About to enter the world of bike comms.

Kaybe

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
I have never used a bike comms in my 45+ years of biking, but decided to now take the plunge for various reasons.
What I am primarily looking for is a link to my apple phone, my sat nav and must be waterproof.
So nothing overly sophisticated.
On occasion maybe be able to talk to another rider.

I go look at what is out there and my old grey matter is overwhelmed with too much data. Feck I have difficulty understanding my phone! :rob
I was hoping to get something in the £100 area, but if something is worthwhile / well recommended maybe up to £200.

I currently have a Schuberth C3 as a helmet.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation.

I'll keep it simple

SENA or CARDO

two well known & well used bike comms systems

All will do phone to helmet comms (calls - media) / satnav to helmet comms / Rider to passenger comms / Rider to other rider comms

Usual stuff applies - Phone must be compatible ( Bluetooth 4.0 or higher) -

some features are comms unit dependent

some features are Nav dependant

Hi
I have never used a bike comms in my 45+ years of biking, but decided to now take the plunge for various reasons.
What I am primarily looking for is a link to my apple phone, my sat nav and must be waterproof.
So nothing overly sophisticated.
On occasion maybe be able to talk to another rider.

I go look at what is out there and my old grey matter is overwhelmed with too much data. Feck I have difficulty understanding my phone! :rob
I was hoping to get something in the £100 area, but if something is worthwhile / well recommended maybe up to £200.

I currently have a Schuberth C3 as a helmet.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation.

I may have a spare Schuberth SRC you can have - I believe they are made by Cardo.

It's not the latest version but it may do a turn.

I bought two off a bod here (BOGOF) and only used one. Can't guarantee it'll be ok, but as you'll only be paying postage...

PM me if you'd like.

Cardo packtalk bold is by far the best.
The comms kit in the Schuberth is ok for pillion/occasional use for intercom but not up to main helmet standard. IMHO.

I use a cardo Pactalk bold and the pillion quality is excellent with good connection to everything. The only down side of these is that they can do so much it's easy to get confused with everything it can do, and the voice recognition can be a bit hit and miss, but it's the best I've ever used. There is no point in saving a few quid getting something cheap in these, you get what you pay for, many of my previous systems would crackle and hiss with wind noise, once you set the cardo up you can use the app and an on line tool to set it up even further for speed/volume/sensitivity etc - so worth exploring the software as I'm sure many riders don't even know this.

The comms kit in the Schuberth is ok for pillion/occasional use for intercom but not up to main helmet standard. IMHO.

Had an original Packtalk (not Bold) for nearly 5 years now, been brilliant and it gets all the latest software upgrades. And they are guaranteed waterproof, Sena are not. It does rain in Europe :)

Can you tell me why its "by far the best" ?

I’d say - get a pair of Cardo (Scala) G4 or G9 - secondhand.

Only thing to watch for on them - is if the silicon button covers are perished/starting to perish.

They are good, dependable units for rider/pillion comms and also bike/bike.

I would be wary of jumping in with expensive brand-new models.

I’d say - get a pair of Cardo (Scala) G4 or G9 - secondhand.

Only thing to watch for on them - is if the silicon button covers are perished/starting to perish.

They are good, dependable units for rider/pillion comms and also bike/bike.

I would be wary of jumping in with expensive brand-new models.

Good advice, but be wary of age and price, I had G9s before the Packfalk and the battery craped out and then it wouldn't switch off. There will be no warranty. I did use them for years though, but they were nowhere near as reliable as the Packtalk.

Originally had Sena SMH10, moved onto Packtalk Bold for the Mesh reature and >4 connections.

Would happily go back to the Sena....

Get it sold then, there will be plenty of punters after a reasonably priced Bold.

Trouble is all riding buddies Barr one swapped to Bolds so there is some “momentum” involved, might try plugging in some in ear monitors, that may help

Back
Top Bottom