Stramge Noise coming off throttle R1200GS

mpgscott

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So got the bike all back together and was out a ride and it is running fine except when coming off the throttle at around 65mph i can hear a whining noise. Thought it was just wheel/tyre noise as didnt seem to get worse if i coasted with the clutch in.

When i got home i put it up on the centre stand and ran it, through first its nice and fine but in 5-6th coming off the throttle there is an office noise once you let it run back down itself. Dont think its anything on the final drive thats just been re-built? When i serviced the bike the gearbox didnt have any metal fillings when i drained it down oil looked nice, i filled it back up and did the FD so just not sure.

Sounds like gearbox noise to me whats the thoughts from the quick video i did below. Its about 26secs where its interesting where i get the speedo upto 70 in 5th on the centre stand and come off the throttle.

https://youtu.be/wLiwtWK-QXQ

Bike runs lovely out on the road and the gears are lovely and smooth.

Thanks
Mark

Have you determined if it's gear or speed related?

Seems odd that it was fine then not? Meaning is likely to be something to do with what was taken apart?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

All that was off was the FD and the shaft, full service all fluids. when i drained the gearbox the oil looked nice nothing untoward, the bike runs through the gears really nicely its smooth and pulls fine through them all. On the road the only thing is a light whine at around 65mph more when coming off the throttle.

Just not sure what it is, you would think if the gears then it would be missing or something but its not. Could be bearings in gearbox i suppose, my understanding is the gearboxes are agricultural but pretty bullet proof but can be noisy, this is just concerning the amount of noise as you rev and then come off the throttle and let it run down the speed itself.

Running it like that on the centre stand with cause all manner of rattling and banging as the UJ's on the drive shaft etc will clatter about...at least this is my understanding.

If you have a camera (go-pro) or something similar with a built in mic you could position it down there and ride the bike, failing that I'd take it to somewhere with a rolling road that can test it under and off load.

Running it like that on the centre stand with cause all manner of rattling and banging as the UJ's on the drive shaft etc will clatter about...at least this is my understanding.

If you have a camera (go-pro) or something similar with a built in mic you could position it down there and ride the bike, failing that I'd take it to somewhere with a rolling road that can test it under and off load.

Yes, hoping its just me running it in a way its not supposed to be done. I have a go-pro so will set it up down by gearbox and take it a run in the morning.

Don’t think running it on the centre stand will help whatever the problem is

THIS !

All sorts of noises are exacerbated doing this plus the shaft is not meant to running at this angle with no load and certainly not in top gear speeds(Even at tickover! which is even worse on it )

Go ride it some more and if its still there bung straight Mineral EP 80/90 GL5 in the gearbox if you are really worried

THIS !

All sorts of noises are exacerbated doing this plus the shaft is not meant to running at this angle with no load and certainly not in top gear speeds(Even at tickover! which is even worse on it )

Go ride it some more and if its still there bung straight Mineral EP 80/90 GL5 in the gearbox if you are really worried

Thanks Folks,

Im doing my usual and maybe overthinking things. Was out a run now put the go-pro down by the gearbox and am uploading the videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOfE3BHIXRA would appreciate if anyone can take a look. This is a shorter one at 30mph coming back to house. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7Bd2-nXL9U Thanks..

Back
Top Bottom