Thread: GS Meeting Norway

GS Meeting Norway

Not much fun going on this season, but I am glad to announce that the 19th edition of the Norwegian GS Meeting will run as planned 10-13th September!

At present at least, Brits are welcome to enter Norway without any quarantine procedures – as long as you do not come through Sweden. We usually have people from Sweden, Finland, Germany and the Netherlands, but could use some Brits as well!

This is not a luxury rally. You have to bring tent, food and drink. (There will be some evening meal service, but don't expect too much.) There are no bands or anything like that, but there might be a slideshow from some cool ride.

The main attraction is what may be the best gravel group rides in Europe, on the endless gravel roads in the border area of Norway and Sweden. (That part of Sweden is "covid green".) Wether you are a noob on street tires or Simon Pavey's unknown son, we'll have something for you.

More info at http://www.gsmeeting.com

Note that we will probably implement some sort of pre-registration this year, so do check the site and the Facebook-page before you come.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I’m not going to know until maybe 10 days before the event if I’m going to be working but if I’m not it looks as if it could be a decent weekend away. The dates are for the Thursday through to Saturday so catch the Saturday ferry to either Hirtshals or Frederikshavn, straight down to the Hook and home by 9am on Monday.

I’d probably leave home on the overnight ferry on Saturday 5th and just head north using local weather forecasts as my tour guide and booking.com for a bed before camping at the meeting.

Anyone else fancy a late summer trip to Norway? If the weather is half decent then I’d probably just keep going until Hirtshals, overnight there Sunday and be in Norway by 2pm on the Monday leaving 3 days to just drift around aimlessly or if it’s grim up there hang around northern Germany for an extra couple of days.

There’ll be an element of doubt until really close to the dates because of potential restrictions due to the UK being a disease ridden hole but that just adds to the excitement

Update: GS Meeting Norway will be closed to all foreigners this year. Sorry, hopefully we can welcome you back next year.

On the bright side: It is still ok to travel here from UK without quarantine, but it requires you to take the ferry direct to the north of Denmark, then a new ferry to Norway. You cannot ride up.

https://www.fhi.no/en/op/novel-coron...dvice-COVID19/

Quote Originally Posted by ThorH View Post
    Update: Sorry, hopefully we can welcome you back next year.

https://www.fhi.no/en/op/novel-coron...dvice-COVID19/
    That's a shame - but I think that next year there will be big demand for gatherings like this. Everyone's a bit fed up with the lockdowns / quarantines - I think there'll be lots of us who are really ready for an interesting event like that.
    The Other PaulG

...you should never underestimate what a wonderful thing you have all done here - Chad, Dec 2018

It’s a pity it’s no longer an option for UK riders but there’ll be other years and other places to visit.