Some new vibes. Coil(s)?

Slipperyeel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Evening gents. Just arrived into South of Germany. Now with a much needed beer and dinner.

Half way to the tunnel (roughly 100 miles) I became aware of a new vibration. On arrival I checked the rear end visually and gave things a try for play. All good.

On leaving the train and getting it on to cover the miles I soon felt it back again. My thoughts were plugs or coils or both. Thought about fuel, but by now I was into a mix, do it didn't fit. Yes, I also thought about all the other possible nightmare possibilities. Lol.

We stopped for a bum rest and lunch. Thereafter, for approx 80-90 miles, it was back to its smooth self, in fact I took full advantage of the German 'freedom' - no, I didn't ride naked . It's hard to stay out of 3 figures on that bike even with luggage when its working. But this vibration thing also means it's list some of its beans. Hence me thinking ignition?

Then, it crept back....

What can come and do like that but electrics? I'm wondering if heat is a factor? Excluding this, the bike is wonderful and handles beautifully. I love it. Got another day in the road tomorrow, so interested to see how it is.

Anyone else had this kind of thing with plugs or coils?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

At least 2 coil sticks have failed on my 05 with exactly the same classic high tension failure symptoms of, very gentle acceleration= OK, normal acceleration and bike basically drops to one cylinder. Your symptoms do not sound similar.

At least 2 coil sticks have failed on my 05 with exactly the same classic high tension failure symptoms of, very gentle acceleration= OK, normal acceleration and bike basically drops to one cylinder. Your symptoms do not sound similar.
Thanks for that. Another day on the road here so I'll be interested to see how it is before it all heats up.

I had a coil stick go on my 1150. I had the opposite to you. High revs seemed to be ok, but slowing and off and slowing down revealed it, meaning on/off the throttle was horribly jerky.

Forgot to say. It idles perfectly, which has thrown me a little. But doesn't take plugs or coils of the list.

I did wonder about wind because if it comes in at a particular angle and strength, it can cause vibes. Just not convinced I could have the same wind, same angle etc etc for several hundred miles.

Will report back

Do you ever stop worrying ?

:D
No . But I do laugh at myself . I'm a mechanical hypochondriact, definitely not medical

While you're here. Today's update after another 400 miles, is... I'm wondering if it's the exhaust. In particular the flappy valve junction. I had all that off to get the rear shock out. Now I can see 'coloured' halo around the silencer side of the joint. I'll have to post a pic. So I'm wondering if that's leaking? But surely it would be consistent, all the time?

But I haven't missed the fact It's got me here

nasty fuel?

If you get e10 (very common) it will run like a dog

nasty fuel?

If you get e10 (very common) it will run like a dog
I did wonder about that as well. It would explain why it came and went, and then returned.

I know there's something because I'm now getting off with that buzzy feeling in my hands and feet. I'll check the crash bars, maybe there's a bolt loosening. I did have all that loosened when doing the front shock. But I've done about 3.5k miles since then.

I'm looking forward to reporting back that I found a loose bolt! I've stopped the miles now. Time for a beer. I'll have s chance to look it over. Meanwhile the motor itself is wonderful and the bike's handling too. I love it

As I'm away, I don't have my BMW service CD with me.

I'm looking to see if the the flappy valve junctions are dry and just clamped (as I thought) or if there's supposed to be any paste in there? And while I'm at it, is there a torque for this clamp bolts? (though I'm sure if have used a value if I'd seen it?!)

Thanks in advance. Just getting some things off the list. Not that the list is long! I'm going to bung in a set of new plugs before the shops here close (for the summer), but only as a 30th birthday present for the moto - yes ok, to calm my neurosis as well

Evening all. Heading back to blighty tomorrow. The other day I took a long look over the bike before I load it full of food etc and ask for it's usual faultless service.

Referring back to my mechanical neurosis and the vibes. I got a socket to the claimp on the silencer side of the exhaust and discovered I got a at least 3/4 of a turn out of it. Expected little to nothing. So kinda hoping this has been the cause of the little vibes I've noticed. Will find outt soon enough tomorrow!

In the meantime, below is a pic of the previously mentioned greenish residue around the silencer side of the exhaust that got me wondering in the first place.

20200818_185147.jpg

The book says to grease the exhaust clamps. Presumably to help the clamp spread the load around the exhaust. So that might be the residue from the grease, which I think, if my memory Is correct, is that Starburags NBU 30 lubricating and assembly grease which if you’re not familiar with is white in colour.

I notice that you have no cover on the exhaust flap valve. So I take it you watch it cycle during the start cycle. It’s normally spring loaded open and the actuator controls it’s closed position. Mine seized at half closed or half open depending on one’s perspective, I was glad to get rid of it for a through pipe.

:thumb2
Ian

Ian. Thanks for that feedback. Quite useful because I didn't use any grease surround the clamp 'ring' at all. I put some on the dowels/bolt threads as they get a load of weather and heat cycles.

I did though stuff some nickel grease into wherever it would go on the flapper pivot when I had the silencer off. I'm thinking (especially with your comment in mind and that I didn't grease the clamp) the copper or even nickel in the grease I stuffed in has been able to make it's way out and left that halo. Bit of a long shot greasing that pivot tbh, incredibly harsh environment in there!!!

But the good news is, the micro vibe has gone. So for the moment, I'm thinking it was that

Next time I have that assembly off, I'll be lightly greasing the inner face of the clamp! Thanks for the tip

Back
Top Bottom