument!

There are some very cool aftermarket units available which look authentic but work from satnav technology if you want to explore that route. Might be cheaper than a repair.

That might be an idea, took it off earlier today and nothing was obviously stuck so took it out a run and thought great it 's working again, only to discover it had turned over 300 miles on a 16 mile ride :blast

I used Terry Vrla in America, he was also not cheap (I was very happy with his wok though) I wanted to maintain the true mileage and my bike has the extra clocks that I believe are more desirable so wanted to keep It all original. I will dig out his email if you want it, been spot on since (there I go) apparently BMW used a plastic pin so has a tendency to break.

As above there are some good aftermarket stuff out there.

I used Terry Vrla in America, he was also not cheap (I was very happy with his wok though) I wanted to maintain the true mileage and my bike has the extra clocks that I believe are more desirable so wanted to keep It all original. I will dig out his email if you want it, been spot on since (there I go) apparently BMW used a plastic pin so has a tendency to break.

As above there are some good aftermarket stuff out there.

Email would be appreciated, not made any decision as to what to do yet but would prefer to keep it original

First venture with an airhead and the odometer stopped working after 23 miles but speedo continues to work although it is over reading, indicated 75 mph only 63mph on sat nav

Mika, I have taken a fair few of these pods apart for repair and for spares, etc. You might be able to effect a repair yourself. The odometer thing could be that all the bits are fubar'd or that a simple screw is loose and has allowed the worm drive to detach from the wheel that drives the odo. The speed differential is down to a magnetic axial force against a spring. In theory you move the spinning magnet nearer the speedo needle shaft and more magnetic effect pulls the needle round further. It would be an iterative process to get it spot-on. Message me if you would like me to 'inspect' your unit if you don't feel confident yourself?

Mika, I have taken a fair few of these pods apart for repair and for spares, etc. You might be able to effect a repair yourself. The odometer thing could be that all the bits are fubar'd or that a simple screw is loose and has allowed the worm drive to detach from the wheel that drives the odo. The speed differential is down to a magnetic axial force against a spring. In theory you move the spinning magnet nearer the speedo needle shaft and more magnetic effect pulls the needle round further. It would be an iterative process to get it spot-on. Message me if you would like me to 'inspect' your unit if you don't feel confident yourself?

Very kind offer, I have a friend who had a similar fault on a RS who has said he will have a look to see if it was the same problem that was an easy fix in his case. I already took it off and got it working however it is now adding miles when it should'nt. I will pm you if I have no luck :beerjug:

Thanks for all the replies folks :beerjug:

Tried mailing Terry, not received a reply so I have tried WSM Tachometerdienst been quoted Euro 399 for refurb if the main drive has gone it's an extra Euro 100

Sending mine off to them via DHL tomorrow.

Fa.WSM Tachometerdienst
z.Hd.Herr Schmidt
Neuwiesenweg 6
64293 Darmstadt
Tel. (Mr. Schmidt): 0049 6151-9584833

I have tried WSM Tachometerdienst been quoted Euro 399 for refurb if the main drive has gone it's an extra Euro 100

Ouch. As they are local to me, I was going take my old Yam speedo to them. Might look for a used one:)

WSM Tachometerdienst
z.Hd.Herr Schmidt
Neuwiesenweg 6
64293 Darmstadt
Tel. (Mr. Schmidt):
0049 6151-9584833

Got my speedo back from WSM last week, full recondition and calibration. I know it's quite expensive but I'm happy with the result.
Before and after below.

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 276
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 267

Back
Top Bottom