An RT for under £6k?

Greenman14

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about an RT. I had a GS twin cam so I know a bit about the breed but at my budget it’s looking like an early higher mile TC or an older single cam. I’m also concerned about the brake system: do some models have a servo type ABS that costs a fortune to fix? I’d like ABS, but I can manage without linked brakes, though I got used to them on my VFR. I’m not going to do lots of miles so mileage is st so much of a problem but I would like one in proper good condition. Thoughts? Advice?

Brakes:-

"for the 2007 model year, servo assist was removed from the partially integrated brakes. A new, more advanced and lighter ABS system was produced by Continental Teves, which also produced the optional Automatic Stability Control (ASC) in BMW's traction control system for motorcycles."

I never had problems with my 2005 bike.

Brakes:-

"for the 2007 model year, servo assist was removed from the partially integrated brakes. A new, more advanced and lighter ABS system was produced by Continental Teves, which also produced the optional Automatic Stability Control (ASC) in BMW's traction control system for motorcycles."

I never had problems with my 2005 bike.

Thanks for that. I know not all servos fail, and maybe some of the failures are because people don’t change the brake fluid. Buying a 10-15 year old bike there’s a risk the braking system hasn’t been properly maintained so is more likely to cause problems. I guess I’d be looking for a post 2007 bike anyway.

I have been looking at an R1200RT ES £6K 46K BMW Used Warranty sound like a good deal thoughts please?
aged 9 11/12

I have been looking at an R1200RT ES £6K 46K BMW Used Warranty sound like a good deal thoughts please?
aged 9 11/12

My thoughts are that you should start your own thread and not hijack someone else’s.

i thought i was never used this before so if you can delete it please do as my Parkinsons is playing up and cant do a lot

Thanks for that. I know not all servos fail, and maybe some of the failures are because people don’t change the brake fluid. Buying a 10-15 year old bike there’s a risk the braking system hasn’t been properly maintained so is more likely to cause problems. I guess I’d be looking for a post 2007 bike anyway.
I sold my 2005 rt with 100,000km on it 10 weeks ago for £2500. In that time, I never had the rocker covers off it, never changed the rear hub or gearbox oil, and never changed the brake fluid. I also never washed it.
The majority of servos do not fail. Changing brake fluid is just BMW "Dangling the Skeleton".
New owner washed bike, and has decided that otherwise my maintenance schedule was just about perfect, so has decided to carry on with it.
Myke

aged 9 11/12

Compare it to mine for sale on here ..... then make you own mind up ?? ( ps .............I don't even know what an ES is !!)

Ive no idea who needs what still................... but anyone wanting a 2010 Twin Cam RT pop me a pm.

Shes a real beauty and in very good order.............

Not meaning to hijack thread, its meant as a reply to the OP or any other interested party.

£6,000 RT

I have a Nov. 2015 RT fitted with everything. 42,000 miles One owner full service etc.
I've been offered £6,000 in px for a new Triumph Tiger 900 GT.
So that's £12,000 depreciation in 6 years..
You are right to not buy a new one!!!
I have to keep mine for a bit (lot) longer....

Rgds
Dave

Posh Pete has a 2013, 35K'er for 6K on this site

I bought a white, 2013, 16K'er from a dealer with 2 year warrantee for 8K delivered

Back
Top Bottom