Treetop Tuning ECU remap - opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe you should have listened at school / try reading

As a vehicle burns petrol (...to push the piston down, which in turn spins the crank, ultimately moving the back wheel), the idea is to make the best use of the energy released. To do this well on a petrol engine, you need to get the right ratio of air to fuel.

The ratio can vary a bit depending upon conditions (temp, altitude, cruising, hard acceleration, etc.) but not by much. Any unburnt fuel produces undesirable emissions, waste resources, makes the oil dirty, washes off lube etc. To better control what's going on someone invented a sensor that's sitting in the exhaust gas flow, sniffing out what’s happening. Under the right conditions where gas flow is sufficient to get a reliable reading the vehicle goes in to a “closed loop” scenario where the fuel being injected is directly linked to the exhaust gases being sniffed by the CAT sensor. This can be optimised to reduce emissions favourably.

Unfortunately, it can’t do closed loop all the time (low revs, constant on off acceleration, broken / faulty sensor etc.) so then it goes “Open loop” and here the CAT sensor doesn’t get to play ball. During this phase only the engine fuel map is used as is.

The trouble is if the focus is only on emissions, it doesn’t make for an engine that works properly under a multitude of varying conditions.... in a car with loads of rubber mounts, slop in the suspension / drive train and four tyres and a lots of lead to dampen out the recalcitrant mess, no one really cares. But on a bike dropping it in traffic just because some moron thought they knew what they were doing is unacceptable.

More power, better control, less jaggies in the curve, all matter when you know what you are doing or just don’t want to fall off for fun.... So you need to modify the vehicle to fill in the gaps where the map (in open loop) or the CAT (in closed loop) want to starve the engine of enough fuel to run properly

its very simple,

if you think its ok, you are really a car driver.
if you have issues you're a proper biker

maybe you should have listened at school / try reading

As a vehicle burns petrol (...to push the piston down, which in turn spins the crank, ultimately moving the back wheel), the idea is to make the best use of the energy released. To do this well on a petrol engine, you need to get the right ratio of air to fuel.

The ratio can vary a bit depending upon conditions (temp, altitude, cruising, hard acceleration, etc.) but not by much. Any unburnt fuel produces undesirable emissions, waste resources, makes the oil dirty, washes off lube etc. To better control what's going on someone invented a sensor that's sitting in the exhaust gas flow, sniffing out what’s happening. Under the right conditions where gas flow is sufficient to get a reliable reading the vehicle goes in to a “closed loop” scenario where the fuel being injected is directly linked to the exhaust gases being sniffed by the CAT sensor. This can be optimised to reduce emissions favourably.

Unfortunately, it can’t do closed loop all the time (low revs, constant on off acceleration, broken / faulty sensor etc.) so then it goes “Open loop” and here the CAT sensor doesn’t get to play ball. During this phase only the engine fuel map is used as is.

The trouble is if the focus is only on emissions, it doesn’t make for an engine that works properly under a multitude of varying conditions.... in a car with loads of rubber mounts, slop in the suspension / drive train and four tyres and a lots of lead to dampen out the recalcitrant mess, no one really cares. But on a bike dropping it in traffic just because some moron thought they knew what they were doing is unacceptable.

More power, better control, less jaggies in the curve, all matter when you know what you are doing or just don’t want to fall off for fun.... So you need to modify the vehicle to fill in the gaps where the map (in open loop) or the CAT (in closed loop) want to starve the engine of enough fuel to run properly
I listened pretty hard at school, but we never covered this.

Perhaps, but I know of bmw technicians who have tried the before and after, and are clear there has been a +ve change.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Hey, don’t you come on here and make out that an armchair critic with absolutely no experience of the topic in question could be off the mark.

i never thought this would run to 4 pages

You’ve not been here long, have you? It’ll run to about 20 pages, then one of the mods will close it, once everyone has got over excited.

I think he/she means that.............

Some people pay somebody to fuck around with their engine and are happy with their bike. They then ride their bike with a big smile on their face.

Some people don't pay somebody to fuck around with their engine and are happy with their bike. They then ride their bike with a big smile on their face.

Some people love to argue about theoretical shit because it is important. Very important. They then ride their bike with a big smile on their face.

Does that help? :D

Andres

Brilliant! Thanks. It's all clear now. :confused:

can anyone give me a clue how they can enrichen the mixer when its in open loop? I get if they lie to the bike in closed loop it will help. But how does it get richer low down where most of the bugs are...

also it can't fix the ignition curve which these days is another area the manufacturers use to keep it from making any power past the noise meter

should be noted the early version of the xfids no longer work on later bikes, BMW re wrote the LC engine map to make them go wrong. A mk2 version is needed on the LC or a recently released inline patch cable brings the originals back and cancels the eml fault after the bike's I-level is updated

Use your GS911 or MotoScan app and look at the Additive fuel trims and Multiplicative fuel trims. The Additive fuel trims read and act instantly from the lambda sensors in closed loop, the Multiplicative fuel trims are learnt from the additive fuel trims and improve the fueling in open loop.
Put simply the open loop learns from the closed loop, hence the need to run a couple of tanks of fuel for the open loop to learn.
If you clear all adaptations or disconnect the battery the open loop will need to re learn.

No It can`t alter the ignition curve, but the barometric sensor, rpm ,knock sensors, etc can control it.

On the LC BMW on start up, the self check tested the lambda sensors, as the sensors were being manipulated by the AF-XIED`s it reported a fault.
The "patch cable" is just a relay to switch the AF-XIED`s out of circuit until the self check has finished then it switches them back into circuit.

I think he/she means that.............

Some people pay somebody to fuck around with their engine and are happy with their bike. They then ride their bike with a big smile on their face.

Some people don't pay somebody to fuck around with their engine and are happy with their bike. They then ride their bike with a big smile on their face.

Some people love to argue about theoretical shit because it is important. Very important. They then ride their bike with a big smile on their face.

Does that help? :D

Andres

Noooooo. There's a fair community of miserable bastards on here who wouldn't know a smile if it walked up and punched them in the face :D

You’ve not been here long, have you? It’ll run to about 20 pages, then one of the mods will close it, once everyone has got over excited.
I think you are wrong, I get the feeling f800driver has been here before and I smell a rat.

I have nothing to do with hilltop, treetop or any other dyno company. i am genuinely just trying to find out where/how/why to get my RT re-mapped etc!

I have nothing to do with hilltop, treetop or any other dyno company. i am genuinely just trying to find out where/how/why to get my RT re-mapped etc!
Fairy snuff, I'm assuming the RT is a hexhead/TC

The first major benefit is decatted heads, then and end can, something like Brisk plugs, a standard air filter, changed regularly (unless you own shares in K&N) will mean you will get the full benefits of any tuning/remap. Realistically around 110bhp and maybe 115bhp ish at the rear wheel. It isn't just about the extra bhp, I could pull a higher gear, fully laden then previously (all things being equal), made it smoother and more flexible around the 4K hole.

It is better to stick with someone who can show that they have recent experience of working on that model. I go to bbr for work on a Cosworth and Ruff for the 996, but not the other way around despite both being very reputable and experienced tuners.

BSD are very good, sit down and talk with Mark, he can give you clear advice about what is/is not achievable, but you need to know what you want to improve/change first.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

thanks nice bit of extra info :okay

Use your GS911 or MotoScan app and look at the Additive fuel trims and Multiplicative fuel trims. The Additive fuel trims read and act instantly from the lambda sensors in closed loop, the Multiplicative fuel trims are learnt from the additive fuel trims and improve the fueling in open loop.
Put simply the open loop learns from the closed loop, hence the need to run a couple of tanks of fuel for the open loop to learn.
If you clear all adaptations or disconnect the battery the open loop will need to re learn.

No It can`t alter the ignition curve, but the barometric sensor, rpm ,knock sensors, etc can control it.

On the LC BMW on start up, the self check tested the lambda sensors, as the sensors were being manipulated by the AF-XIED`s it reported a fault.
The "patch cable" is just a relay to switch the AF-XIED`s out of circuit until the self check has finished then it switches them back into circuit.

I beg to differ, If you would like to pm me your email address I can send you hours of recorded data using the AF-Xied`s
on many different 1200GS bikes.
The data can be viewed using Logworks 3 by Graph or instruments if you prefer.
I have nothing to do with the company, I just like a product that can be recorded and proven to work.

Agree. I have done 5k miles with AF-XIED fitted and on setting 7. popping and banging from the exhaust on the over run gone (which is worth the price alone!), pickup from low rpm improved, mpg improvement, not much, 1 to 2 mpg is not earth shattering, but an improvement. I'm very happy with it and easily fitted in an afternoon in the confort of your own shed/drive/pavement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom