What will happen if I touch it?

Northern Monkey

Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking, asking for a friend , honest....

I have borrowed a bmw syncro tool thingy for balancing the THrottle bodies, all was going well and both bars moved together totally in sync however It was now idling at 1600rpm

Tweaking this and that moved the bars out of sync but fixed the idle

So I may have started to fiddle with the brass screw on the throttle body , basically I’m now so far into fiddling that I don’t know where I started from.

I’ve seen the videos on YouTube and all they tweak the throttle cable adjusters.

How do I get back to normal to start again?
322ce910c9810330f5b39a6bac08fcad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First make sure you have some play in the throttle cables at the throttle bodies. 1 or two mm should be ok. Just push them in with a screwdriver to check. You want play on the throttle cables and the choke cable at the handlebar.

The 'big' brass screws are for adjusting the idle speed. 1 & 1/2 full turns is the base setting. Then using your gauge adjust the idle until you get a synchronized idle.
Then adjust the throttle bodies. Stick to adjusting from one side, the right hand throttle is easiest and adjust your cables to off idle up to 3500 revs.

That should be ok. Just 're check your idle sync. When done don't forget to zero the play at the choke cable.

First make sure you have some play in the throttle cables at the throttle bodies. 1 or two mm should be ok. Just push them in with a screwdriver to check. You want play on the throttle cables and the choke cable at the handlebar.

The 'big' brass screws are for adjusting the idle speed. 1 & 1/2 full turns is the base setting. Then using your gauge adjust the idle until you get a synchronized idle.
Then adjust the throttle bodies. Stick to adjusting from one side, the right hand throttle is easiest and adjust your cables to off idle up to 3500 revs.

That should be ok. Just 're check your idle sync. When done don't forget to zero the play at the choke cable.

Ok was right with you upto the zero play at the choke!

Your in Preston, take to Roy Gardener, he sorted mine out. :beerjug:
Hypothetically speaking, asking for a friend , honest....

I have borrowed a bmw syncro tool thingy for balancing the THrottle bodies, all was going well and both bars moved together totally in sync however It was now idling at 1600rpm

Tweaking this and that moved the bars out of sync but fixed the idle

So I may have started to fiddle with the brass screw on the throttle body , basically I’m now so far into fiddling that I don’t know where I started from.

I’ve seen the videos on YouTube and all they tweak the throttle cable adjusters.

How do I get back to normal to start again?
322ce910c9810330f5b39a6bac08fcad.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jULam5hgM-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40sJjXU62xU&t=59s

These utube videos should give an idea. The chap on the 1st one gives the bmw way of doing things.

The 2nd vid is much simpler to follow. It starts by showing the procedure on a 1200 and then shows the procedure on an 1100.

It is something that is well within the capabilities of a home DIYer. Once you get the hang of it it is easy to do.

What I meant in my earlier post was after you have slackened your choke cable, to carry out the adjustment, don't forget to take out the slack in the choke when you finnish. The choke is just a fast idle cable. If its slack it won't pull the throttle back when you need to use it,

regards.

Back
Top Bottom