Sensibly Priced Wicking Tee Shirts/Leggings

developer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having paid a lot for Knox, I need some more sets of basewear.

What have we found that works, but isn't a silly price?

Interestingly (but not very) the Knox stuff went all "bobbly" really quickly, meaning it looks a bit sh*t now.

There's stuff on Amazon for less than £25/set, but I've no idea if they are any good?

Arguably the best for moisture management, comfort, durablity and its ecological credentials is Patagonia. It also has a high initial purchase price but that's not the whole story.

I still wear a long sleeved Patagonia base layer top that I bought in California in 1999. It, amongst other things, was a distress purchase when BA lost our luggage for 48 hours.
I wore it in the heat of Death Valley that year. I've worn it under a mid layer and a bike jacket to ride in the depths of a Scottish winter. I wore it last week as a top in the height of
a Scottish summer....well, sort of.

I've also bought several other Patagonia base layers, in different weights over the years. They were mostly bought in the US when the exchange rate was more favourable but I've
still got them all and they're all still wearable.

It's not the cheapest on the market for sure, but this is what I used all across central Europe (up to about 37 degC) and it was awesome. That was back in 2018 and the gear is showing minimal wear and tear even though I've worn it regularly since...

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_IE/?ObjectID=42472890&ViewAction=ViewProduct

I have the matching leggins to go with it...worth every penny IMO :thumb2

Agreed. I’ve got a couple of Rukka base layers, and they’re brilliant. I still can’t work out how they keep you cool in the summer, yet warm in the winter!

The HH stuff in the post above is also very good.

Helly Hansen used to be brilliant. When the ships crankshaft broke we were stuck in Haugesund for an entire February, no heating throughout the ship because it came off the main engine cooling water. I bought a set of HH polar stuff in order to survive, that was in 1977, I still wear it in the depths of winter now and even the zip is still perfect. I burned a hole in one of the mitts though, although it is still usable, because it is irreplacable. It is too hot to use during a normal British winter, so the last 10 years it has seen minimal use, sitting in the woods waiting for animals to show themselves is when it gets used now.

For my Bering Strait expedition in 2012 I got some of their base layers that act like polar bear fur. How it works I don't know, but it does. I still use them and they look like new when they have been washed. BUT, a couple of years ago HH was sold and went all fashion orientated, so I don't know what their current stuff is like. IF they have maintained their quality integrity it will be superb. I use it for winter riding and only need a long sleeve base and a sweatshirt under my jacket.

Having paid a lot for Knox, I need some more sets of basewear.

What have we found that works, but isn't a silly price?

Interestingly (but not very) the Knox stuff went all "bobbly" really quickly, meaning it looks a bit sh*t now.

Aldi/Lidl merino wool when they have them for sale, other than that EDZ are are reasonable price. For synthetics I’ve had a chopped of sets of Pategonia that are comfortable, very good at wicking and last a long time. All are easy hand washed and dry quickly while way on trips. Currently also wearing Mountain Warehouse merino tops, which are ok for the price.

..........you can't beat spending the cash on ice breaker or the like

^^^This^^^

What's the point of saving a few quid when it means you're less comfortable :nenau

The other stuff that is really good is bamboo fibre clothing, I use it down the gym but occasionally on the bike where it's similar in performance to merino ~ I get mine from Bam https://bambooclothing.co.uk

Anything with man made fibres in is shit IMO, it might well wick but it's sweaty and it stinks by the end of the day............

Andres

Ive been using Pro Skins for a few years now, brilliant stuff. The BSB teams wear this when racing. They make a moto range. During hot weather it helps regulate your temp as well. Its ok in winter, but not as good as my marino HH kit, which is what I swap to when its really cold

^^^This^^^

What's the point of saving a few quid when it means you're less comfortable :nenau

The other stuff that is really good is bamboo fibre clothing, I use it down the gym but occasionally on the bike where it's similar in performance to merino ~ I get mine from Bam https://bambooclothing.co.uk

Anything with man made fibres in is shit IMO, it might well wick but it's sweaty and it stinks by the end of the day............

Andres

Stink is right

My merino stuff in various weights goes days and days without stinking where the couple of synthetic things i have tried were like a ripe Camembert by lunchtime

For me this means less packing for a trip and no washing on a trip but even when i have washed them out in the shower with me they dry by next morning

Invest is the best advice and the old Yorkshire saying of " buy cheap buy twice"

I like the Isocool shirts from Mountain Warehouse, as stated in their long thread.

Synthetic but I do not find they stink after a day. I like to be able to rinse them out for them to dry overnight. Rather more hygienic than wearing the same stuff all week. You can get by with just 2 of these shirts. Wear one in the evening for dinner and then the following day on the bike. Shower & wash shirt. Leave to dry whilst wearing 2nd shirt. Rinse and repeat.

For leggings, I wore EDZ polyester ones for years. Work okay but I think the merino ones work better. I have a 100% merino set from Aldi but I prefer the set with 15% polyester, which came from Millets I think. The Aldi ones are a bit thicker and feel a little itchy and a bit warm. The Millets ones were great in Spain & Portugal the last 2 years, under Rukka trousers.

Back
Top Bottom