Throttle Body Stop Screw.

meintjiesj

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Getting bike ready for a trip next week and noticed right hand side TB stop screw is missing. Reading up a bit left me bit worried as it seems it is not within my capabilities to to replace it and get it setup correct again. Will BMW garage be able to do this?

Does the bike run okay?? Does one side seem hotter than the other ??

IN reality it "should " be as simple as to get the bike to working temp

Park up on centre stand replace the stop screw

Take out both Big Brass Screws ONE at a time BUT "Count" 1/2 turns in to fully closed first and write that down some where

Clean the tapered ends with some solvent or brake cleaner don't use sandpaper, a cloth and brake or carb cleaner is enough

Refit them to fully closed don't over do it! Just screw it in till it stops! do not use any force. it should tickover okay now that its hot

Set up Vac gauges and balance the throttles ONLY with the stop screw you replaced! I suspect you will have to slacken the cable adjustment to allow you to do that
You want to screw that one in or out until you get the two values approximately right making sure that when you

and then reset the tickover with the big brass screws making sure there is a little slack in the cable adjusters when finished

I very much suspect that when you finish you are going to have a clacking sound at tickover from a worn throttle body / spindle It doesn;t really do any harm but is annoying and very disconcerting

There are kits to change the spindles in them

Hope that helps

@DrFarkoff, thanks so much for the very descriptive write up. I actually noticed the missing screws when I was trying to balance the TB. The RH side has the annoying ticking sound I have a rebuild kit on its way, will leave that till I get back from the trip. But what was strange is that the RH side without the stop screw was actually registering on the vac gauges but the LH one was not. Tried adjusting LH but couldn't get it to register (did swop attachments to rule out vac gauge fault). Is that normal for one side to not register at all, i.e. and the one with stop screw in? Even looked at some second hand TB, bike is at 50K miles and was running very well up till a few weeks agao and thought she was starting to sound a bit asthmatic lately

Bike Model R1100 R850 R1150 ???

GS R S RS RT ??

Would help

If it is a twin spark they can get a bit tired if they loose the main stick coil

They will run but not great

Hi DrFarkoff, sorry stupid of me not to give details. 1999 R1150GS. Single spark, 50K miles

Back
Top Bottom