SOS button & phone pairing ?

GSite

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All
Having read the post by peejay1977 on rejection of a 1250 GS, something that was mentioned sparked a thought. Forgive this dumb ass question, I may be guilty of making an "ass"umption re the SOS facility on my 1200 GSA Rallye, 2018 model with TFT.

I thought that the SOS facility worked independently of the phone you may or may not have paired to the bike, but now I am not so sure. Thought the collective would have knowledge on this, would anyone care to enlighten me please ?

It has its own phone module built in and uses its own sim card. The only thing the SOS system does in relation to your mobile is use it for the call centre to attempt to contact you.

I had it kick in last year in Slovenia after a minor off on some gravel, after the road surface “ended” and the surface became gravel / hardcore somewhat unexpectedly

It's definitely independent because the one time I had an off, my phone was dead and it still started phoning the service centre.

Make sense that it would be entirely independent, can you imagine buying a facility that only worked if you had you’re phone with you and charged up?

I have that button in and old BMW car, 3 year old grandchild in the back asked me one day what does it do? Her curiosity had been piqued as I had opened the sunroof by pressing adjacent button.

"That one doesn't do anything" I said and proceeded to demonstrate by pressing it. I was more than a little surprised when I got connected to a live agent as I had no phone connected to the car at the time. Something on the display suggested it was hooked into the SAT NAV as well!

Def indépendant, on the RT we don't have any TFT and unless you have audio, you don't connect anything to the bike :)

And I learned something new too! Thanks lol

The reason I thought that it was linked, is because when my phone doesn't pair I often get "SOS Function Failure" which never occurs if my phone is linked, hence the assumption.

Back
Top Bottom