Speedo/Brake faulty/clock lights Faulty. Please Help.

Skudd

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2010 bike on a 57 plate (don't ask).

Friday put new fixings on the screen because they were crap and broken and screen kept on moving. So all sorted.

Came to use bike and the Brake Fail light stays on and the (A) light flashes, the speedo doesn't work and the lights on the dash don't work.

Brakes work as they have always done and rest of the dash is on. Mileage isn't increasing with distance, tyre pressure ok, temp ok, fuel gauge ok.

Occasionally the speedo works and the lights on the clocks come on, but then go off, while the speedo is working the mileage goes up.

Where do I start?

I've disconnected the plug at the rear of the clocks cleaned and plugged back in with no change.

Any ideas???

Thinking it may be sensors, but which one, saw a youtube video that said it may be the brake lever switches, either front or back.

If it is a sensor are they easy to change and what sort of cost?

When you're speedo is not working, does your abs work? As in step on rear brake and does it lock up?

I've not tried that, will have a go in the morning. Reading up more on stuff, it seems it may be the rear sensor. brake pads/ brake fluid/ dirt/etc. This does narrow things down a bit and gives me somewhere to start looking. Apparently the speedo sensor is on the rear wheel.

Rear Speedo sensor is on the inside of the final drive
Remove the wheel and you can get to the fixing screw through the rear disc.

It doesn't sound like it's the classic ABS sensor problem tbh. The Kombi unit can have water ingress issues which can cause all manner of problems.

It doesn't look like a big job, just a PITA thing. Just wish it was the old cable from the clocks to the front wheel, those were the days.

Barring a component failure

The only other alternatives are a bad earth or broken wire

The bad earth isn't to hard to fix, just time consuming

You need to check , clean and protect all earth points

The broken wire is a ball ache , but the headstock and battery area where its cable tied (to tightly) or can move and chafe are likely culprits

Well I took the sensor out and gave it a clean, the oil needed changing anyway. Still no joy, well it looks like its going to be a broken wire or earth issue. How the bugger do I start checking that? I'm a very basic electrics guy, I have a multi meter, bit only really know how to check for a basic broken wire, as in continuity test and battery volts.

Well I took the sensor out and gave it a clean, the oil needed changing anyway. Still no joy, well it looks like its going to be a broken wire or earth issue. How the bugger do I start checking that? I'm a very basic electrics guy, I have a multi meter, bit only really know how to check for a basic broken wire, as in continuity test and battery volts.

Classic place for corrosion is near the battery area in the loom, strip the black cloth tape back about 20cm to start with... I've just had the same problem, a had an Auto electrician out and been at it for 3 weeks... now solved... so drop me a pm, i had to strip my he wire loom back to the ecu.

Do you have any diagnostic tools as in 911 tool or Motoscan, a basic test that will confirm a few things is to ... switch acc on with everything plugged in wiggling a Magnet infront off the sensor see if you can get your instrument cluster (speedo) to move... i can send you a video

Do you have any diagnostic tools as in 911 tool or Motoscan, a basic test that will confirm a few things is to ... switch acc on with everything plugged in wiggling a Magnet infront off the sensor see if you can get your instrument cluster (speedo) to move... i can send you a video
I haven't any diagnostic tools, I'm almost sure it's wiring from when I did some DIY jobs. I'm Taking the bike to "Ted" on the Wirrall who should be able to sort it out hopefully.

It doesn't sound like it's the classic ABS sensor problem tbh. The Kombi unit can have water ingress issues which can cause all manner of problems.

I concur with Tony having just gone through this myself. Rev counter back light wasn’t working. Not just a blown bulb as when I switched the bike off, the needle on the Rev counter would stay lit no matter how long it was switched off. Possibly due to water. New set of clocks fitted by Williams BMW Manchester

Back
Top Bottom