Nav V doesn't turn on (sometimes)

farmhand

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
1200gs with a lockable mount, turn on the bike and sometimes the Nav doesn't turn on. If I remove it from the cradle and then turn it on it works but it doesn't interact with the bike and there is no wonder wheel action.
The bike has some warranty left on it but the problem is intermittent, I was out the other day wouldn't work, washed the bike today and tried it several times and it worked every time!
Any ideas/

Cheers

Try cleaning all the contacts on the cradle and sat nav with contact cleaner.

Cheers I did try that, I am hoping that made the difference and it now behaves itself

I had that problem on mine it was on and off, when i took it of the cradle and pressed the on off button sometimes it come on but not always
On mine it turned out to be the battery was on its way out

It turns on no problem independently of the mount, it's just playing up when in the mount. turn on the bike no Nav, remove from mount works a treat?

I've been having the same issue since my 12GS was new. Tried new Nav battery, new cradle and a different Nav V. About to go back to dealer for further investigation as it still plays up. Usually after a couple of stops and restarts, where it won't power up while in the cradle.

Out of interest do you have a TFT display?

My partner doesn't, and both Navs behave faultlessly on his 12GS....?

I’ve had water in my Nav cradle, probably from dealer pressure washing during service. This lead to erratic function and powering up. Stripped, cleaned and greased seal and all ok.

I had this issue on 1250. Mentioned it to the dealer and the SatNav was changed and now no problem. Thus it is an identified issue on early Nav VI and if it is in warranty period it gets changed so its a Garmin fault remedied on later iterations

I had this issue on 1250. Mentioned it to the dealer and the SatNav was changed and now no problem. Thus it is an identified issue on early Nav VI and if it is in warranty period it gets changed so its a Garmin fault remedied on later iterations

He has a Nav V

How long is the warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farmhand, my Nav 5, has had the same symptoms as yours on my R1200 GS LC. As per my earlier post in this thread, my local dealer has now checked out the contacts on the general modulator (under petrol tank). Fingers crossed, so far the Nav has behaved fine since and seems to power up quicker. Previously I couldn't rely on it to restart at all on the bike if the ignition had been off.

If you've exhausted other options it might be worth a mention to your dealer.

Many thanks to the excellent service at Alan Jefferies in Rotherham. :thumb

Farmhand, my Nav 5, has had the same symptoms as yours on my R1200 GS LC. As per my earlier post in this thread, my local dealer has now checked out the contacts on the general modulator (under petrol tank). Fingers crossed, so far the Nav has behaved fine since and seems to power up quicker. Previously I couldn't rely on it to restart at all on the bike if the ignition had been off.

If you've exhausted other options it might be worth a mention to your dealer.

Many thanks to the excellent service at Alan Jefferies in Rotherham. :thumb

Thanks for that, I ended up giving the contacts a good clean and fingers crossed it's worked ok so far.

Back
Top Bottom