BMW Satnav V Speed alerts

transalper44

Reaction score
Purchased from this Parish a BMW Motorrad Sat Nav V to update from my BMW SN 4, on trying it out today I was surprised to find it didn't show speed alerts or Speed Cameras which was in the SN 4 !

Got in touch with the previous owner, he said it never did or his wifes SN 5. Very Strange as that's one of the advantages of SN's as well as navigating.

Your wisdom is required to solve this problem, should it be installed or do you have purchase speed camera sites from Garmin (At the price of these things, you would expect it to be installed)

Purchased from this Parish a BMW Motorrad Sat Nav V to update from my BMW SN 4, on trying it out today I was surprised to find it didn't show speed alerts or Speed Cameras which was in the SN 4 !

Got in touch with the previous owner, he said it never did or his wifes SN 5. Very Strange as that's one of the advantages of SN's as well as navigating.

Your wisdom is required to solve this problem, should it be installed or do you have purchase speed camera sites from Garmin (At the price of these things, you would expect it to be installed)

Page 13

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/BMW_Nav_V_OM_EN.pdf

So you spend nearly £600 new and you don't get the camera alerts ? How come in my Garmin 4 ... Garmin 550 were installed as standard, Tom Tom also. For what Garmin charge it should fitted, I can traffic information being an extra but come on !

Correct me if i'm wrong but they are called saftey cameras,

You need to pay a subscription £25 odd PA for them.

Once paid for and downloaded via GE you go into the menu's and turn them on

if you dont want them via garmin, you can go to one of the 3rd party suppliers and purchase / install from them

Of course you are correct ... they are called safety Cameras ... that fleese you, they are bloody Dick Turpins. Abit like Garmin, who in the past had the SAFELY alerts installed as standard but now you have to paid annually.

Of course you are correct ... they are called safety Cameras ... that fleese you, they are bloody Dick Turpins. Abit like Garmin, who in the past had the SAFELY alerts installed as standard but now you have to paid annually.

I've never paid for safety cameras and they are still displayed on my Nav V and my Nav VI. Have you got POI enabled in the options, that is where the alerts are switched on.

Correct me if i'm wrong but they are called saftey cameras,

You need to pay a subscription £25 odd PA for them.

Once paid for and downloaded via GE you go into the menu's and turn them on

if you dont want them via garmin, you can go to one of the 3rd party suppliers and purchase / install from them

No correction required. Having almost got nabbed yesterday by a mobile speed detection van I have opted for the said 3rd party route. Paid, downloaded and loaded with POI loader. Will be testing it today, on a known road for this money making lark.

Speed Camera Database (SDC) costs £10 pa and an easy download to the Nav V

Speed Camera Database (SDC) costs £10 pa and an easy download to the Nav V

So why does all the Navs I look after have camera warnings and safety camera sites on the Nav and we pay nothing extra, on my personal Nav VI, I pay no subscription and they show. If you pay for a subscription service, it allows you to dynamically tell others of a camera van, so you get more accurate information, but static sites and potential sites are free on the Nav.

Just checked my nav V, alerts in poi, still there never paid for an update, has the op checked in setting- poi-alerts-safety cameras , ticked

So why does all the Navs I look after have camera warnings and safety camera sites on the Nav and we pay nothing extra, on my personal Nav VI, I pay no subscription and they show. If you pay for a subscription service, it allows you to dynamically tell others of a camera van, so you get more accurate information, but static sites and potential sites are free on the Nav.

I believe they remain on the Nav but just don't get updated unless you pay for a subscription....I do have a subscription to another provider but I find the Garmin ones better as if you travel abroad, you don't have to worry about downloading either KMH or MPH whereas some of the others are either or.

Yes, but those safety camera databases will not be updated unless you takeout a subscription with Garmin

Aren't you lucky, it's not a case of speeding, it's being aware in case you accidentally go over the limits, remember two or three miles over can result in an envelope appearing in the letterbox.
To those who say they never speed, we've all have gone over the limit no matter how carefully we are. So speed awareness is helpful, even to those who never break the law (those who think they haven't!)

Anyway, on a 30 day free trial with £16 a year thereafter, suppose it's alot cheaper than points going on a clean licence ?

Aren't you lucky, it's not a case of speeding, it's being aware in case you accidentally go over the limits, remember two or three miles over can result in an envelope appearing in the letterbox.
To those who say they never speed, we've all have gone over the limit no matter how carefully we are. So speed awareness is helpful, even to those who never break the law (those who think they haven't!)

Anyway, on a 30 day free trial with £16 a year thereafter, suppose it's alot cheaper than points going on a clean licence ?

That was a tongue in cheek comment about not speeding, by the way, although I do stick religiously to 30s and 40s. It's not the safety cameras I worry about, it's the camera vans and police with hand helds, is the database dynamically updated so you will know if there is a van around the corner?

I think its £10 for a download from here and just put it in ytou poi folder then enable on the gps https://www.scdb.info/en/

No need to do it every year unless your paranoid

The bmw satnag app connected to your mobile has the facility to purchase speed camersa databse at a fixed cost, Ive only bought it once and its not required a new subscription.

That was a tongue in cheek comment about not speeding, by the way, although I do stick religiously to 30s and 40s. It's not the safety cameras I worry about, it's the camera vans and police with hand helds, is the database dynamically updated so you will know if there is a van around the corner?

Most offer a report function whereby new mobile, fixed or even removed units can be added -

Your sub includes unlimited updates for 12 months

so before you go on a trip - update the camera's and maps ;)

Oh and the reason you pay so much ... apps, until those bloody freemium / premium things came along most stuff like this was FOC - but as soon as some smart arse saw the way to monitorise everything -

your just a cash cow ...

I think its £10 for a download from here and just put it in ytou poi folder then enable on the gps https://www.scdb.info/en/

You can also select your warnings as "Safety Warnings" with the appropriate icon so you don't fall fowl of the French and German plod.
They also do mobile radar alerts, but they can get to be a pain with the constant warnings when nothing's there.

Back
Top Bottom