1250GS, how reliable are they actually?

At 2 months old recovered to a dealer in Austria with a sensor problem. Various TFT glitches when starting, Usually these clear after a run so it looks like battery related. Odd brake fluid drops on floor. Ticking from L/H cylinder head. Usual screech from exhaust valve thing. All with 16 months. After saying that, I love the bike but cannot be bothered with all the niggly little problems so I'm getting rid of it. Me and BMW are all done. Never have another one.

Managed about 100 miles on my RT yesterday without anything going wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5000 miles on my 1250RT, no problems, 30000 on my 1200RT no problems except cracked rear disc carrier warranty claim, you never hear from the thousands of bikes out there without problems, just the few with problems, and some of those could be put down to lack of mechanical sympathy and rider abuse:rolleyes:

I love it when people say "I've had no problems except......" 😂
You've had problems then! No exceptions! 🤣
I found the other 1250 problems thread, made my mind up that I don't want to take the risk on another GS

I love it when people say "I've had no problems except......" ��
You've had problems then! No exceptions! ��
I found the other 1250 problems thread, made my mind up that I don't want to take the risk on another GS

Tell me which bikes don't have warranty issues?

Just take a look at other brand forums, they're all the same with whinging owners complaining about stuff that's fixed under warranty.

Then have a look a safety recalls and you'll find them all there. But hey, your money, your choice.

Tell me which bikes don't have warranty issues?

Just take a look at other brand forums, they're all the same with whinging owners complaining about stuff that's fixed under warranty.

Then have a look a safety recalls and you'll find them all there. But hey, your money, your choice.

I’ve never heard of another brand that needs complete engine changes , and it seems more than one on some bikes !

That's true, full engines! I mean, they should have got it right by now!
BMW had a reputation of bullet proof reliability, sadly lacking now imo

I’ve never heard of another brand that needs complete engine changes , and it seems more than one on some bikes !

Due to a bit of corrosion.

Better than leaking fuel systems running the risk of the bike going up in flames when riding...

Lots of people rate them but most change every couple of 3 years. some will say no probs in 9 or 10k miles, well fuck me side ways the bike has not had a major service yet.

If you are going to change in a 2 or 3 years you will be ok with warranty. Want reliability Japanese all the way. BMW are clever most people change at 3 years lots on pcp.
Bike goes back into Dealership and sold with 2 years more warranty. After that the bike very rarely sees a dealership so liability diminished. So in imho bikes are designed to last 5 years that includes quality of paint. Modern bikes are full of electronics and once they hit 5 years electronics will be expensive to repair. BMW want you to change your bike every 3 years - again very clever.

My next bike will be a T700 or 1200 Tenere and a basic one at that. Most bikes that are 20 years old are usually quite basic.

Regarding Triumphs

Ive recently come back from a camping trip which unknown me before i arrived, was hosting a Triumph owners club.
I remarked to one of them, how come a lot of you are riding bikes that are not Triumphs
His reply.... "cos they're shit now"
that opinion was shared by most i spoke too, they break down and rust apparently?

personally ive never bought one, however i was looking for a new bike and did actually like the look of the Tiger... it put me off
If a Triumph lover no longer likes them...... :blast

9'000'000 miles wow !!!!!!!!!!

That will teach me to read what i have typed. 9000 miles and i should have kept my mouth shut. Engine management light came on the other day, flappy valve sticking, booked in for new exhaust next Tuesday.

That will teach me to read what i have typed. 9000 miles and i should have kept my mouth shut. Engine management light came on the other day, flappy valve sticking, booked in for new exhaust next Tuesday.

What was the message on the TFT ? As for the flappy valve thing “ they alll do that sir”.

Only message on the was engine management fault and to ride to nearest dealer. North Oxford BMW diagnosed the problem. Had the flappy valve removed from my last Gs, but as this one is still in warranty I haven't touched it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom