Fuel Gauge

alanb2

Reaction score
2012 R 1200 Rallye, 10k miles
Here's a strange one! I took off the headlamps and clocks last week, and re-fitted them on Wednesday. When I turned on the ign. the yellow triangle lit up, FUEL! came on the screen, the fuel gauge registered nothing at all, and the little black fuel pump symbol also flashed. I scrolled thru the menu and the RANGE was -- --. After unplugging and re-plugging the connection several times and squirting it with contact cleaner there was no change. I went for a ride for 30 minutes hoping it might clear itself - it didn't, however I discovered that the OIL sensor wasn't working and one of the two trip milometers wasn't working also. Disconnected the battery for 30 minutes - no change. Thursday morning went through it all again - still no joy. Decided to visit my local dealer. As i couldn't be sure of the fuel level, I zeroed the one working trip, and rode to the local garage - 1 mile away. Brimmed the tank with just over 12 litres. 500 yards after leaving the garage I realised the yellow triangle was not showing and the gauge read full bars. The range read 180+ miles. After a few miles I pulled over and checked the OIL sensor and it read OK, and the 2nd trip was working. Turned it all on and off several times but it still all worked. Now, I can accept that filling the tank might have kicked the gauge into life, but how could that affect the OIL sensor and the 2nd trip? Anyway the reason for this post it to say if you ever have the same problem after disconnecting your clocks, before you give a lot of money to your dealer, just fill the tank up and see if that works. Alan

Back
Top Bottom