Changed from 2018 1200 Rallye TE to new 1250 Exclusive TE = first impressions

Piggers

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi , for anyone interested, these are my initial findings from the change from 1200 Rallye TE to 1250 Exclusive TE.

Power and torque is noticeably better. More smiles per mile when accelerating and overtaking.
Turning is much quicker - I can only image due to the Alloys in place of Spoked wheels. (Hated trying to keep the spoked clean so double win)
The 1200 had more Engine Braking, this has made me have to change my riding slightly (one advantage for the 1200 in my opinion)
the 1250 has less vibes ( could just be the rubber inserts in the pegs,) but the 1200 wasn't badly vibbey.
Oddly the wind buffeting does not appear to be there with the standard screen like I remember it on my 1200, although the only difference is the HP Billet Mirrors (I did not order them, but the bike was oddly supplied with them from Germany !! (The dealer did not know why and they said they hadn't paid for them so a freebie )
1250 brakes feel much better to me.
Overall very pleased with the upgrade.

Cheers, Piggers

Piggers, I made the same bike change as you and, with around 7,500 miles on the 1250, agree with your comments with the excrption of the buffeting. To me they are very similar (very good).

One additional improvement is the hill-hold assist. I love this feature and the release on the 1250 is so much, much smoother. The 1200 needed a good few revs and had an abrupt release, often making me feel like a novice when pulling away. Guess the controlling software has been fine tuned.

Overall, a significant improvement over an already great all-rounder.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

One additional improvement is the hill-hold assist. I love this feature and the release on the 1250 is so much, much smoother. The 1200 needed a good few revs and had an abrupt release, often making me feel like a novice when pulling away. Guess the controlling software has been fine tuned.

I see this comment quite a bit and I'm a bit puzzled. I've had it enabled for a while on my '15 GSA and it doesn't need any extra throttle at all, just needs feathering the clutch a bit more using normal revs and off it goes. Quite handy when stopped at lights on a hill (eg in Plymouth which has plenty of both!).

I see this comment quite a bit and I'm a bit puzzled. I've had it enabled for a while on my '15 GSA and it doesn't need any extra throttle at all, just needs feathering the clutch a bit more using normal revs and off it goes. Quite handy when stopped at lights on a hill (eg in Plymouth which has plenty of both!).

Same here. Whilst no doubt it has been improved on the 1250, I don't find it's using much of an issue on the 1200. Took 2-3 attempts to get the hang of it, but rarely do I now give it a second thought.

And agree, whilst folks will sneer, the feature comes into it's own when stopping at lights on hills, especially when fully loaded. It's not a necessity but it is a nice feature to have.

I suspect this may have to do more with fuelling than HHC. The 1200 GSA I had was as described before fitting the AF-XIED units. With those on it became a much nicer beast at pulling away, and the GSAP was smoother too. That’s consistent with a slightly richer mixture, which is what those units measurably produce.

The initial work Roger04RT has done investigating the 1250 fuelling suggests it’s quite different from, and better than the 1250, which is certainly how it felt to my untrained bum when I rode one recently.

Or it could just be the pixies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I suspect this may have to do more with fuelling than HHC. The 1200 GSA I had was as described before fitting the AF-XIED units. With those on it became a much nicer beast at pulling away, and the GSAP was smoother too. That’s consistent with a slightly richer mixture, which is what those units measurably produce.

The initial work Roger04RT has done investigating the 1250 fuelling suggests it’s quite different from, and better than the 1250, which is certainly how it felt to my untrained bum when I rode one recently.

Or it could just be the pixies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes I have also, and cheep than 1250.

The reason i didn't mention it in my first post, is that i don't use it very often, so no big deal but on the 1250 you hardly notice it when you pull away, whereas on the 1200 it felt like the brake was still on for a short while. As you say on the 1200 just need to give a bit more throttle when pulling away.
These are the first two bikes ive had it on, so wouldn't have missed it if it wasn't there.

Cheers,

Back
Top Bottom