Microsoft office

will

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just bought the wife a new laptop and now she needs Microsoft office 2019 any one seen any deals there are some cheap ones on eBay but seems to cheap and from Microsoft ££££££££ :thumb

Just bought the wife a new laptop and now she needs Microsoft office 2019 any one seen any deals there are some cheap ones on eBay but seems to cheap and from Microsoft ££££££££ :thumb

Does she really need Office 2019? There are other alternatives, Office 365 is good and there are a number of free alternatives.

do either of you work for a large company or public body like a school, NHS, GCHQ, council?

I work for a local authority and we can access a subsidised copy of Office via the "staff discount" scheme. Cost me a tenner last time I upgraded and I installed that on my old Samsung laptop and now the current Lenovo. Legit to transfer if only used on one machine.

No unfortunately we don’t my wife needs a little bit of training so we were going to buy the courses but you need Microsoft to use the new laptop is windows 10 does that mean the older versions of Microsoft won’t work on it

No unfortunately we don’t my wife needs a little bit of training so we were going to buy the courses but you need Microsoft to use the new laptop is windows 10 does that mean the older versions of Microsoft won’t work on it

I've bought a few single licence MS Office suites from Amazon resellers for around £15.00 - you can only use them on one machine, so can't swap to another if the machine goes faulty. But for £15.00?

Currently using this purchase on one of the machines.

Attachments

• Office.PNG
    Office.PNG
    35.3 KB · Views: 221
I bought the full office suite on a recommendation from here. The supplier was The Unity Soft.
Everything downloaded faultlessly and the serial key is emailed to you. Lifetime updates. I think it was £32

I went for the full suite as I wanted Outlook. If you dont need an email client , one of the £19 suggested above will be fine.

I've bought a couple of copies from eBay for a few quid and they've been fine. Sellers usually state that the licences have been 'reclaimed' from scrap computers and are perfectly legal & above board.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    102 KB · Views: 214
I used to have 365, but thought it an indulgence - so uninstalled it, cancelled the subscription and installed 2019 pro.

It seems to have morphed into 365, and keeps on updating!

TBH - I’d be happier with 2016 and leave it at that.

Older versions will work with Win 10. Mine is the full Professional 2016 suite.

I just looked, my employer's latest offer is not so generous. All that is on offer is a 30% discount on the 365 annual subscription, for £40 instead of £60. Per year!

Why does she ‘need’ MS Office rather than one of the better/cheaper/free alternatives?

365 is yearly subscription needs to use excel word and PowerPoint :beerjug:

if your not using the latest version of ppt. you are more than likely going to have serious compatability issues when you come to present, MS products are renowned for forgetting fonts, images and tables if the machine can't workout which version you got it's like russian roulette...

spread sheets not so much but.. there's issues with it all...

office 365 also give you a shared drive, collaborative workflows, (which you can also use by mixinf it with google drive)

if buy some old crap bit of patchy software the real way forward..?

Next you could say that leeches cure headaches... or instead of reading news you going to ask the runes from a weather update, who needs maps in the olds you just went off and at some point you'd comeback...

but then each to their own

perhaps you could have bought her an etch a sketch I'm told they can be used to create very life like pieces of art...

if your not using the latest version of ppt. you are more than likely going to have serious compatability issues when you come to present, MS products are renowned for forgetting fonts, images and tables if the machine can't workout which version you got it's like russian roulette...

spread sheets not so much but.. there's issues with it all...

office 365 also give you a shared drive, collaborative workflows, (which you can also use by mixinf it with google drive)

if buy some old crap bit of patchy software the real way forward..?

Next you could say that leeches cure headaches... or instead of reading news you going to ask the runes from a weather update, who needs maps in the olds you just went off and at some point you'd comeback...

but then each to their own

perhaps you could have bought her an etch a sketch I'm told they can be used to create very life like pieces of art...

So you are saying 365 or nothing ??

Like Mr. Bean I got Office 2019 off of Amazon several months ago - bought two licences for £10 each and both have worked on seperate PCs perfectly since then.

So you are saying 365 or nothing ??

not really I use google docs with clients as it's a live collaborative document, and means you don't end up with mulitple different copies in circulation or different versions modified by the software which affects formatting. I also use open office/ Apache which is like MS office but has a few quirks the problem is simple either you live in a connected workflow with others and it finding a common path for all or your isolated with some issues to over come...

if isolation works for you why bother with a computer..?

pen and paper is safer and won't need updating every 5 mins...

Back
Top Bottom