stephen tapson

ExPanRider
Reaction score
New to this forum, so hi there.
Need a bit of help.
Sorry this is a bit long winded but thought I would get in all the steps that I've taken already.

After a chance conversation with a fellow GS rider he mentioned the horror stories of rusty drive shafts.
Like many others, I had no idea about this, So checked mine out, 2016 GSA, and low and behold the rear end of the shaft was rusted solid to the final drive input shaft. Gutted

Initially took the final drive complete with the shaft attached to Mr BMW at Bolton who came back with, Are you prepared to lay out £700 in case we mess it up.

A big thank you to all the contributors whose inputs where invaluable. In the end it was a combination of days of drip feeding penetrating oil, Freezing spray and a modified SDS chisel bit attached to a SDS hammer drill that moved it.

Just reinstalled the shaft nicely lubed up.

Now there is a vibration coming from the drive train.

The UJ's seemed fine, no play whatsoever and the shaft looks straight to the naked eye. But it did take a hammer blow or 3 with a King Dick placed at the step in the shaft.

So have took it back off and thought the local drive shaft solutions firm at Gateshead would be able to check if is out of balance and replace the UJ.
Not the case as they have not got the correct fittings for balancing or UJ parts.
Although they will try to check for straightness.

Can anyone tell me if there is somewhere in the North Eas tthat can balance/check and replace the UJ on the GS shaft
What else could cause this vibe?
Would those hammer blows be enough to damage the UJ?

Thanks in advance for any relevant info
Cheers

Welcome to the forum ...

Hmm hitting any balanced component with a large lump hammer is not likely to end well :(

Why the worry about the shaft?

load of components on cars and bikes get exposed to rust and do not fail.

Driveshafts being one of them - yes they do fail, but think one hand ;)

Rather than go down the route of trying to find someone to check and modify a possibly defective shaft

Motorworks do SH ones for £220

Alternatively give Mikey a ring at Overland and classic, he may be able to offer help / solution

I suspect the worry is more about the corrosion and fretting of the splined joint between shaft and final drive input than the UJ per se. Lots of documented final drive problems since early days of K and R bikes because the splines have rubbed away- hence a desire to regularly clean and lubricate them properly.

He ha
Leave the drive shafts the feck alone........
Stop reading rubbish on here, convincing you to go check your drive shaft. Go check your car's whilst you're at it:blast

He ha
Stop reading rubbish on here, convincing you to go check your drive shaft. Go check your car's whilst you're at it:blast

Name me a car that because of its design, the splined end of the driveshaft is rusted solid to its corresponding shaft.

He ha

Google "r1200gs driveshaft splines rust"

Go ahead, we'll wait.

I dont need to, as this forum is packed jam full of exploding drive shafts:jes

Thanks for the welcome santa.
Yep may have been sucked into something that I should have left alone but was toooo tempting to rid me of the rusty splines. :(

But thanks for the links they will come in useful when I get the shaft back.

Thanks for the welcome santa.
Yep may have been sucked into something that I should have left alone but was toooo tempting to rid me of the rusty splines. :(

But thanks for the links they will come in useful when I get the shaft back.

No worries,

We'll always try to help - sometimes the news might not be as palatable as we'd hoped for, but there is a wealth of very knowledgeable people on here.

Have you checked the FD for play they unfortunately do require tlc and can fail at quite early mileages (damhik) ;)

We have members who can rebuild final drives and shocks, so your covered there :thumb

No worries,

Have you checked the FD for play they unfortunately do require tlc and can fail at quite early mileages (damhik)

You couldn't make this shit up.
Stephen, they dont need TLC and they dont fail at low mileages.
Ignore this post.
If you believed everything posted here, your bike will explode tomorrow and your head will fall off.

Ignore this post.
If you believed everything posted here, your bike will explode tomorrow and your head will fall off.

Anyone seen my head :D

Seriously it is always a good thing to lubricate the splines. It is a moving part.

better go strip my van and two cars drive shafts down then ?

Ignore this post.

Sorry to disagree, mine failed at 24K, Mikey rebuilt it - so it's not shit :)

TLC = change the oil at the specified intervals thats all

but driveshafts thats your territory ;) :beerjug:

Just because yours failed ? Sorry about that. But C'mon. Regrettably, yours is a rare case. Typically posted about on forums :barf. But the vast majority, no issues at all:thumb.
TLC = Service ? Thats hardly Tender poxy care:blast

Just because yours failed ? Sorry about that. But C'mon. Regrettably, yours is a rare case. Typically posted about on forums :barf. But the vast majority, no issues at all:thumb.
TLC = Service ? Thats hardly Tender poxy care:blast

no worries , It was an expensive year lol :(

The reference to the FD to the op was the vibration may be coming from the FD and not the shaft .. but he wont know until he gets it back :)

Yes i agree things should last longer, but sometimes they dont - but that can happen to any marque / make

Yes. Completely agree.
But to add that its common and needs TLC simply isn't true.
The vibration after his unnecessary work on the shaft is due to the shaft now not being balanced.

Back
Top Bottom