Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Microsoft office

Deadhead Member Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRick Esq. View Post
    Over the years we have tried a few "cheap" alternatives. for obvious reasons we can't use pirated or E bay versions etc

Experience has taught me that it is better to spend the money and have the right thing

Office 365 and the latest desktop version work hand in hand and cause no problems. for us it just works and although not the cheapest way a problem half way through a job is more expensive than paying for the correct software

Same goes for Adobe acrobat, yes there are cheaper versions out there but .....
    I've got to say thsat, over the years, this is exactly the conclusion I have come to when it comes to software (and a lot of other stuff TBH), you get what you pay for and I just want an easy life, I can't be arsed anymore with stuff that doesn't quite work......... Like Beksey above, I got caught out when I updated my OS and my personal copies of the Office suite stopped working so, despite hating the idea of subscription services and having resisted for as long as I could, I signed up to the full Office 365 suite.
    I use it mostly for work but also personal stuff and it just works, no drama

Andres
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    One of the five imbeciles of the vainglorious big swinging dick types of the Harley section

The free alternatives to Office are actually great, use them on other machines (e.g. laptop) and they work well. Office 365 seems to get renamed quite often now due to it's outages - Office 360, Office 355, etc.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by arealhuman View Post
    The free alternatives to Office are actually great, use them on other machines (e.g. laptop) and they work well. Office 365 seems to get renamed quite often now due to it's outages - Office 360, Office 355, etc.
    Until recently, when it changed it's name to Microsoft 365 it has, as far as I'm aware, always been called Office 365. At least it has for the 5 years or more that I've been using it.

The accountants changed the subscription base to a monthly paid service ,last year if memory serves. If you work for a large company you can see if they are registered for the Home use programme ,though even this has changed recently from a small amount for a download of the install DVD with free updates to only a discount on the full monthly subscription price

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/home...gram/resources

If you do require Microsoft office but are able to work with an older version say 2016, there are still licensed single PC installs available.

As with all Microsoft software there are varying versions of Office with more apps the more is paid in subscriptions

Caution : May stop suddenly

Quote Originally Posted by trebor View Post
    Until recently, when it changed it's name to Microsoft 365 it has, as far as I'm aware, always been called Office 365. At least it has for the 5 years or more that I've been using it.
    WHOOSH!
    If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
    Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....

Quote Originally Posted by Andi_archer View Post
    The accountants changed the subscription base to a monthly paid service ,last year if memory serves. If you work for a large company you can see if they are registered for the Home use programme ,though even this has changed recently from a small amount for a download of the install DVD with free updates to only a discount on the full monthly subscription price

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/home...gram/resources

If you do require Microsoft office but are able to work with an older version say 2016, there are still licensed single PC installs available.

As with all Microsoft software there are varying versions of Office with more apps the more is paid in subscriptions

I'm using Office 2019 Professional on my home laptop - cost about £20. However, can not be transferred to another machine, but at £20?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Blackal View Post
    WHOOSH!
    OK, I missed the joke, I was thrown by the outages statement, I wasn't aware that Office 365 had been subject to them, but then I don't use the on-line version (in fact I'd forgotten it even exists) the subscription version works perfectly well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bean View Post
    I'm using Office 2019 Professional on my home laptop - cost about £20. However, can not be transferred to another machine, but at £20?
    Yea one of those "specials" that supposed to be sold with an OEM system not on its own,its a dark web of licensing legalese with these.
    https://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/ offers a few options for various software in a similar manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Andi_archer View Post
    Yea one of those "specials" that supposed to be sold with an OEM system not on its own,its a dark web of licensing legalese with these.
    Is there an issue with it?

Surely if there was a problem Microsoft would prevent the software download?

No you will be fine it will work as normal and update as required [ as also do many of the lesser [cough] licensed versions of MS products]
    Microsoft dont see what your installing on so its only technically a breech of the license.
    Nothing to worry about.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123