Dropped my GS on the drive :(

N6FUR

Reaction score
Just finished washing my 1250 and managed to drop it on its right side. Such a wally!!

Anyway resulted in a slight scuffs to plastic end cap of the exhaust and hand guard, but the valve cover looks a mess.

I know it could be considered a battle scar but I've no tale to tell other than my stupidity. I've looked at aftermarket covers which seem to be one solution but wondered if anyone had replaced the cover? Is it an easy job? and how much do they cost?

Now the horse has bolted I'll get around to those bars I've been putting off :(

I know it could be considered a battle scar but I've no tale to tell other than my stupidity.

You can tell any tale you like.. some heroic machoness, no one will be any wiser! :beerjug:

I wouldn't worry, it sucks and you'll kick yourself for a while but it is what it is.
It can be repaired, it's only a valve cover at the end of the day and the cost will be a very small percentage against the cost of the bike so if it irritates you that much sort it, otherwise erase from your memory!

I feel for you!!
I did the same in front of an audience, mine was damaged on the left side. Fortunately it was 'only' damage to the cylinder cover and being me, I bought a new one and then after the horse bolted, fitted machine art xheads covers from Nippys.
The cylinder cover costs about £175 if I recall and the xhead's £160 per pair. I sold the damaged one on ebay for £40. Its an easy job but you will need a low range torque wrench for the 3 head bolts and also torx 45...I think, and you won't believe how 'loose' the the bolts feel. Its only 10NM torque.
In my experience I would clean thoroughly around the gasket after you've tightened. I eventually used gunk because if you don't do this, you might think you have a weep. You will also need to remove the spark plug shrouds which are long and some need a tool to get purchase to release but mine was well silicone greased at the factory and pulled out easily. Before you do this you need to disconnect the plug/ socket to it which again you will need to be careful with as mine was tight and the fear is you can pull a wire out. To release, you need to push in a little pin where they connect together.
If you are local to North Hampshire, I'm will to help. John

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

You now have an excuse to get the cylinder covers painted to match the rest of the engine. :thumb

Kind of you but I'm in the Scottish Borders. Would the Machine Art Xheads cover the cylinder cover without the need for a new one??

Yes they would. You might have to file down the burrs though! I did consider this as it is the cheapest route for sure...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

when i dropped my 09 one i rubbed down the scuffs, filled the scars with aluminium putty, smoothed it all off and aerosol painted the covers slightly darker grey. i think the colour i used was ford graphite. looked ok and then i bought x head covers to avoid the same again.

Popped your cherry then :) x

We all do it,

My first time was turning out of a road near to where i live early morning on the way to work

i found the whole episode funny as f*ck , some guy came over to give a hand and i casually declined.

Lifting it up was easier than i thought :)

Second time i left the fecker where i was and went and had a cup of coffee.

Luckily i have crash bars, but it's a trade off, bent , scuffed bars = pita for removing the heads ;) and the bars rust

and they dont protect the rear drive either.

If you are going to spray the covers, heat them up with a hair dryer so nice and warm. Place the spray can in a warm jug of water for 10mins.

Less chance of the paint running as will dry quicker. Consider buying a tin of spray lacquer - will look professional:D

Just put MAM covers over it. Covers the damage and protects from more. I dont like bars and think they are useless unless you are going to be falling over in the dirt a lot.

I just dropped my bike few eeks ago, and I think it might happen again. Thus, I decided to sand paper the damage with a coarse sand paper and then with finer ones until I got a nice smooth surface. I applied a high temperature prime paint, and spray painted with ColoRite 8400 BMW-933 (granite gray metallic) that is the exact color code. I just followed the instructions at the back of the prime and the spray paint. It came out so good you cannot tell the difference with the other one. I finished the work applying a mat clear coat to protect the paint layer. i decided to follow this procedure ( less than 2 hours work because you need to wait 15-20 minutes between coats) because I am likely to drop it again, and I now have a handy and economical solution at home.

Kind of you but I'm in the Scottish Borders. Would the Machine Art Xheads cover the cylinder cover without the need for a new one??

If you fit them whatever you do DO NOT tighten the new bolts more than lightly hand tight I think its around 5nm, or the bolt could possibly snap on the threaded section and then you will be taking the head off.

Yep been there done that... a week after owning my GS

Pulled bike round house to front drive, put on side stand.
went back to close gate... heard a loud bang!
Turned round GS on its side OMFG!!!

The side stand folded away and bike dropped (drive is a slight slope)
Luckily i have engine bars on, which now have a nice graze on :/

The only story i tell people, is what a dozy prick i am!

Not gonna lie, i couldn't stop thinking about if for days... now im paranoid when putting the stand down

Put it in 1st gear when on a slope, they roll far too easily

dropped my 1st GS (an 850) many years ago (twice!) Once filling up, tried to put on centre stand, slipped off as damp whilst lifting, toppled over the bike........... 2nd time arriving at work, relatively tight turn and misjudged it......... Had those plastic covers on the heads, they did their job......... Had to pick it up twice by myself, was a struggle but managed it! Not sure i would nowadays!

Dropped my 08 not long after getting it. As above, putting it on the centre stand with a slippy instep and it fell away from me! Not nice with something new (to me)....

Reminds me of getting new company car... promised myself I was going to really look after this one and buy it off the company after 3 years.... about a week in I glanced of a roadwork cone. Now it did actually rub out OK :D:D but it took the gloss off it, excuse the pun! And then a guy left and his car was better spec so I swapped... and then I left the company anyway :rolleyes::D

They nearly all get christened sooner or later :aidan

If you fit them whatever you do DO NOT tighten the new bolts more than lightly hand tight I think its around 5nm, or the bolt could possibly snap on the threaded section and then you will be taking the head off.

Good point but the new covers for the 1250 are different to the 1200 as they do mot use the cover bolts.

Back
Top Bottom