Audio upgrade for glide models.

Rugged Path

The Honourable.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It looks as though my Harmon Kardon player has ‘somewhat’ expired on my 2010 FLHTCU.
It works through the centre console socket to headphones but not when switched to speakers.
Previously installed the Hogtunes ‘Big Ultra’ kit and everything was great. And suddenly one day no loud music.
Hogtunes support troubleshooting by bypassing their amp to speakers still gave nothing and they say the OEM CD/radio player is well known for problems.

So, has anyone installed an updated aftermarket sound system whereby replacing CD with a Bluetooth setup?
A player with sufficient memory to store music files (mp3 or flac)?
Preferably plug and play to make life simple.

Specific US models cost too much so looking at either Sony or Pioneer.
Main idea is to try and keep the audio switchgear functions.

Patria o Muerte

if the music goes to switch and then is switched to headset or speaker. So im sure if it works in helmet the main unit should be working. unless there are two supplies to switch from head unit. one for headset and one for speaker. ?

It may be the 3-way switch that is the problem on the dash console. I need to take the panel off to look underneath.

For now, thinking of upgrading anyway to a Pioneer marine grade Bluetooth player if it turns out the OEM is fucked. Again, who wants to carry round a stack of CD’s.

In the US; it is possible to buy a pre-made wiring and cover kits to install aftermarket players.
Are these available from someone in the U.K. or EU?

Patria o Muerte

It would depend on what the pin outs are on the back of the units

I'm surmising here, so bear with me ..

CD/ Transport plays std CD'd mp3's etc

Separate amp takes feed (anolouge / digital ) from Cd / transport and outputs to speakers ?

If it's just replacing a std DC head unit, with a std ISO plug at the back , then you can with pretty much replace it with anything ( assuming it meets the waterproofs requirements )

Likewise if you dont want a cd head unit, more of a media jukebox / mp3 player (with BT) there are units available

The issue arises if the amp has a propitiatory plug or pin setup, that way you would need a pin out diagram for both the Head unit & amp -

Neither insurmountable, just more time consuming

The only time you have issues if if the amp is pared to its own brand or matching partner stuff

If the amp is not capable od decoding MP3's then your prolly going to need a headunit that does everything

some other options for mp3s. a 12v bluetooth receiver wired into aux port . all wired from inside fairing. A 12v powered usb/sd player into the aux.
The head unit has a self diagnostic function. which allows you to test the switches. speakers ect.

Back
Top Bottom