1290SA-S died in Adare! Race button problem?

Bin Ridin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well!
First time I have had a bike on the back of a lorry but that is what happened on Friday. Supposed to be going to Leenane via Adare photo point. While maneuvering into position for Adare Bridge photo, she conked out. I thought I had stalled it but no, would not start, screen dead, bike dead.
Looked at fuses and so on at the roadside but after 1 hour decided to call Recovery. Did call the Royal Enfield guys in Adare but they were busy and their trailer was away. Anyhow, before too long, bike was on the back of a truck from Damien O'Connor in Croom and I was in a rental car driving to home.

The bike came yesterday morning and between then and now, I found that the fault is as follows:
When I disconnect and reconnect the battery (or remove and refit Fuse 1 - rearmost 10A fuse), I can hear the steering lock trying to engage, then as the steering is not turned to left side, it times out and goes to it's rest position, followed by 4 flashes on orange led bottom left of screen. 4 orange flashes means steering lock has not been able to engage. This steering lock noise made me think there was a permanent signal from the "race" button which is what you need to lock the bike in ordinary operation. I did manage to lock, unlock and start the bike by disconnecting and reconnecting the Race button loom but it was quite random. Anyhow, it shows bike / battery etc. are 100%.

Much later, I have tested the Race button loom, 4 wires. 2 stay connected together whether button is pressed or not and no other connections appear either making or breaking. This makes me fairly sure the switch under the button is knacked in the "pushed" condition.

Reason I am writing this long tale is to ask has anyone had the Race button failure problem and is it as I have described above?
I do see a mention of a problem with the switch - just looking for 1st hand experience is available?

Ta,
Bin

Have you checked that big ol 30a
c6b4c3471c8f1184af2de84cfb7ad539.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, 30A fuse is good. I was able to start the bike here after some random plugging / unplugging so I know everything is working, just the "Race On" button - mad name for it...

Ah now yee never would have had that problem on old Buttercup the 1150 but yee were seduced by all that technology and stuff :aidan

Good luck and I hope its a quick fix for you

Ah now yee never would have had that problem on old Buttercup the 1150 but yee were seduced by all that technology and stuff :aidan

Good luck and I hope its a quick fix for you

Lotta truth there Jay! My old Suzuki 500 twin would look good now, I'm thinking!

Wow , I didn’t realise they were fitting electric steering locks to bike now. I’m not a Luddite but I’m not sure I like the idea of that .

Anyway good luck and I hope you get it sorted :thumb

Wow , I didn’t realise they were fitting electric steering locks to bike now. I’m not a Luddite but I’m not sure I like the idea of that .

Anyway good luck and I hope you get it sorted :thumb

I don't use mine just in case the solenoid jams up and leaves me going around in circles on the drive way for two weeks instead of riding the Alps. I carry a small alarmed disc lock to stop it easily being wheeled away when parked up out of sight.

The On button issue is well known, early bikes had a problem with the wiring loom and there is a modified one with better shielding, wiggling the bars tends to get the bike going - but hard to do with that pesky steering lock on!

I fitted a new RHS handlebar switch assembly which has cured the issue.
Bike is behaving normally and Meta Alarm is working as before.
Phew!

Back
Top Bottom