Cheap laptop

Thanks for all the advice. Couldn’t quite live with the idea of a refurbished item though I’ve bought many refurbs from apple which have been great as is their customer service. Last night I ordered two Lenovo units I didn’t realise that an ssd could be installed so cheaply. The ones I’ve bought are ssd but only 4gb ram which I understand may limit how good they are. Once they are out of warranty I may look into a diy upgrade for the ram. As an aside more than 3/4 of what I was considering are out Of stock with no delivery scheduled thanks to COVID

4GB of RAM running Windows 10 will certainly limit performance.
If it's not too late I would get ontop them and ask for more RAM.
I would suggest minimum 8GB. 12GB even better.

If the RAM is up-gradable then it won't affect your warranty adding more yourself. There will be a 'hatch' on the back. Very easy to do.

Similar situation for me. I bought a couple of 2010/11 MacBook Pro’s for my kids...upgraded the memory to 8gb and swapped out the mechanical hard drives for SSD’s. A quick partition of the drives means they can boot to either iOS or windows. Seems to be working fine at the moment and keeps them away from my tech.

I also agree Macs are very good machines, but most of the time they are not suitable for school/college work as you have found out most schools/colleges use windows based software
pimion

Well, Macs will be very expensive to repair and while studying, computer always has damages with time, I think windows based us the best option. I am student and must admit , I had to write big number of essays and course works.

Back
Top Bottom